PDA

View Full Version : Name that vise

Matt Stiegler
03-29-2008, 10:36 AM
I inherited this bench top, and the vise that was on it is long gone. I'm trying to figure out which vise I could install using the same bolt holes.

The bolt pattern is a rectangle. The holes are 7.5" apart center to center on the long side and 3 and 3/8" apart on the short side. The front bolt holes are about an inch in from the edge. There are traces of the paint that rubbed off on the underside of the bench, which look to my untrained eye very much like Record blue, and the U-shaped indents left around the back bolt holes look mighty like those on Records. (I tried to insert a photo, no luck).

Can anyone tell me what vise(s) -- Anant and Lee Valley especially -- fit that bolt pattern exactly?

Much obliged.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89008557@N00/2370434377/

Butch Spears
03-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Can't see the pics, just plug the holes, sand them smooth and mount the new vise. Butch Spears

Matt Stiegler
03-29-2008, 1:47 PM
It was a record 52 1/2ED. I was able to get the bolt dimensions from the good folks at highland.

The lee valley vises have a different bolt configuration, a trapezoid rather than a rectangle.

Mike Ryschkewitsch
03-30-2008, 5:24 PM
That matches my Record vise and should match the Anant versions that Highland sells. It is amazing what the Record vices are going for on Ebay. A 53 just sold for nearly $500 bucks! Highland says the Anants are good and I will give one w whirl soon as a need another vise.

Mike R