PDA

View Full Version : My wife added lots of Mayo!

Troy Donson
03-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I saw an ad for WoodWorker's Source that they were having their yearly "everything in the store's on sale" and decided I needed some turning blanks.

The wife asked if she could go because she loves to look at the exotics. So off we went, braving the saturday morning traffic. We spotted the blanks we liked, paid for them and were about to leave when she looked around and asked if I was done.

"Yes, dear. Was there something I forgot?"

"Well didn't you want a mortise gauge?"

"You're right!! Thanks for reminding me." So back in we went and then...

"Does Jet make lathes? They are having a 10% off sale on Jet..."

At this point my hair stood on end.

So I non-chalantly wandered over to the display of midi lathes and saw that with 10% and the rebate the price was pretty good. After learning on my late father-in-law's 1952 Sears tube lathe, I was ready for something modern.

"That one looks puny. Don't they sell BIG LATHES here?"

My hair was still standing on end and now I was starting to sweat.

"Sir, my husband needs a BIG LATHE! What do you have?"

The sales clerk gleefully showed her the Powermatic and she said "too much money and I don't like the color, don't you have a Big White one?"

15 minutes later they were loading a Jet JWL1642EVS into the back of our 4Runner. Out the door with tax, less than $1400. Then there is the rebate for $100 on top of that!!

I have never doubted my love for this woman and this is just one of the reasons why.

Got it home and assembled it by myself. Did have to temporarily remove the GFCI socket in the garage as the Jet kept making it "pop". Dedicated circut going in tomorrow. But for now. WOW!! Not having my lathe clamped to a workmate and having more than 4 speeds sure does tickle my fancy!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Congrats Troy...on the lathe and more importantly the LOYL! They are both keepers!

Bill Bolen
03-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I sure hope MY WIFE reads this!!!...Congrats on both selections...Bill...

dennis kranz
03-30-2008, 1:56 AM
Very nice Troy. I'm thinking the 1.5 for myself in a few months, let us know how you like it.
Dennis

Alex Cam
03-30-2008, 8:00 AM
Turners have the nicest wives.

Skip Spaulding
03-30-2008, 8:21 AM
Great story, GREAT WIFE!! and real nice lathe!

Art Mulder
03-30-2008, 8:56 AM
non abysserator here... :rolleyes: I thought Oneway was Mayo!? :confused:

(Does that mean General is relish? :p)

Congrats on the score. 10% off is very good, and sounds like your wife is one of the best kinds.

Jim Becker
03-30-2008, 9:08 AM
OH, my....you're going to buying (or cooking) dinner for a long time now... LOL!

Congratulations on both the mayo-lite and the gal who made it happen!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2008, 9:53 AM
(Does that mean General is relish? :p)

Hoyt would say "Nah....just Green with envy".....:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2008, 9:55 AM
Troy - congrats on your new lathe! You are going to be amazed at much difference it will make in your turnings! Great tool! - Great Gloat! Have fun with it!

Scott Hubl
03-30-2008, 10:02 AM
CONGRATS Troy!

Give that wife lots 0' lovin.;)

Andy Hoyt
03-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Wahoo!

But get ready, Troy. She just played you. Big time.

Thomas Bennett
03-30-2008, 10:20 AM
You are one lucky , classy,guy. And where can I get a shirt like yours?

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Congrats on the new lathe and a wonderful LOYL Troy. Yep you got a keeper there. Over in lumber yard is a post on Awesome Wives.

Paul Douglass
03-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Aww heck, I'm sure my wife would do the same....(right):(

Congrats on both. I envy you on the lathe, maybe the wife too!

Troy Donson
03-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments - the wife is telling that when I go on to the woodshop in the sky, she will post here for a replacement! :D :D :D

All Kudos go to my Lovely Wife and her desire to be cooked for, cleaned up after, her car washed, waxed and polished, the house vacuumed, the dishes washed, the laundry... Oh wait she does not let me do laundry anymore!!! :D

I gotta tell you, after we got home and she made sure I did not hurt myself getting it out of the car and assembled, she said it was worth it to see me running around giggling. And the garage got cleaned up too!

As for the comments:

Yes, that is now my "Lucky going to the wood store shirt"

If the Oneway is called Mayo, I think I'll call the Jet...Vanilla Creme!! It is just soooooo sweet!!! Nothing against the Oneway, guys, I am just really happy with this one.

The variable speed starts at an indicated 50rpm in low range. It is so smooth campared to the Craftsman. Absolutely nothing against the tube lathe. I made the LOML some pretty stuff with the "tuber" and even did a couple of bowls for friends, some ceiling fan pulls, a bunch of laminated pencil holders, some candle holders... Quite alot, now that I think about it.

Will I miss it? Maybe a little, like I still miss my first car, but this is like getting a new Convertable Toyota Solara after tooling around in a '77 Ford Fiesta...

Now to order up new adapters for my Teknatool chucks...

Ben Gastfriend
03-30-2008, 3:10 PM
Hoyt would say "Nah....just Green with envy".....:rolleyes:

Oh, dear! Another comedian!

Congrats on the new lathe! Can't wait to see what comes of the mayo-lite machine!

Steve Campbell
03-30-2008, 6:25 PM
Great looking Jet there Troy. I'm sure you'll get years of turning out of it.
Now, I have to ask the real question we all want to know. Does she have any sisters at home like her?
Congratulations.

Steve

Bill Wyko
03-30-2008, 6:51 PM
WOW Congradulations Troy. It's been 10 years since the LOML did something like that. Make sure we get pics of your first piece.

Allen Neighbors
03-30-2008, 8:55 PM
Way to go Troy!! Mayo-lite/Vanilla Creme... What's the diff? They're both sweet!
I want to congratulate you on something else, now. Man, you have really got some good taste... in women!!!!!
Have fun, and be safe!!

Paul Gallian
03-30-2008, 11:37 PM
sounds like you had a very good DAY!

Have fun and don't forget to kiss your wife..

Rev. Paul

Don Orr
03-31-2008, 3:31 PM
That'll do nicely Troy. Make sure she gets the first thing off the new lathe.

Fred Krueger
03-31-2008, 4:37 PM
Look out, man. The bill is coming and it's going to be big! (But it's worth it.) Congrats.

Fred Conte
03-31-2008, 4:52 PM
Congrats on your new lathe and to the LOYL! Is it Christmas in March or is the LOYL Santa?:D

Troy Donson
03-31-2008, 4:55 PM
That'll do nicely Troy. Make sure she gets the first thing off the new lathe.

Not to worry, Don, she has a stack of blanks on the shelf above the new Jet with notes on each one descibing what they are to look like!!

Oh and she wants new shelves to put them on... :o

But little does she know, I will be giggling the whole time...

She is SOOOO worth it!!!:D:D:D

Troy

Hilel Salomon
03-31-2008, 5:02 PM
Hey Troy,

I knew you had an exceptional wife even before you got to the lathe part. The fact that she would go with you to the store and encourage you already places her in the upper pantheon of spouses. I don't envy anyone about anything, but I certainly came close to it in reading your post. Your good humor and appreciation already mark you both as exceptional. Lots of luck in everything else (you've already hit one jackpot).
Hilel.

steven carter
04-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Contrats, Troy, you are going to love it. I've had my 1642 for about 3 weeks now. Looking forward to some work being posted.

Joseph Peacock
04-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Cool!!!!! My dad used to have one of those, it was a good lathe.:D

Troy Donson
04-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Steven have you had any trouble finding spindle adapters?

I have a Nova G-3 and it tokk me 3 days of calling, searching and then finally getting a insert on it's way without being notified "it's on backorder"...:(

I am looking at getting a Titan before they run out of stock for my larger stuff, now that I found the inserts...

What are you using?

Troy

Daniel Heine
04-01-2008, 2:21 PM
Troy,

Would you like to trade wives for a little while? When I suggest the need for a new tools once in a while, My wife complains that I "should spend more time cleaning and tendiong to her, and stop wasting my time with that stupid wood". I make her beautiful pens, bowls, vahses, and I get a comment " what do you want a medal or a chest to put it on". She has many very good qualities, but she does not understand my passion for turning and carving. She comes from a family that has no hobbies of any kind. Her parents spend every spare minute in front of the TV set. My wifes hobby is watching the Big Brother house 24 hours a day on the internet. I keep telling her I can't help it. I have this urge to create something. Oh well, I know thers a nice American Beauty waiting for me in heaven!!

Dan Heine