PDA

View Full Version : Another 3520B Delivery

Tom Hamilton
03-29-2008, 8:40 PM
Greetings Fellow Turners:

A few phone calls and Joe at Osolnik Tools agreed to send me a new 3520B. That was on Monday and Friday the truck showed up for a residential delivery.

The driver rolled the pallet jack up the driveway slope and into the garage. I asked him if he could get the nearly 700 pounds up on the shop floor (2 1/4" above the concrete) and he said sure. At one point he grabbed the corner of the pallet and lifted and pushed by hand. 700 pounds moved enough to to finish the job with the pallet jack. Amazing.

So here it sat:

Everything inside is tightly packed in undamaged.

The pallet forms the bottom of the carton, so it is easy to lift the cardboard carton off the pallet and unpack the pieces.

I got some help to lift the components and Schazzam!

You might be interested in the mobile base I'm using. This is from an article on the Mustard Monster web side and suggests using a lift table. Harbor Freight has them on sale this week for $99 down from $139. Better yet the web site price is $89, which they will honor if you print out a copy of the web page and bring it to the store

The centering the headstock to maintain balance I can just lift the legs off the floor and move it as necessary. And the table will also lift heavy logs to the bandsaw!

So, I guess I've eliminated all excuses, time to develop some new skills and reduce the stash.

I think this machine is a perfect 10, I may call it Bo!

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, where Spring has sprung and the new lathe, which adds up to a Perfect 10, is in the SHOP!

Scott Hubl
03-29-2008, 8:49 PM
CONGRATS and Welcome to the Wonderful world of GOLD!:D

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2008, 9:15 PM
Tom - Congrats on your new machine! Looks like it should work out real nice for you! I'll be watching for a lot of turnings coming from your shop - real soon! Have fun with it!

tim mathis
03-29-2008, 9:31 PM
congratulations tom you are going to love it . that thing is smooth.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Congrats Tom! I guess my little stay in Houston in June wore off on you! Enjoy that Mustard!

Na..Na...Na....Na.....Na.......Na....

Hey Andy....you lost another one!:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Congrats Tom on the new machine. Now the fun begins.

michael gallagher
03-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Wow....you go from a Jet Mini / Chevrolet right up to the Cadillac.....I'm impressed! You've spent a lifetime woodworking, but only get your first lathe a year ago. I would certainly call this hobby an infection!

Ken Glass
03-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Tom,
Welcome to the world of the Mustard Monster. Your going to love this machine. Looks like you've got a lot of catching up to do on all those blanks waiting to be spun.... go get um....

Paul Gallian
03-29-2008, 11:40 PM
My 3520B was a lemon!

Hope you have better luck..

paul

Robert McGowen
03-30-2008, 1:11 AM
Happy spinning Tom! :)

Jim Becker
03-30-2008, 9:09 AM
Congratulations, Tom!

Ron Oastler
03-30-2008, 9:24 AM
it looks great, like the idea of the lift table, I am selling my general 160 an planning to order the pm3520b this week I hope, just need to check out bringing one across the border into canada

Tony De Masi
03-30-2008, 9:47 AM
Congrats Tom and welcome to the Mustard Club.

Tony

marty purselley
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Very nice setup! Someday I'll turn my 12-20 into a buffing station and get a big boy lathe! But hey, tell me about that tool cart/sharpening station? I like the design? Is that a loweswood bathroom cabinet on wheels or something else?

Ben Gastfriend
03-30-2008, 3:18 PM
Congrats on the new lathe! Sure got a big stack of blanks there. You should have plenty to keep ya occupied.

I think Andy should hire a new (mayo) marketing director!:D

Tom Hamilton
03-30-2008, 9:38 PM
Marty, I wish the cabinet was that refined. Actually it is a 3/4 ply box with excess inventory Elfa wire baskets for shelves for the lathe "stuff". I like to use furniture moving dollies instead of casters for the bases of mobile machines. Usually I can buy the moving dollies for $15 or so, (Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Home Depot) which is about the same as good casters and the moving dollies have the frame.

I store chucks, lathe flora and fauna and accessories in Elfa drawers and can blow out the chips and dust with the leaf blower. If I get my head back into flat work I'll put some doors in the cabinet.

The lathe tools are held by two magnetic tool holders that Rockler had on sale last month.

Thanks for asking, Tom

Paul Gallian
03-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Took your advise on the hydraulic table at Harbor Freight. They did honor the web sale price.. Thanks

If I ever get my replacement lathe from Powermatic (WMH) I will put it to use.
Seems to be better than using an engine hoist.

Thanks

Fred Conte
03-31-2008, 4:59 PM
Congrats Tom on your new Mustard Machine, the vortex is really sending alot of folks into a buying frenzy:D - that tip on the lift table is a great idea instead of an engine hoist! Thanks!

Barry Stratton
03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Congrats Tom, you are going to love it!

But you need more wood.....that's about 2 days worth;)

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Congrats Tom!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're going to really love that lathe.

George Morris
03-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Congrats, welcome to the Mustard Monster force... George