PDA

View Full Version : I Guess I Just Don't Understand

Jim Koepke
03-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Just perusing the auction site that shall not be named and see a couple of Stanley planes a #5 & #6 that close in 16 hours and still with shipping have only hit $21, 1 bid at this time. Item # 290216930879

The #6 has a corrugated sole so I am not interested. It may also need a new blade.
The #5 has a replacement blade. There are already too many #5s in my shop to think about this one.

They both appear to be from the later SW era.

They are both in need of some rehab, but not that bad.

I guess my question is why some items on eBay get insane prices and some get mediocre to low prices? How is it items that are pretty much interchangeable can be so far apart in their ability to attract attention or bids?

Maybe if we new the secrets to this, we could all get top dollar and spend less.

I am happy when I am bidding on something that seems to be off of everyone else's radar. It is a little disheartening to be knocked out of my tree, thinking I am doing good with a last minute bid, only to have 5 or 6 higher bids come in during the last seconds.

Disclaimer: I do not know the person selling these planes, do not have any interest in them, nor do I intend to bid on this item.

jim

Clint Jones
03-29-2008, 11:49 PM
I dont know but I was tickled to death to pick up a 604 1/2C for $165 before Christmas. It was real nice nothing wrong with it. A few months later I saw a plane in similar shape sell for $270. I guess it has to do with what day and time and if snipers have put bids in. Also sometimes people get heated and start a bidding war.

James Mittlefehldt
03-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I agree that the prices seem weird at times, but if I had to guess I would say it is timing. I know for example that I can somtimes go for a few weeks and never go there, so maybe sometimes there just are not enough interested bidders around the place to make a difference.

I will occasionally put a watch on a given item just to see what it goes for, I recently missed out in a real nice Ohio Tool fillester, that ended up going for less than thirty dollars, including shipping. Sometimes though as you observed at the last five minutes a feeding frenzy happens and the items go crazy.

Timing is my answer to your question.

Mike Henderson
03-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Many items on eBay only get their bids in the last few seconds. Someone compared it to a live auction that has a hard stop. The first six+ days are the advertising and examination phase. The bidding phase comes in the last 20 minutes, and especially in the last 20 seconds.

While some people don't like bidders who snipe, it's essentially the same as a sealed bid process. The sniping bidders don't want to let others know what they're willing to pay. So, for those who don't want to snipe, they should put in their "best and final" bid and let it go.

It'll be interesting to see where that auction closes.

Mike

Ethan Sincox
03-30-2008, 12:33 AM
You're absolutely right, Mike. That's always been my e-bay policy. If I'm somewhat interested in something, I'll put in one and only one bid on it, at the highest price I'm willing to pay.

The only problem with that is those bidders who come in and bid it up one or two dollars at a time 10 or 12 times. Irritating.

If I'm really interested in it, I'll wait until the last few seconds and throw in my highest bid. It's still only going to be one bid and only the highest amount I'd pay for it, but it gives that other guy (who bids 10 or 12 times) no time to go in and bump it up.

If I don't get it, then I'm never bummed by it; obviously someone else wanted it more than me.

Alex Yeilding
03-30-2008, 12:47 AM
I guess my question is why some items on eBay get insane prices and some get mediocre to low prices? How is it items that are pretty much interchangeable can be so far apart in their ability to attract attention or bids?

Gee, I thought the answer to this was obvious: the former are items that I might be interested in bidding on, while the later are items I am selling or have available to sell. :rolleyes:

Randal Stevenson
03-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Quite a while ago, I read an article on some sniping software that could run on all computers. (the particular article was use in my os)
That was the first it dawned on me to not just put in my high bid and walk away. I do know and see people getting crazy into bidding wars (recently a slightly older model of a new pc, for $8 less the the brand new one with warranty). Now because I work odd hours, I can and do sometimes look up what I am watching, in the hope that it ends either late at night, or after most of you have gone to work (no Ebay in the workplace). Because of that, I don't need sniping software. If I used it, I am afraid I might go broke (I have bid on multiples of the same type of item, knowing from watching the range they close at). I also noticed some of the stuff I have bid on, goes for less during certain times of the year.
I try not to bid too early in it, as if I bid in the first couple of days, then you get those who HAVE to have it and get caught up in the bidding.

But I also don't have a SWMBO. So I don't have the twice max bid thing. That is where you can bid X, because of your fun money/stash, and then if it goes over that (location forbid), then you have to get approval to bid out of your "her" allowance fund, where she knows your after a new tool.

I just hope that someday if I decide to sell something on Ebay, I can get the type of bidder, who buys some of the HF stuff I have seen there, going for higher then retail. I will never understand people NOT doing their research.

Mike Henderson
03-30-2008, 12:54 AM
The only problem with that is those bidders who come in and bid it up one or two dollars at a time 10 or 12 times. Irritating.
I think that's why people snipe. They don't like someone else "feeling out" their max bid. And often those people go till they see your max bid, even though they haven't overbid you.

Example: You do a max bid $24.54 and the minimum increment is $1. They bid $20 and your bid is increased to $21. Then they bid $22 and your bid is increased to $23. They then bid $24 and your bid will be $24.54 (your max bid), which is less than the minimum increment of $1 so they know they've pushed you to your max bid. Finally, they may leave their bid at $24 knowing they forced you to pay the max.

I'd rather come in at the last minute where they don't have time to probe my bid.

Mike

Alex Yeilding
03-30-2008, 1:10 AM
Example: You do a max bid $24.54 and the minimum increment is $1. They bid $20 and your bid is increased to $21. Then they bid $22 and your bid is increased to $23. They then bid $24 and your bid will be $24.54 (your max bid), which is less than the minimum increment of $1
Interesting. I always assumed that the minimum increment would have to be met, even for an automatic bid.

I learn something new every day. Now, what is it they say about assuming...? :rolleyes:

Johnny Kleso
03-30-2008, 2:47 AM
I look almost every day and I have no explaination as how or why, at one time I thought certian times of the year where better but it depends on the tool..

For high $$ items there is always buyers year long.. For user tools I think Fall till Spring gets the best prices and late Summer is the lowest..

Seems that prices are rising as more people start to use eBay and the supply of people selling grandads tools on the net get smaller..

I only won one gloat, a Mint 12" Brass Bound Disston Level for $19 5-6 years ago...
Still looking for a suprise win since then, for something that nice...

Dave Cav
03-30-2008, 2:53 AM
I know what you mean. I was watching two nice 1/4" Stanley socket chisels. Both closed about the same time. One had several bids, one had none. I put in a maximum bid of $15 for the one which had no bids, and got it a couple of hours later for a little less than that. Someone else tried to come in a the last few seconds and snipe me, but he didn't bid high enough.

Joe Chritz
03-30-2008, 6:08 AM
It is strange sometimes.

I have been bidding on a stanley #80 for a while and none were under the price I wanted to pay.

Assuming the seller gets me a shipping total I just got two planes and a #80 for around $30. Less then I would have paid for a decent #80.

Sometimes it pays to be patient.

Joe

Mike Cutler
03-30-2008, 7:35 AM
Jim

All I can say is that if you want those two planes you should have a window open, with your highest bid, cocked, locked, and ready to submit about 15 seconds before that auction closes.
Those two planes won't sell for $9.00 + shipping. Those appear to be nice planes, in good shape.

Yes I know it's sniping, but it's the way the game is played.
You have my word that I won't be bidding against you.

dan grant
03-30-2008, 10:18 AM
there was a 605 1/2 bedrock went for 70$ yesterday but how many planes does a guy need,

Johnny Kleso
03-30-2008, 1:39 PM
I seen two 605 1/2s yesterday, one was a super rust bucket that I would not consider bidding for any price..

Grant Vanbokklen
03-30-2008, 1:50 PM
This whole plane craze is frustrating. Because is is obvious that most buyers are buying just to have a large "collection" and are probably not going to use them as should be.

I've been looking at completed items and looking at the buyers history and what they are buying. So many are just buying like crazy. This to me is buying just to be buying and not using.

Very frustrating for someone that would like to get a set of good planes so that I can learn to use them

Grant Vanbokklen
03-30-2008, 2:11 PM
Jim, I'm just curious. Do you have any planes of this style/size already? Would either of these plane duplicate what you've already got?

Mike Henderson
03-30-2008, 2:17 PM
This whole plane craze is frustrating. Because is is obvious that most buyers are buying just to have a large "collection" and are probably not going to use them as should be.

I've been looking at completed items and looking at the buyers history and what they are buying. So many are just buying like crazy. This to me is buying just to be buying and not using.

Very frustrating for someone that would like to get a set of good planes so that I can learn to use them
Hello, neighbor. What planes are you looking for? If you're not looking for a specific plane, like a #6, type 11, corrugated, in perfect condition, you should be able to find something you can use. Many people - myself included - try to buy specific planes, even as users (though they probably don't work any better than others).

Where are you located in OC?

Mike

Jim Koepke
03-30-2008, 2:52 PM
At all the replies.
Lots of food for thought.

I will occasionally put a watch on a given item just to see what it goes for, I recently missed out in a real nice Ohio Tool fillester, that ended up going for less than thirty dollars, including shipping.

I often set the alarm on my cellphone to give me a heads up when something I want to bid on is going to close. If a maximum bid has already been entered, then it isn't set. Rather find out without the elevated pulse.

My brother was telling me about how many auctions he lost to one of these bidders. He bought some software to do auto bids when he is not home and has been winning more at better prices.
I think some sellers have been caught having friends doing this as a kind of "shill" bidding.

My way of "psyching out" these guys is to enter one bid, then a little later entering a second, slightly higher bid. I am not sure if this works, but I have noticed sometimes there seems to be less activity on items when this is done.

If I'm really interested in it, I'll wait until the last few seconds and throw in my highest bid. It's still only going to be one bid and only the highest amount I'd pay for it, but it gives that other guy (who bids 10 or 12 times) no time to go in and bump it up.

Someone at work told me her strategy is to have a lot of windows open with different bids ready to confirm and then just go down the line. She has a faster connection than I do. This can lead to paying too much imo.

I don't need sniping software. If I used it, I am afraid I might go broke (I have bid on multiples of the same type of item, knowing from watching the range they close at).

I quit doing this when I ended up with multiples of items I didn't really need or want. Heck, I have to stop myself on many things because they look like such a good deal. If they are just going to sit around doing nothing, it is either a waste of money or I have to start being a collector. Some of those old planes look nice, but there just isn't enough room around here for a whole lot more No.4 Stanleys.

Assuming the seller gets me a shipping total I just got two planes and a #80 for around $30. Less then I would have paid for a decent #80.

I think I saw the ones you are talking about and that seemed like a decent deal. Hope it is all good for you.

Sometimes it pays to be patient.

Amen, it is one of the secrets to winning, that and perseverance. Keep trying and eventually everyone else will be away when that treasure comes along.

All I can say is that if you want those two planes you should have a window open, with your highest bid, cocked, locked, and ready to submit about 15 seconds before that auction closes.

Tempting, but they are not the ones I want. There are already a couple of nice No.5s in my shop and a 5-1/2 on the way. Not sure there is room for another like a No.6 or No.8.
Now if I get my dream shop then maybe a few more big planes will be "needed".

Looking into the history of sellers and bidders can reveal a lot. You can find not only what they have been buying, but their bid patterns can let you know if they snipe or just bid high. Useful information.

Jim, I'm just curious. Do you have any planes of this style/size already? Would either of these plane duplicate what you've already got?

Yes, the No.5 would be a duplicate and I like the smooth sole plane over the corrugated sole of the No.6. I have no intention to bid on these planes and besides thinking it strange that two nice looking planes seem to be going unnoticed. Sure, they do have problems, but someone here might be interested, so that was another reason for starting the thread.

Besides, I am not sure if I will ever want or need a No.6 or a No.8 but for the fun of fettling.

I did not expect to see a lot of others having similar experience on this. But then, I am sure we all go through the same things when dealing with trying to find another acquisition for our common hobby.

jim

Billy Chambless
03-30-2008, 4:14 PM

Grant, have you checked out the dealers mentioned in various threads? They often beat average ebay prices.

Grant Vanbokklen
03-30-2008, 5:50 PM
I've been looking to get some planes for at least 4 months now. I've bid quite a few times only to get outbid at the last moment. I don't have the time really to hang out watching the final curtain call. Regretfully I don't have time to go to flea markets, probably could score a few. I hardly have the time to do the woodworking projects I am trying to put together. Woodworking is something that I want to do after work and raising my kids (single father).

What frustrates me at ebay are the numerous buyers that have bought over 25-75+ planes as far as the ebay personal bidding history goes back before it won't show anymore. How would one even have time for that unless they are retired and have a ton of free time. It takes time to track auctions and then set your clock to be there for the final call. Heck I'm hardly home :eek: That kind of buying makes it hard for someone like me.

But also I'm learning, that is for sure. I did look at a few dealers that I've seen in posts and was told about but those prices are too high for me right now or I did not feel what they had was what I wanted. I don't make a bad living but my budget is stretched to the max. I want to buy some wood too!

I also wanted to say as far as I'm still learning I need to realize that when I do get some planes that I'll probaby be better off than just buying a few without having some understanding that I've learned over the past four months of looking and reading posts and links provided in the posts.

Billy Chambless
03-30-2008, 6:11 PM
But also I'm learning, that is for sure. I did look at a few dealers that I've seen in posts and was told about but those prices are too high for me right now or I did not feel what they had was what I wanted. I don't make a bad living but my budget is stretched to the max. I want to buy some wood too!

At the risk of repeating myself: Ebay is a big PITA when you're looking for an immediate need. Believe me, I know all about having to stay within a budget.

What, exactly, are you looking for? Maybe we can help you find it at a reasonable price.

Jim Koepke
03-30-2008, 9:18 PM
It looks like the winning bid came in at 4 seconds before the close.
The total price with shipping for the 2 planes came in at about $50.
Maybe if the winner is a member here they could post their gloat.

jim