PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 2000 table flatness question

Jack Gingerich
03-29-2008, 9:34 PM
What should be an acceptable tolerance for table flatness on a $2000+ cabinet saw? My PM2000 has about a .015" valley(mesuring front to back) in the center on either side of the blade opening. I would think .005 is the standard. Jack

Tom Henderson2
03-30-2008, 1:35 AM
Hello Jack-

I would have thought that 0.015 is a bit excessive for a new PM2000. I would give them a call.

I think, though, that side-to-side flatness is probably more important than front-to-back flatness. So if the top is fairly flat in the side-to-side direction you are probably good to go.

But if I paid that much money for a premier product, I'd expect more than "good enough."

-Tom H.

Jack Gingerich
03-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi Tom,

Actually I've had the saw for a little over a year. I never really noticed this or checked until I started making several zero clearance inserts and wondered why I couldn't get them perfectly flush with top all the way around. I'll give them a call and see what they say. I just wanted some input from others to see if I am being picky.

Jack

Matt Ocel
03-30-2008, 3:03 PM
Jack - I read your thread and ran out to the shop to check mine. I could not see light under the straight edge f to b or s to s. I'm with Tom, I would contact PM.
Man! Don't they sound good when you fire em up!
Ain't nothin like a PM 2000.

Edward P. Surowiec
03-30-2008, 3:45 PM
Jack I found that on my PM 2000 the insert plate had a belly in it. The table was within .001 over a 24" span, as measured with a Lee Valley machined straight edge. So far the insert sag has not had an impact on my work.
Ed

Jack Gingerich
03-30-2008, 5:50 PM
Thanks Tom, Matt & Edward,

I measured mine on either side of the blade opening and got the result I posted earlier. I could sure with the .001 that Edward has. Other than the quality should be much better for the price, the operations it seems to affect are dados and M&Ts or ripping smaller stock. Will give them a call.......Jack

Lewis Cobb
04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks Tom, Matt & Edward,

I measured mine on either side of the blade opening and got the result I posted earlier. I could sure with the .001 that Edward has. Other than the quality should be much better for the price, the operations it seems to affect are dados and M&Ts or ripping smaller stock. Will give them a call.......Jack

Just noticed this thread and wondering if you resolved your issue or not with Powermatic?

Will Blick
04-21-2008, 2:18 PM
Yeah, my 2000 is barely .001" anywhere.... Kudos to Powermatic, I think yours slipped through the cracks...

Greg Karol
04-22-2008, 8:30 AM
Besides Edward, how are the rest of you measuring table flatness? using feeler gauges with a calibrated strait edge? I find it hard to believe that the table flatness is .001" over 24" Even with a spiral or radial grind I would expect .003" at best. I am just trying to figure out how much of this .001-.015 is really measurement error.

Jack Gingerich
04-23-2008, 2:58 PM
This should answer both Lewis and Greg's questions. I'm using a 36" steel Lee Valley machined straight edge and feeler gauges. Powermatic agreed I had a problem and sent me a replacement top, but it had a .020" valley between miter slots when measuring side to side (front to back was spot on). I just received a second replacement top, and it is no better than the first they sent. I have not called them on the second one yet, but am getting quite tired of lugging these 80 pound tops around.

I'll keep you posted............Jack

glenn bradley
04-23-2008, 3:26 PM
Besides Edward, how are the rest of you measuring table flatness? using feeler gauges with a calibrated strait edge? I find it hard to believe that the table flatness is .001" over 24" Even with a spiral or radial grind I would expect .003" at best. I am just trying to figure out how much of this .001-.015 is really measurement error.

There may be a decimal point position problem somewhere. No greater than .01" between any two points is a pretty standard "dead flat" tolerance for the larger tool makers.

I found this when I had .004" and .007" valleys on a new saw. The Steel City folks state .01" as their tolerance. I thought this was out of line so I contacted a few others.

As I became a little more educated (instead of assuming that what I felt should be right, was right) I discovered that .01" was pretty standard although most shoot for much better. The .01" is the no-go mark for most that I spoke with and they start getting unhappy around .006" - .007" but, it is still within tolerances.

Lewis Cobb
04-23-2008, 6:39 PM
This should answer both Lewis and Greg's questions. I'm using a 36" steel Lee Valley machined straight edge and feeler gauges. Powermatic agreed I had a problem and sent me a replacement top, but it had a .020" valley between miter slots when measuring side to side (front to back was spot on). I just received a second replacement top, and it is no better than the first they sent. I have not called them on the second one yet, but am getting quite tired of lugging these 80 pound tops around.

I'll keep you posted............Jack

Well I'm watching real close now cause I just ordered a PM2000 ....
If I have this sort of a problem, once I end up with more than one top in my possession, I'll fire one out for precision grinding and call it done. That will eat up some of the discount I got on the saw but so be it :)

Anyone know any good grinding places that would be able to entertain such a task?