PDA

View Full Version : Corel help

Ray Rouleau
03-29-2008, 5:39 PM
Hello all! I was hoping someone could help me out of a small dilema. I drew this up awhile ago and am having a little difficulty tracing the outside perimiter for a hairline. I'de like to leave a visible white border, but for the life of me am having a heck of a time . Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rgds
Ray

Thad Nickoley
03-29-2008, 6:03 PM
i have no idea how to trace, I am going to watch this one.

Mike Mackenzie
03-29-2008, 6:15 PM
Ray,

This is what you need to do ungroup everything or break apart the curve.
Change the thick outline to a hairline use the contour tool and contour to the outside a given distance. Break apart the contour group select the inside line and change it back to the thickness you originally had.

I did it on this file attached however I did not have the same fonts installed so this file does not have any text in it.

Scott Shepherd
03-29-2008, 8:33 PM
If you have X3 then it's even easier, but Mike's already nailed that. Select the object, click "Effects" and then "Create Boundary" and it's done.

Pay close attention, if you don't have your hairline default to a different color (red), then when you do that step, you won't see anything change. It's there, it's done, but it happens fast. Just check the object manager to see the new object.

Bob Davis
03-30-2008, 5:00 AM
I don't want to appear too pedantic about this stuff (though I probably am), but there are some problems with alignment and line segments in the design. The numbers don't appear to be centred in the arrow portions, the whole design is slightly skewed, line segments don't join cleanly and the line caps selected produce little jaggy bits. These factors are likely to result in a product that you may not be happy with, and also could produce some problems in production.
CorelDraw is a great program, but it has a steep learning curve. However, liberal use of layers, duplication, snap to guidelines, auto-close curves and the contour tool will get you up and running. Oh yes, welding and wireframe view as well.
Centreing numbers can be a trap even if you do everything properly. Due to their shape and kerning it often doesn't work well and you need to use your eye for positioning. If it looks right, it is.

Ray Rouleau
03-31-2008, 6:35 PM
Just want to thank you all for your help and comments.
Best Regards
Ray