PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Attachent

Myron Benware
03-30-2008, 8:12 AM
Has anyone modified their rotary attachment to engrave pens. I am affraid to use it due to the small diameter of the pen blank just before the final turning. I like to inlay my pens and can't accurately rotate them by hand. I have an Epilog 35-W mini.
Thanks,
Myron Benware

Darren Null
03-30-2008, 1:48 PM
A couple of these may help- I made them to engrave whisky shot tumblers and to stop the head knocking against the ends of the rotary. A small hole in the centre to fit the ends of the pen into ought to work.

Myron Benware
03-30-2008, 6:08 PM
Thanks for the response. Could you be a little more detailed in your description? What are the large circular objects and do the smaller ones fit into the slots on them?
If so is it then placed on the existing rotary wheels and just rides there?
Thanks,
Myron

Pete Simmons
03-30-2008, 8:05 PM
Check out this thread - It shows a picture of a rotary tool with a special pen mandrel

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71091&highlight=rotary+tool&page=3

Darren Null
03-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Sorry- The 4 straight bits fit into the slots in the round bits: one round bit at each end. The idea is so that the devices act as spacers and your head doesn't hit the end of the rotary...a problem with mine- your mileage will vary. If you add a small hole to fit the end of the pen in in the centre of the round bit, it should work OK; but the design of your rotary may be different. On mine, I'd use 2 thingies and clamp the pen between them.

Jim Watkins
03-31-2008, 8:45 PM
Darren,
Do you have a photo of your design in use? I was looking at it and having a rough time envisioning how the shot glass could be engraved without the strait pieces getting in the way of the focus or the piece being engraved.

Darren Null
03-31-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't have a photo, I'm afraid.

They are spacers, basically. One goes each end of the shot glass (top 'n' bottom).

The design of my rotary is a rotating cone at the motor end, and a rotating disc at the bottom. The disc slides along a track to accomodate different height glasses (or whatever), and locks into place with a little lever. With shot glasses, of a smaller diameter than the cone or the disc at each end; the head smacks against one side or the other and shuts the machine down with an X-motor error. Hence the thingies- they give plenty of room for the head to move without hitting anything. Depending upon the design of your rotary device, they may work for you, or not.

Michael Doyle
04-04-2008, 8:23 AM
Myron, I leave the pen right on the mandrel when using the rotary tool.