PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever turned Sassafrass

Frank Bivins
03-29-2008, 10:06 PM
I got a large amount of Sassafrass that ranges from 3 inches to 18 inches in diameter. Smells good cut but I was wondering how it turns. Since it was free should be good for practice at least

Raymond Overman
03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
It turns just fine and makes your shop smell great!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2008, 11:00 PM
I wished we could get sassafras out here. One of my favorite teas come from those roots.

Matt Hutchinson
03-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I have a few sassafrass logs in my drive right now. I love the stuff. It's easy to turn, and easy to sand. It's almost like you don't have to use any effort to whip off nice finished pieces. I love it. Only downside it that it's hard to find it with interesting grain patterns. Good luck!

Hutch

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Hutch is right. I love turning it but sometimes the grain is well yuk but boy does it make the shop smell good.

Chuck Jones
03-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Frank, I've come to believe almost any wood is worthwhile for turning. I'd sure give it try.

I sawed a sassafras log a couple years ago. I still have the boards stacked around here somewhere. I have not done anything with it. It's quite nice lumber; looks a lot like oak as I recall. I sawed that log before I started turning so I don't have any thick pieces.

Ken, I have fond recollections of making sassafras tea when I was I kid. If my memory is correct the tea is only made from the roots of red sassafras. I just did a Google search on it to make sure and was overwhelmed by all the warnings about how dangerous it is. I did not know it was declared carcinogenic in 1960. Somebody's always ready to mess up a good thing by telling us it's bad for us.

Paul Gallian
03-29-2008, 11:47 PM
For those that drink Sassafras tea: (I am one of them-- love it)
:mad::(:confused::confused::confused:

http://www.vitacost.com/Healthnotes/Herb/Sassafras.aspx

Bill Bolen
03-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Love to turn it when I get lucky and find some green stuff. Shop smells like rootbeer for days...Bill...

Nancy Laird
03-30-2008, 1:33 AM
...sassafras...quite nice lumber; looks a lot like oak...

Ken, I have fond recollections of making sassafras tea when I was I kid. If my memory is correct the tea is only made from the roots of red sassafras. I just did a Google search on it to make sure and was overwhelmed by all the warnings about how dangerous it is. I did not know it was declared carcinogenic in 1960. Somebody's always ready to mess up a good thing by telling us it's bad for us.

Yes, Chuck, Sassafras looks a lot like oak. I have a chair made by my great-grandfather in about 1914 (part of a set of four he made for my grandparents as a wedding gift), that is made of sassafras. We thought it was oak, until one of the back legs broke, in about 1984/5. 70 years later, the smell of sassafras was still faint in the broken piece. LOML repaired it with oak, and we can't really tell which leg was broken.

My dad also made sassafras tea when I was small. I didn't care for the smell of the tea--just something about that smell--and I think that's why I don't like root beer to this day! He bought the sassafras roots at the grocery in my little home town.

Judy Kingery
03-30-2008, 2:34 AM
Frank, the piece I had turned very nicely. I didn't know what it was until friend Marvin identified it. Sure does smell good, but sure, it turned very well. Wish you the best with it! Jude

Ben Gastfriend
03-30-2008, 3:06 PM
You'll love it- the smell, the tea, and the beautiful colour and grain patterns. See if you can get a crotch piece. They look pretty darn good! Can't wait to see a picture.

Matt Hutchinson
03-30-2008, 5:25 PM
Even though I haven't turned a whole lot of sassafrass, I have found the same thing to be true. In even the smallest crotch there has been a lot of intense figuring. I hope the same holds true with your logs, Frank!

Hutch

Frank Bivins
03-31-2008, 9:22 AM
I appreciate the information. Being a newby I left some crotch to be burned as my truck was full. Will try to go back and get the rest. Thank you again for the help