PDA

View Full Version : mortise chisels

Kieran Kammerer
03-29-2008, 7:45 AM
I am constructing a bed that requires 3/4 inch wide mortises and I will be hand chopping them. I have been looking around for a mortise chisel this size and have only come up with Henry Taylor or Sorby. Any thoughts/experiences with either one of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kieran

Stephen Shepherd
03-29-2008, 8:19 AM
Kieran,

I like everything about this chisel except the handle, a bit unwieldy, but a great mortise chisel.

All sides are square no ground relief as they should be and I keep all edges sharpe as even the sides of the bevel pare the cheeks of the mortise.

I usually use a smaller chisel to do the work then go to the Big Sorby to finish and square everything up. Chopping mortises with the big chisel is possible and I do use it on occasion but it is a lot of work. Easier to work with smaller mortise chisels.

Stephen

Kieran Kammerer
03-29-2008, 8:47 AM
Thanks Steve. I did mortise the first set with a 3/8 inch chisel. They came out relatively good, however some minor variations in the final width comparing one mortise to another.(which I plan to compensate for with minor variations in the tenons). Based on what you said, I may be better pushing on with the mortise chisel I have and investing my money in a swan neck chisel to help clean up the bottoms.

Thanks again,

Kieran

Mark Stutz
03-29-2008, 8:54 AM
Keiran,
I've done up to 3/8 in. mortices by hand. Never tackled one that big by hand...but I would drill out most of the waste. A bit brace would make short work of it. Even the "old timers" did big mortices that way. Lots of beam boring machines at auctions.

James Carmichael
03-29-2008, 11:05 AM
I've seen Crown mortise chisels in that size, too, but I think Mark has the right idea.

Kieran Kammerer
03-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks to all. Time to get chopping.

Mike Henderson
03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Drill the mortise out first. Makes the job much easier on a big mortise.

Mike