PDA

View Full Version : With thanks to Mr. Tibbetts!

Dave Carey
03-30-2008, 1:54 PM
My wife and I visited friends in New Mexico last week, so about 6 weeks ago I decided to try and make my first segmented bowl using Malcolm Tibbetts' book as a guide. I couldn't decide to title this post with thanks or apologies to Mr. Tibbetts. The bowl is 9" high and 8.5" in diameter. It would have been less round and flatter ala the exemplar in the book had I not refined the neck so much as to make the outside smaller than the inside, as I seen it said here. The wood is walnut and ash from a friend's farm in King, George, VA; mahogany from another friend's 100 year old bed that his wife wanted out of the house but that he couldn't bear taking to the dump; maple from another friend's backyard in Oakton, VA; and purpleheart from eBay. This may in fact be my "second" segmented bowl - my first and my last! You segmented turners have a lot of patience! Cheers

Brian Brown
03-30-2008, 2:41 PM
Gee Dave, Don't give up so easy. You haven't done one yet with 10,000 pieces. (neither have I.) This one looks great, and looks like you managed to avoid that inside bigger than the outside problem. Keep trying. You don't have anything else better to do with your time anyway, right?

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-30-2008, 2:53 PM
Dave,
I appreciate the acknowledgement. You really need to post a much larger photo for people to see. This is not a "begineer" segmented project, so if this is only your second attempt - bravo!. I love the idea of using woods with "meaning" and stories. Don't give up on segmenting quite yet; you show real potential.

Ben Gastfriend
03-30-2008, 3:08 PM
Wow! Looks great to me. I haven't tried anything in the segmented arena yet, but by the looks of it, you did a good job. I'll agree on the bigger picture thing.

Bill Wyko
03-30-2008, 7:04 PM
Your patterns are done very well. If you are unsure of how the shape will be just make your segments wider so you have more wiggle room. Don't give up yet Dave! It'll get easier and you'll challenge yourself to create new designs. Malcolms book has a lot of info to absorb. Read it over and over, you'll learn more each time, trust me. Nice job.

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Great looking piece Dave. Very nicely done.

Richard Madison
03-31-2008, 12:12 AM
What they said. That's a great looking piece, Dave. Lots of cutting and fitting on those feature segments.

Consider writing up something about the source of each wood, including names, dates, and some interesting details of how you obtained each kind of the wood. Stuff one copy of your write-up inside the piece. Posterity will thank you and cherish your memory.

Dave Carey
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. My comment about this perhaps being "both my first and last segmented bowl" was a bit tongue in cheek. It actually was a very interesting process, and the result was worth it; my friends that we were visiting liked it and after all it was a gift for them. Malcolm Tibbetts' book was terrific. The instructions were clear (though they warrant several readings before they're put into practice) and the pictures were very helpful. Again, thanks for the encouragement! That's one of the things I love about this site. Cheers

Tom Sherman
03-31-2008, 1:17 PM
Dave I believe that you have done a wonderful job. For your first attempt at a segmented piece this one ranks up on the top shelf.

Mike Golka
03-31-2008, 8:39 PM
<P>Thats far better than my first attempt. Don't give up on segmenting yet!!</P>

Cary Swoveland
04-01-2008, 1:41 PM
Cary to Carey:

Very nice job, but you do yourself a disservice by not having a better picture. As Malcomb said, it's it not big enough, and it's too dark.

Cary