PDA

View Full Version : Ever bought a tool you never used?

Eric Fuller
03-29-2008, 3:33 PM
I have...Delta mortising machine I've literally never made one cut with in 4 years. Seemed like a good idea at the time! What's your worst tool purchase?

Ben Rafael
03-29-2008, 3:39 PM
Belt sander.
Used it once. Haven't had a use for it since.
I should sell it.

Tyler Howell
03-29-2008, 3:41 PM
Don't get me started.:o

David DeCristoforo
03-29-2008, 3:59 PM
It's easier to buy a tool you never use than to use a tool you never bought....
Or somthin' like that.....

YM

jason lambert
03-29-2008, 5:24 PM
Festool MFT, I have tow never really needed the second used it one like one project. Use the first 1080 on every project.

Wade Lippman
03-29-2008, 5:30 PM
I bought two tools from Homier; a sawsall and something else I don't even remember. They broke as soon as I turned them on. Do they count?

Other than that, just a dovetail jig I haven't had a project come up that I needed it for since I bought it a few months ago. I definitely WILL use it. I am making some drawers next week; I usually don't bother dovetailing them, but maybe I will just to try the jig.

Jeff Duncan
03-29-2008, 5:33 PM
You've asked two totally different questions..... ever bought a tool you never used? and, worst tool you ever bought?
I've bought several tools that I've never used....yet, but may still have a use for them someday.
Worst tool I've bought to date was a auction purchase for a 10" disc/6x48" belt sander which was pretty much beyond repair when I got it.

Of course that's just to date, who knows what tomorrow brings:D
JeffD

James Hart
03-29-2008, 5:34 PM
I never actually build anything. I collect tools and sit out in the garage and look at them. Ask my wife.

Jim

William Nimmo
03-29-2008, 5:38 PM
delta mortising jig for me too. maybe used it once.
Just purchased a hollow chisel mortiser used a few months ago, I don' know why.

John Cooper2
03-29-2008, 5:58 PM
As we speak, bought a grizzley dust collector at least 13 years ago.
Moved it today with the intention of loading it on the truck to sell at a tool swap tommorow. Had to plug it in to see if it really worked (it did), now I don't want to sell it for some stupid reason. Have another blower that would make a better collector, but no motor yet.

Pack Rat is an understatment.

Help...........

Eric Barker
03-29-2008, 6:28 PM
I bought a Legacy Ornamental Mill about 8 years ago for a project that never got out of the gate. Oh well.

Norman Pyles
03-29-2008, 6:40 PM
Craftsman dovetail jig, which has been collecting dust for 4 or 5 years.

Don Bullock
03-29-2008, 6:51 PM
Not one that I'll admit in public where SWMBO might see the post.:eek:;):D

Wade Lippman
03-29-2008, 6:57 PM
Not one that I'll admit in public where SWMBO might see the post.

Well, that is darn foolish! Imagine having a wife that knows how to use a computer...:eek:

Mark Singer
03-29-2008, 6:58 PM
A lot of expensive planes are never used. I have a few that are on the side lines quite a bit as I reach for favorites. I know a lot of collectors though...

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/mSinger/avidCollector/avidCollector.asp

Jim O'Dell
03-29-2008, 7:13 PM
I've got a Delta 13" planer that's never been out of the box, but I got it at a great price, knowing I would use it one day. Hope it works when I get to that point!
Several tools that sat unused for 3 or 4 years while I work on the shop. E16 BS, PC 7518, Incra 25"LS fence, Woodpecker PRL come to mind quickly, but each has finally seen some light use in the last 5 months. Jim.

David Tiell
03-29-2008, 7:26 PM
I've got several I've bought but never used. Most I bought without having an immediate use for, but got a great deal on so bought it. My biggest problem is with things like that, when I do finally have a need for them, I can never find where I put them then have to come up with another way to do what I bought the item to do in the first place. Of course, after that, it tuens up.:D

chris yount
03-29-2008, 7:36 PM
Actually thats how I get some of my tools.My dad buys them doesn't use them and then cleans up his shop .I have gotten a cordless drill ,a small combination disk and belt sander,50' of air hose, and a few other small hand tools,I just don't bother to tell mom about his purchases.No sense in messing up a good thing.

Mike Heidrick
03-29-2008, 7:39 PM
I have a 5hp cyclone that I have not used because I have not bought ductwork. The single stage 5hp collector with flex hose works so well that I have been too cheap to order the ductwork as I keep buying other tools. Had plans to buy ductwork until MiniMax days came this year. Thinking maybe in May depending on the bonus.

I just got a Jet 13" planer/moulder in the past few months. Have not used it yet. Same with a PM 701 mortiser. Funny both from the same guy (Chris is awesome). Have plans for both though. The free Jet parallel clamps he threw in have all been used though.

Bought a used corded sawzall - So far I keep grabbing the cordless one.

Bought a 200lb anvil I have not used and a quick lift 3 ton jack.

Also bought a 20" scroll saw at leats a year ago for the shopsmith I have not used. Also the pen turning kit for the shopsmith and the mortiser for the shopsmith. Hmm - see above. If I did not use the one I had why did I buy another. New tool low for me.

Also have a pneumatic grease gun that has not been used yet.

All of the tools in this list have been so cheap I could not pass them up. That makes it OK though right :rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused:

Gene O. Carpenter
03-29-2008, 8:18 PM
Mike you want to sell the anvil?I'll put it with all of my other unused tools..I sold the good one that I had for years and kicked myself in the backside for letting it go..
Gene

Michael Boyle
03-29-2008, 8:27 PM
I have a real nice Shop Fox mortise machine that I have to move out of the way every time I have to get to the other side of my work bench. It looks great and I am sue I will find a use for it someday....but for now and the last three years it just sits. I probably should sell it but i cannot bring myself to part with a perfectly good tool.

Brian Kent
03-29-2008, 9:33 PM
Rockler Dovetail jig.

Dovetails are just too much fun by hand, so I never bother to set up the jig.

Greg Hines, MD
03-29-2008, 9:54 PM
Bought a 200lb anvil I have not used.

I sure hope that you don't get rid of it. A good anvil is hard to find these days. But then again, it was even harder to find a good forge.

Doc

Peter Quinn
03-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a Lie Nielson scrub plan that has never touched wood and a low angle jack plane that has been tested, enjoyed, cleaned and put back in its carefully crafted display case, but never used on an actual piece of work.

Otherwise, can't think of one tool that gets kept without earning its keep, so to speak.

Dave MacArthur
03-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Just bought the Bosch 1590 EVS jigsaw today at the Lowes sale. Even as I paid for it, I thought, "I'll never use this..." since I have a 14" delta bandsaw, and am planning on getting a Griz 0514x2 18" bandsaw... which, of course means I could never cut something with that jigsaw without feeling like I didn't need the band saw heh.

I had an old Skil jigsaw from Walmart that I used back in the 90's, still works, have to CraigsList that thing now.

I sure hope I DO find a use for the jigsaw, something I wouldn't rather cut on the tablesaw or bandsaw, but it just looked like such a great tool, with potential as a single cutting tool at a DIY/fixerupper jobsite.

Richard M. Wolfe
03-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Dave, if that Skil jigsaw is the same as the one I had and if you find a buyer for it, please give me their phone #. I've got some real estate and a bridge or two to unload.

I've bought three tools I can think of offhand that I've not used but nothing I think I won't use. Like the $12.95 HF pin nailer for a specific upcoming job.

I did buy a common sense applicator a few years back that I've never used. Can't seem to find a good deal on common sense (I need the large economy size :D ).

Carl Fox
03-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Worst tool I ever bought? a ~$100 Delta benchtop table saw. I was so happy when I bought it, then I discovered that the fence was a complete pile of crap when I got my Grizzly with the Shop Fox Classic fence.

That old saw could only get within 5 degrees of true.

Ron Dunn
03-30-2008, 12:43 AM
A biscuit joiner. Never even unwrapped the plastic. Bought it on an impulse, been trying to figure out who would benefit from the gift ever since.

Mike Heidrick
03-30-2008, 2:00 AM
I sure hope that you don't get rid of it. A good anvil is hard to find these days. But then again, it was even harder to find a good forge.

Doc

You don't see anvils too often. I have a couple pieces of railroad track, but the anvil is much nicer. I have a Hardie tool for the anvil and I think the anvil has two sizes of Hardie holes but I may be wrong on that.

No forge yet for me though!!

Rich Engelhardt
03-30-2008, 7:30 AM
Hello,
Hmm,,
- Microtech SOCOM.
- Benchmade AFCK.
- Custom Darrel Ralph Krait.
- Bunch of Benchmade - others.
- Rossi 12 ga "rabbit ear" coach.
- 20 ga BPS
- BLR .22
- S&W, 19's and 17's - pair of each
- Kimber stainless.
- Lowrance - that never made it to the boat.

Oh, wait , you mean tool - tools ;)

Yesterday, I'm out in the garage and I uncover a shop vac box. I open it to see what's stored in it, and low and behold, it's a shop vac! I forgot I had three of them. This was the one I bought last Nov, (Home Depot - $29.00) because it came with a free filter. Filters run $15.00 so i figured why not?

J. Z. Guest
03-30-2008, 8:07 AM
I had a cheap pocket hole jig that I bought and never used. I bought the Kreg K3MS and that was that for the cheapy.

I was given a 10" Delta compound miter saw that I did use, but not often enough to warrant the space in my shop. I replaced it with the nifty 5-1/2" Skil circular saw for breaking down lumber and rough cuts, and finish up on the tablesaw.

Most other tools, I buy for a specific purpose, so I don't have this problem in general.

Vernon Taylor
03-30-2008, 8:08 AM
I could probaly open a branch store for HF. You know how it is,you see something priced cheaply and think I could have used that when_____and you wind up buying it and sticking in a cabinet, just in case.