PDA

View Full Version : ? on Price of Powermatic 3520b

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-29-2008, 9:15 PM
I have a local dealer who will sell me a New Powermatic 3520B for $2696. thats with tax & delivery.
He didn't say anything about a rebate but I think there's still a $100. rebate on it isn't there?
If so that would be $2596 total delivered to my shop. So what do you guys think?? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me for a local company. However I must order by Monday 3/31/08. He said it's going up at least $300 April 1st.
So Should I do It????

Paul Douglass
03-29-2008, 9:23 PM
yep! Based on I absolutely know nothing, but is I could afford it I would!

Kurt Bird
03-30-2008, 7:28 AM
Joe,
Check out Scott Hubl's thread on this website about his search for prices, and how he ended up buying from Tool Nut. Joe Osolnik of Osolnik Machinery is another. The best price I have seen posted on the internet is $2599, and that's from an unknown. It sounds like you should jump on that price, because it is within $100 of some others, and it is local. :D
Kurt

Hilel Salomon
03-30-2008, 9:05 AM
Yup, Yup, Yup,

One: you would be supporting a local dealer;
Two: You can then get repairs or adjustments locally;
Three: The thing weighs a ton and delivery would be nice;
Four: A bird in the hand etc. etc.
Five: You just might get the dealer to throw in some small extras.
Whatever you do... Good Luck,
Hilel.

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Joe I would jump on it. Buying locally is a good thing as you don't have the hassle of trying to e-mail, call, etc. He is right there. I agree with what Hilel said. Yea you might save a buck or two from somewhere else but is it worth the hassle.

Scott Hubl
03-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Yes, read my posts about my recent 3520B purchase.:D

Local is fine, BUT MOST are gonna send you off to the factory service center in your area IF there is ever a problem.
( My local Woodcraft was $400.00 higher for the exact same order I placed.)

Most likely a local vendor will have you contact WMH yourself for warranty work or service.

Woodcraft, Rockler, places like that do not have service facilities in house.

I recieved Free delivery, Free Residential Service, Free Liftgate, driver put it right were I wanted it.

The Online vendors are buying Directly from WMH Tool Group, so your new lathe is shipped directly from the company, to a local trucking terminal and a smaller residential truck delivers it all within a week of your order.

For $2,999.97, ( NOT counting the $100.00 rebate yet.) Besides the basic lathe , I also recieved the Remote Switch(LOVE HAVING IT!), the 18"bed with the toolrest extension. the curved RH bowl toolrest, the Dust Port Assembly (attaches to your "banjo"), the 2" Spindle Extension, and the JET shop class series with Nick Cook called "Lathe" DVD.

Plus a very smooth and pleasent buying experience from ToolNut. I had it ALL within 6 days of my order. Delivered 100% FREE.

With the $100.00 Rebate my cost for the lathe and Several accessories was $2,899.97 ( add those accessories later and you'll pay full price for them Plus more shipping charges.)

The Remote Switch is SWEET to have!

The 18" bed extension will allow you a 38" swing.:eek:
Even if you don't need it now, its alot cheaper getting it With your lathe purchase now.

The Dust Port is Great for spindle work and works good for bowl sanding operations.(it is designed more for spindle work I admit.)
But I am already adapting another dust hood for bowl work to the bracket and post that attaches to the banjo to have the best of both.:D

The 2" spindle extension gives you that much more room getting in at certain cuts and adds depth when reversing NE bowls and other turnings.

For the extra 300.00 you'll be getting ALOT of added value.

Check the prices of the accessories and you'll see I recieved a very good Price.
On my Reciept the lathe is listed at $2,492.00

Anyway you buy it you'll Love the 3520B.

Order it Before that $300.00 Increase! (To save $600.00 if you get the lathe and accessories I got.);)

Best thing I can tell you is get your BEST price(local or online) THEN "Call" ToolNut and they WILL beat it.

ToolNut does have a Brick and Mortor store in NY.

Good Luck, and ENJOY the ~GOLD~

Doug Jones from Oregon
03-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Scott...I'm curious....did you go to your local store and do the touchy feely thing on your new lathe, or did you plunk down nearly 3 grand based soley on reports and reviews you have seen on the net?

The reason I ask is the very real concern I have for the trend to use the brick and mortor stores for just that purpose and then the actual purchase going to the net to save a few bucks.

In my area, we have two tool shops that have either closed down or are in the process of it....I wonder where I'll be able to go to get that hammer or wrench next time I need one quicker that 2-6 days?

Our local businesses invest a great deal of time and money in bringing products to our corner of the country and deserve to be more than just a showroom for the internet.

$100-$200 price difference on a $3000. purchase, dang right I'll buy local!

Doug

John Sheets
03-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree with Doug. Especially if I had seen and examined the lathe at a local retailer, I could not in good conscience turn around and order the thing online _unless_ the local guy was trying to rip me on the price. But for a hundred or two difference, I'd get it locally. Might even get him to include a remote switch or some other accessory at a reduced cost.

Scott Hubl
03-30-2008, 1:02 PM
Doug,
I spent about 6 months doing the "touchy feely thing" at my local Woodcraft. (Rockler never had one in stock, smaller store with no classes.) I am a member of "The Windy City Woodturners" And members have the 3520B
I took a bowl turning class at Woodcraft too.($200.00)

I have spent ALOT of money at my local Woodcraft, I have also spent ALOT of money at my local Rockler as well, I have a fully machined Flat lay woodshop too.

Woodcraft and Rockler has seen my cash for 6 chucks,(I have 9 some came with used lathes I have, I have 6 lathes, was 7 but I just sold one.)Oneways and Nova's, various inserts, jaws, 40 or so Robert Sorby turning tools,(I have over 60) Slow speed grinder, wolverine grinding jig with all accessories for it, Grinder stand too, Oneway bowl steady, McNaughton Centre Saver, HoldFast Vacuum system, Turning Blanks, Pen kits, Bottle Stopper Kits, Pen Vice, Pen Press, Mandrels, Bushings, Sandpapers, Finishing Products, Trend Air Shield, Live Centers, Sorby Stub Centers(several sizes and types.), Bionic Face Shield, That is just a Partial list of turning related stuff I have bought from my local Rockler and or Woodcraft.
Keep in mind that does not even touch the tools and accessories I bought for my flat lay hobby.

Did I once ask for a "deal" on any of those items?

NO.

I knew I could get most someplace else for less, but chose to support locally.

It was over a $400.00 Difference in price.

For that $400.00 difference I can buy alot of other tools or materials locally.

Woodcraft was given the opportunity to compete for my business on this purchase. They could NOT get close enough for me to justify spending more than $400.00 just to purchase locally.
I spend ALOT of my Tool cash (yes Cash) at my local Woodcraft, it's NOT like I only went in to buy this one tool and they could not compete, I am a regular customer that everyone who works there including the Owner knows me by name.

Sure IF there was a problem "out of the box" they'd help fix it but after initial purchase its the same as anyplace else, heres the company info call for warranty service.

Do you really believe if a switch goes bad in 3 years your local store is going to handle it? (theres a 5 year warranty) They may make a phone call for you but thats really about the extent of what they can really do.
I can easily make the same 800# phone call for service.

IF there was a $75.00-$100.00 difference, I would have bought from them.

But over $400.00 ?

No thank you.

(Sorry to the OP but I was asked, even though I don't feel I need to explain my purchases or actions to anyone, I still replied.)

My Conscience is very Clear.

Doug Jones from Oregon
03-30-2008, 1:32 PM
Scott...sorry if I ruffled your feathers, not my intention.

It was my intention to climb on my soap box for a moment and state my opinion of a trend I see in many markets by all kinds of folks.

I'm pleased to hear that you do support your local store(s), I suspect many if not most of us do to some extent. I also think your local store probably made more profit off your "smaller" purchases than they would have off the lathe.

I may be the odd duck out here (what else is new), but, if I had a machine switch go out after 3 years, even with a lifetime warranty, I would probably fix it that day and get on with getting on, not even attempt to contact the factory...my time is worth more than that.

Me, if I go to a retail outlet, touch it, test it, and ask for details about it...I'll buy it there. That's just me, might not work for all but I at least got a chance to state my position....thank you.

Doug

Brian McInturff
03-30-2008, 2:18 PM
I guess besides the "Made in the USA" slogan we all like to use we should also adopt the phrase "Bought from local Merchant". I have thought several times about opening a woodworking store of some kind here in Myrtle Beach, but each time I try and put a 5 year plan together I stop and think about how more and more purchases are made over the net. Consumers save on paying tax, the internet seller usually has no or very little overhead. To compete with that scares me to death. It's a double edge sword. As a buyer you want to save money so you can have more but at some point the brick and mortar places will all be gone and then you will have a harder time getting to "test" an item before purchasing. The closest store to me is about 100 miles away already and I live in a populated resort area. I wonder what the auto industry would do if people started purchasing their vehicles off the net instead of the showrooms. When those sales start having an impact then I think we will start seeing changes to how you are allowed to shop. Soap box over, I'm just glad the internet is here othersise we wouldn't be reading this:D

Chris Barnett
03-30-2008, 2:59 PM
Echo what Kurt Bird said.