PDA

View Full Version : First thread (Nice wall shelf)

Amanda Chritz
03-30-2008, 9:57 AM
HI my name is Amanda, but everybody calls me Skeeterbean. Yes as you my no i am a girl. My dad Joe Chritz and i built this nice wall shelf. I hated the staining and finishing. The sanding wasn't so bad. Here are some pics of it and me making it.:D8533785338

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Amanda....Nice project! I'm sure you and your Dad are proud of it. Since this is more of a General Wood Working project, I'm going to take the liberty of moving it to that forum.

Keep up the good work....work safely and learn all you can from your talented Dad!

Ted Calver
03-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Amanda,
I hope you signed it. Skeeterbean originals...only in the finest homes and establishments. Good job!! :)

Doug Shepard
03-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Nice job Skeeterbean. The finishing isnt one of my favorite steps either.

Brian Kent
03-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Great job. Keep it up. Thanks for showing us your work!

Jim Dunn
03-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Very nice Amanda. Thanks for posting. I hate finishing and sanding too:o it don't get any easier as you get older either:eek::D

John Thompson
03-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Very nice, Skeeterbean. The Waterlox finish looks fine and was a good choice as it's easy to work with compared to some others. I've been a wood mechanic for 36 years and as many... hate finish. It's just a necessary evil as it it the last detail but the first that people see at the conclussion.

Since you have all that news-paper spread on the bench... remove the shelf and just call a bunch of friends and have a craw-fish or shrimp boil. You are already set up with the news-paper covering the bench.. Only thing left would be boiling and eatin'.. :D

Sarge..

Amanda Chritz
03-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Thank you:):):):):):) Everybody at school wood be laughing at me.

Amanda Chritz
03-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you:):):):):):) Everybody at school wood be laughing at me. Everyone can make stuff even girls like me!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

David Sallee
03-30-2008, 1:10 PM
Hey Skeeterbean, welcome to the forum and nice job on the shelf! Keep up the great work and keep showing your work..

I actually like the sanding part of woodworking, taking something "rough" and making it perfect!

Dave

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2008, 1:14 PM
Everyone can make stuff even girls like me!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Amanda....if you look around here. There are some pretty talented "female" woodworkers here...and elsewhere. Gender really doesn't play a big role in woodworking.....it non-gender specific!

gary Zimmel
03-30-2008, 1:33 PM
Welcome to the Creek Skeeterbean. Great job on the wall shelf.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to pictures of your next project.

Lars Thomas
03-30-2008, 4:52 PM
Very well done Amanda. Although you may not have liked finishing it, it certainly looks like it turned out well. Lars

Joe Chritz
03-30-2008, 4:56 PM
:D

She ran everything but the tablesaw and shaper. Granted with heavy supervision but lots of people at work tell me I need the same thing.

SCMS, Kreg jig, Biscuit cutter, ROS and hand sanding and oscillating belt and spindle sander.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2008, 5:17 PM
:D

Granted with heavy supervision but lots of people at work tell me I need the same thing.
Joe

It's probably genetic!:rolleyes:

Ron Jones near Indy
03-30-2008, 5:36 PM
Very nice work, Skeeterbean! I'm glad to see you and your dad working together on such a useful project. I hope this is just your start in woodworking. Thanks for sharing this with us. I know your dad is very proud of you and your shelf. Keep up the good work!

Matt Meiser
03-30-2008, 5:38 PM
Nice work--I think its great to see kids, especially girls who might be told its not a "girl hobby", interested in the hobby.

Bruce Pennell
03-30-2008, 6:13 PM
Great job Amanda, your a fine woodworker. Now is the time to tell dad to start your tool collection. I have a lot of fun woodworking with my 15 year old Granddaughter, hope you and dad keep having fun together. PS get mom involved and let her do the staining...HEHE!:rolleyes:

Dave MacArthur
03-30-2008, 8:07 PM
Nice job Amanda! I learned my woodworking from my Dad too, about the time I was your age--keep at it, you'll always be glad you did. Besides, if you start wanting woodworking tools for your presents, I'm pretty sure you'll get bigger and better ones than you ever expected! ;) Trust me, my wife ALMOST asked me for a table saw one time, and based on my suspicion alone I bought her a PM66!

J. Z. Guest
03-30-2008, 8:34 PM
Amanda: VERY nice. Does it make you want to build more projects? The finishing is tedious, most of us don't like it as much as the physical construction. However, if one does a good job with the construction, and cuts corners on the finish, the project comes out poorly. So although it is no fun, it still has to be taken seriously.

Joe: This is so great, that you've made a family thing out of woodworking, and also of Sawmill Creek.