PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624-44

Matt Hutchinson
03-30-2008, 9:29 AM
Sometime this summer I am going to invest in a new lathe. Right now I have a bowl/HF lathe that's awesome for those purposes, but is poor for spindle turning. So I am considering the NOVA 1624-44. I like it because of the motor, the swing, the possibility of indefinite length extensions, and the fit and finish. I don't plan on using it for big beefy work. That's reserved for the other lathe. Opinions and observations? Thanks.

Hutch

Ken Genovese
03-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Matt,
I have had this lathe for about a year now and am very impressed with it. It has met all my need to date. Changing speeds is a snap. I have a small shop and its footprint suits me well. I think you get a lot of lathe for the money.

Steve Kubien
03-30-2008, 1:38 PM
I agree with Ken 100%. I love mine

Steve

Matt Hutchinson
03-31-2008, 8:16 AM
I was also wondering about its cons. What are the 1624s weaknesses?

Hutch

Jerry Pittman
03-31-2008, 9:02 AM
Ken,
I have had my 1624-44 for almost a year and use it a lot. I haven't found any cons that make me regret the purchase. The belt change is like any other similar task; it just takes a little getting used to. I have turned up to a 14" bowl so far and never needed more power or a slower low speed. I originally thought I would need to buy the cast iron legs when Teknatool released them but haven't found a reason to yet.
Mine is still a 'made in New Zealand' unit so I can't speak for the Chinese-made units but the quality of mine is great.
HTH,
Jerry

David Wilhelm
03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Hutch,

You already have a big girl for bowls that can take care of heavy blanks that are out of balance? I kind of felt like Jerry that the legs would be a little on the light side. I liked the size options/price but the total weight sent me looking at the heavier jet. Had my eye on the 1642. What happens next was a huge one day sale, a coupon in the mail and another discount because it was a floor model and I end up with the 1442. I'd just make sure a couple hundred bucks later you won't be saying dang I could of had a V8.

Matt Hutchinson
03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I have a beautiful piece of old iron...10' long. I would only be using the NOVA for spindle work. That would be its dedicated function (along with sphere making). Hollow forms and bowls would be done on the other lathe.

I don't struggle that much with the NOVA's weight. If I get it I would built a massive stand, and load it with ballast. I did that on a real "piece-of-junk" lathe once (my first). It had a bed made of stamped sheet steel (Grizzly)!! But with the ballast it was fine. I figure that the NOVA is 100 times better, and it actually has a decent drive. If I didn't have my other lathe I wouldn't even consider the NOVA...not versatile enough.

Does this make the NOVA an OK purchase?? Thanks.

Hutch

Steve Kubien
03-31-2008, 1:23 PM
The only negative I can think of with my Nova is that the motor pulley had some slippage problems. Tightening down the set screw had no effect for a while until I used some blue (the reversible) Loctite. Since then, it hasn't moved even though I have a new replacement pulley sitting in my shop. So, the moral of this is align the pulleys correctly (pretty easy), tighten them down and keep checking them every week or so. If there is slippage, use the Loctite. I believe they have re-engineered this pulley and these issues are all but eliminated.

Only other thing I can think of is that it can be awkward to drop the tool handle really low for shear scraping on the outside of bowls because of the profile of the tool rest. I plan on replacing the rest with a Robust soon.

For what you are saying you will use it for...go for it, without reservation.

Steve Kubien
Ajax, Ontario

John Gornall
03-31-2008, 2:16 PM
What length spindles? The 1624 is only 24 center to center as delivered - one extension takes it to 44 and if you want to do 48 you'll need 2 extensions. I met a fellow that built a long bench for his lathe and just moves his single extension, not attached to the main bed, down the bench for whatever length he needs. Saw him turning 60 inches. Nova now has a hinged mount for the extension so you can swing it (and the tailstock) out of the way if you don't need it.

John Gornall
03-31-2008, 2:19 PM
Question for Steve above - what is the bore of your drive pulley. I was interested in adding a variable speed drive to my 1624 and found a 3 phase motor with control with a 5/8 shaft but the pulley on my lathe is 22mm. To use the drive I'll have to get a pulley with .625 bore or talk to a machinist.

Steve Kubien
03-31-2008, 4:12 PM
Sorry John. I have no idea. I'll try to remember to measure it next time I am in the shop but quite frankly, my memory is like a tea bag in the ocean...weak! Call Tim Geist at 304-295-8166. He is the N.A. service rep for Teknatool and he can tell you for sure.

Take care,
Steve

Mike Minto
03-31-2008, 8:18 PM
hey, all - I have had a 1624-44 about 5 months now, and enjoy it quite a bit. it's my first lathe, and while i hope to get one with an "automatic transmission" someday, for now, i find this one has great capacity, is powerful, and easy to use. the belt is a bit of a hassle to change speeds, but i'm not a production turner and find woodworking good for me in that it teaches patience, something i'm lacking. i do find the standard legs allow a little too much vibration, though, particularly on finishing cuts - maybe the cast iron option ones would help. i have a bowl on teknatool's user gallery site - check it out! talk to you all more soon, mike:D:cool:

Burt Alcantara
03-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Matt,
I purchased the 1624 in January 2007. Last month I added the 20" extension mainly so I can park the tailstock when hollowiing forms and boxes. I can also keep my articulated arm on the end so I don't mess up the settings. Additionally, I have a magnetic strip attached to the extension to keep my hollowing cutters, hex wrenches, dental tools and other junk on it.

I don't have a problem with the legs. If I get vibration I turn the speed down. Sure, a flick of the wrist to control speed would be nice-to-have but not necessary-to-have, especially at that price.

I find the banjo to be a little funky. The tool post adjustment is too close to the banjo adjustment and occasionally both adjustments get tangled up. Also, some adjustments on the tool post adjustment will rattle. The tool rest post is a bit short. When turning fat logs I sometimes run out of height. I'll probably be picking up a new tool post with a longer post.

I could never adjust to the lefty-tighty arrangement so I use Talon chucks and will probably get a Vicmarc for the shark jaws.

I don't see any need for me to upgrade the Nova in the near or very far future. It's a great piece of machinery and will give me, literally, a life time of pleasure.

Burt

GLENN THOMAS
04-01-2008, 9:57 AM
Matt,

I bought the 1624 last month when Woodcraft had a sale. So far it's everything I need and more. I really can't add any more to whats already been posted. If I were going to buy one and then add the extra acessories such as the bed extension and the cast iron legs I would give some serious thoughts to a Laguna 1847. Looks like it would be less than $100 difference between that and the Nova with all the acessories. For about the same price you would have an extra 2 inches swing, variable speed and 2hp, along with the longer bed. It looks like it is set up exactly the same was as the Jet ant Powermatic. I dont know anyone thats ever used one and I dont know much about there reputation but it might be worth looking into. I went to Laguna's web site not too long ago and filled out a request for a catalog and they sent me several DVD (which I havnt looked at yet) along with a stack of literature on all there tools.

GT

Matt Hutchinson
04-01-2008, 5:03 PM
Glenn, I just got done watching a bunch of promos at Laguna's site. I had seen the 1847 video before. It definitely appears like a nice lathe. It does seem to one-up the Jet model. I think people haven't bought it for two reasons. 1) No one knows anybody who has one, and there is no track record . 2) You can't buy it locally. This means you can't whisper in its ear and see if it loves you back. Er......I mean, you can't get a feel for it's quality.

Laguna is known for quality tools, and that is certainly in its favor. I think I may have to investigate further. Thanks. I had forgotten about this option.

Hutch

P.S. My biggest question is if an extension bed is available. This is of great importance to me. Though I may not need the length right away, I don't want my turning future to be set in stone right out of the gate.

Burt Alcantara
04-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Matt,
You can always add an extension of some sort. That shouldn't be show-stopper. I'd guess that if the Laguna finds this to be a viable product they will come out with accessories to capture more of your money.

While Laguna has a reputation, a lot of it has turned south over the past few years. Many reports of bad customer service and faulty product. Do a search over at the General Woodworking side to get a better idea of the companies health and attitude.

Gotta admit that 1847 looks like a great deal. Remember, shipping. May cost more then you think. If you're near a Woodcraft you'll just pay tax. You can bring it home yourself and set it up solo.

Burt

Paul Douglass
04-28-2008, 1:47 PM
Got a question about the Nova 1624. Does it have a hand wheel so you can easly turn your work piece manually to check it?

Marc Martindale
04-28-2008, 1:52 PM
Nova Handwheel is a $28 accessory

Paul Douglass
04-28-2008, 5:45 PM
Thank you , Marc. Got another question, I like to turn pen. It look like the tool rest banjo may be a little difficult to get in close to that small of an object. Has anyone turn pens an a 1624 and how was it? Might as well ask also what size tool rest post does this lathe have?

Thanks

Marc Martindale
04-28-2008, 6:12 PM
I had forgotten why I didn't turn pens on my Nova 1624, but you're right, the tool rest is 12" with a 1" post. I use my Jet Mini, which I think still has a tool rest too long at 6". I do have a smaller custom made tool rest for my Nova now, that I didn't have when I first tried pens.

Burt Alcantara
04-29-2008, 1:05 PM
I haven't turned a pen yet but I have turned some rather small things, some pen like. I never had a problem getting up close and personal.

Burt

Bernie Weishapl
04-29-2008, 1:12 PM
Paul I have the Nova DVR and it came with a 12" tool rest. I went to Woodcraft and bought a 4" and 6" tool rest. I bought 1" posts for each one as I don't like screwing and unscrewing to change the rest. These are the ones I got and they work just fine for getting in close. The one for turning boxes works great when getting inside with a scraper. You can get right up to the bottom and don't have the scraper hanging over the edge way out there.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20252

Gordon Seto
04-29-2008, 4:58 PM
I bought the 4" & 9" Robust Comfort rests from Bill Grumbine. They are by far the best tool rest. They have a hardened steel rod epoxied on top of the slant forward tool rest. The tool glides very smoothly. Allow room for me to hook my finger under for control. They also have tapered ends. They allow me get closer to inside of the bowl than the DVR tool rest and round bar. Considering the quality, I think they are very good value.

Before I got them, I use the Oneway tool rest, their design is very good. Except it is cast iron, the tool doesn't slide on it as smooth.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/34d9a17e.jpg

Skip Spaulding
04-29-2008, 9:03 PM
Love my 1624, have outboard setup and have turned 22" plus diam., just have the legs that came with it. Vibration is not a great problem. A little more h.p. on the motor would probably help with the McNaughton system but I take my time and it works. Pens and magic wands are fun, I have a couple of smaller rests but many times use the larger one with no problems. Will probably try a VFD when I find a real good price on motor (2hp) and control. Changing speeds is no problem but if I was turning for money and turning all day every day or even half a day every other the VFD would be on order! I have grandkids that play ball so an extention to turn bats will probably be next. I believe my 1624 was the 1st in the US, I received it the first or second week of Nov. 2006. I have had 1 pulley and 1 switch problem that were taken care of super fast. Sure is way ahead of the old used Craftsman twin tube I started with!

Gary Franks
04-30-2008, 8:51 PM
I have turned probably a hundred pens on my 1624, but I bought a 4" tool rest, the one that came with it did not allow me to get the rest close enough.

Paul Douglass
04-30-2008, 9:26 PM
Darn I wish I didn't find it so hard to spend money. I've put that lathe, plus a chuck and live center set up in my shopping cart three times now but haven't got further than finding out the shipping charge ($75 not bad) Craft Supplies wants $155. But with Woodcraft I have to pay sales tax at 8.3% which makes them higher total.....

Michael Lutz
04-30-2008, 9:42 PM
Paul,

Do you get charged sales tax? Woodcraft doesn't list WA as a state with which they collect sales tax. Are you shopping online?

Mike

Paul Douglass
05-01-2008, 8:40 PM
I'll check further but it is my understanding that if there is a store in your state they have to charge sales tax. There is one about 180 mi. from me.

Alan Trout
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Do you have any relatives or friends in Oregon. That might be the answer to your sales tax dilemma.

good Luck

Alan

Marc Martindale
05-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Maybe because they aren't comapny stores they can get around the sales tax. I don't get charged sales tax when I order from woodcraft online, but I do from other companies that have a store in my state. There are 3 Woodcrafts in WI.

disclaimer fro WI Dept. of Revenue - I pay the sales tax on my tax return each year.

Gordon Seto
05-01-2008, 11:40 PM
As I was explained. Technically Woodcraft dot com and the local Woodcraft are two different entities that happen to have similar name to start and are related.

The local WC stores are franchisee independently owned that also gets their supply from the WC corporation. The corporation doesn't directly operate in every State that has WC store.

Wayne Cannon
05-08-2008, 5:39 PM
Matt, the earlier versions of the Nova were extremely slow changing speeds -- enough to frustrate most guest woodturning instructors at the local Woodcraft. Hopefully, that has been fixed with the new model. Rate of speed changing is not generally a big deal, because you don't change speed that often; however, some operations, such a thread-chasing, require frequent speed changes over a wide range. Aside from speed changes, everyone was pretty happy with the Nova.