PDA

View Full Version : DC completed & Semi Shop Tour.

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2004, 4:21 PM
Hello Everybody,

The dust collection system is now complete. All of the Blast Gates have been installed. The pics that are included are pretty much self-explanatory and at the same time you’ll get a brief glimpse of part of the shop, which I plan to detail in the coming months. My hope is that the pics along with Terry’s, Fred’s and others are inspiring and if there are any questions and / or constructive criticism I would be most interested.
Dennis you are right, I have noticed a dramatic increase in airflow for the 6” piping already.
Thanks in advance for taking the tour.

Boyd ;)

P.S. I would also like to thank Bill Pentz for his work and website, I have taken my Dust Collection and Particulate count most seriously as a woodworker and have strived to make my system as practical and safe, health wise, as possible. http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneReviews.cfm (http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneReviews.cfm)

Con't. 1 of 3 :)

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2004, 4:26 PM
Con't. 2 of 3

Hello Everybody,

The dust collection system is now complete. All of the Blast Gates have been installed. The pics that are included are pretty much self-explanatory and at the same time you’ll get a brief glimpse of part of the shop, which I plan to detail in the coming months. My hope is that the pics along with Terry’s, Fred’s and others are inspiring and if there are any questions and / or constructive criticism I would be most interested.
Dennis you are right, I have noticed a dramatic increase in airflow for the 6” piping already.

Boyd ;)

P.S. I would also like to thank Bill Pentz for his work and website, I have taken my Dust Collection and Particulate count most seriously as a woodworker and have strived to make my system as practical and safe, health wise, as possible. http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneReviews.cfm (http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/CycloneReviews.cfm)

Con't. 2 of 3 :)

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2004, 4:34 PM
Con't. 3 of 3

Con't. 2 of 3Con't. 2 of 3
Quote: Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright

Hello Everybody,

Boyd ;)

Con't. 2 of 3 :)

Chris Padilla
03-24-2004, 4:52 PM
What's the size of your shop, Boyd? Nice layout, very clean...you related to Hatfield at all?? Where's your magical place for dust? It ain't all in the DC!! :)

Jim Becker
03-24-2004, 5:38 PM
That's a really nice, clean installation, Boyd! Thanks for sharing it and your shop pics, too.

Those colorful gates are also very eye catching! No problem finding them, no matter how much dust you have breathed in. Oh. That's the idea...no dust! :D

Bill Patterson
03-24-2004, 6:08 PM
I am 90% done as well. I hope to get everything fired up this weekend. I second Bill Pentz as a great source of information. Bill was invaluable as a resource in building my cyclone, desinging my ductwork. etc.

Thanks, Bill

Tyler Howell
03-24-2004, 6:49 PM
Wow a two air cleaner shop. Looking good Boyd. Great place to play.

Tony Sade
03-24-2004, 6:55 PM
Nice setup, and great timing for me, Boyd. I just ordered the Jet 1200CK today (decided I needed a better DC setup more than I needed an edge sander) and plan to get around to a permanent installation as soon as I can.

Do you find that you get enough suction with the Jet?. I can't afford or fit a cyclone in my small garage shop and the Jet seemed like the next best thing.

Mind if I pick your brain some when I get ready to install my ductwork? I know about Bill Pentz' site, but I tend to get information overload very easily and I find his site a bit overwhelming at times.

Couple of questions come to mind right off the bat. What did you use to fasten your pipe together? Are those machine screws or rivets or something else? Did you buy your pipe locally? (Not that I'm gonna drive Martinsburg or Shepardstown from Charleston to get pipe, but if you bought it at a big box store that would be useful information for when I start looking.

Cheers, fellow Mountaineer!

Steve King
03-24-2004, 9:56 PM
Boyd,
If that's your garage; I can’t wait to see the house :D

That is a great setup and BIG. Like Chris said; Are you sure your not related the the Hatfield's :D

Steve

Terry Hatfield
03-25-2004, 12:26 AM
Boyd,

Fantastic job!!!! The DC system looks great as does the entire shop. Was it all worth it in the end???

BTW...nice job on the pics too!!!

Terry

Boyd Gathwright
03-25-2004, 3:43 PM
Hi Chris,

You, being the very first to comment on my latest postings, my wife and I had a very pleasant little chuckle over your comments. Yes, my shop is on the large side - 40 x 60 x 12 feet. Since it is the maintenance shop as well as the wood working shop, I have tried to arrange it so the layout is optimal for all of my endeavors that take place there. I try hard to keep things as neat and clean as I possibly can, though it’s a struggle at times. Am not genetically connected to Terry Hatfield but, like Terry I too have noticed lately that I do pay a little more than most people for DW and the price seems to have taken a big jump here in the past couple of years.

Thanks for the chuckles

Boyd :)
What's the size of your shop, Boyd? Nice layout, very clean...you related to Hatfield at all?? Where's your magical place for dust? It ain't all in the DC!! :)

Boyd Gathwright
03-25-2004, 5:03 PM
Hello Steve,

Always enjoy meeting SMC’s for the first time. No, that is not the garage it’s my shop. The garage is an oversized two-car garage, which is part of our house that we live in. I have no plans to view the house at present but it is to be considered down the road after I consult with the Head Master. See, I am in charge of the slave quarters and I take care of the SMALL things, and she will have to make that decision, ha. So, if you call the house and a voice says: Hello, Slave Quarters, you know she was too busy to pick up and the line was switched over to me to take care of the small things.
At this point, Terry is probably hoping that nobody remembers his name much less me being related to him, which I am not.

Have Fun and enjoy

Boyd :D

Boyd,
If that's your garage; I can’t wait to see the house :D

That is a great setup and BIG. Like Chris said; Are you sure your not related the the Hatfield's :D

Steve

Boyd Gathwright
03-25-2004, 5:29 PM
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the compliments and yes I do feel that it was worth the effort. Of course, time and filtration is the BIG unknown here from a point of health. I owe it to myself, and others, to take the necessary safety precautions. The old adage an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and these days with the medical cost being as expensive as they are it’s not worth cutting such an inexpensive corner.

Thanks for all the considerations and help

Boyd :)

Boyd,

Fantastic job!!!! The DC system looks great as does the entire shop. Was it all worth it in the end???

BTW...nice job on the pics too!!!

Terry

Steve Clardy
03-25-2004, 6:04 PM
Looking great Boyd. Looks like another "Surgery Room" !!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Steve

Boyd Gathwright
03-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks Steve, I try to keep um neat and clean.

Boyd

Looking great Boyd. Looks like another "Surgery Room" !!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Steve