PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder burl lidded box

Curt Fuller
03-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I found some real nice Box Elder burl on a dead tree that was being torn out on a construction site. I went back that night and got all I could before my saw ran out of gas (forgot to take the gas can). The next night I went to get more and it had been hauled off. But I got a couple pretty nice burls. This is a lidded box from a piece of one of them. It's 8" tall by 4.5" diameter. The rim inside the box and around the lid, and the finial are dyed somethingorother wood.

Scott Hubl
03-29-2008, 12:10 AM
SWEET!

I like that! NICE turning!

Allen Neighbors
03-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Absolutely stunning. Consider yourself copied. :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Beautiful piece Curt. Really like the form and finish. Well done.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Curt.....stunning...gorgeous..fabulous...beautiful ......Nicely done!

David Walser
03-29-2008, 4:23 AM
Curt,

That's a wonderful box. I particularly like the contrast between the rough, natural edge of the box's exterior "wrapper" with the smooth round dome box top. It's as if you had two separate pieces. A round, highly finished, sphere that was then wrapped in a burl vase. Fantastic work. Wonderful design. Phenomenal execution.

In general, I like it.

Added: Looking at the pictures again, I realized what the box reminds me of: An old fashioned waffle cone holding a single scoop of butterscotch ice cream. Curt, you'll get extra points if you make it a double scoop next time!

Terry Quiram
03-29-2008, 7:17 AM
Curt

I like this box very much. I agree with Allen, this one will have to be copied.

Ben Gastfriend
03-29-2008, 7:55 AM
Really nice! Some beautiful wood and a great form. And the finial is fantastic.

Tom Keen
03-29-2008, 9:34 AM
very very very nice!

Matt Hutchinson
03-29-2008, 9:51 AM
Nice one again! I have really been enjoying your work! I wish I could run into wood like that....I'm jealous.

Quick question: I haven't attempted a form like this yet. What tool do you use to reach deep between the "ice cream" and the "waffle cone" ?

Can't wait to see more!

Hutch

Mike A. Smith
03-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Ditto what everyone else said: SWEET!

Scott Hubl
03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Curt,
Would you happen to have pics of the burl before turning and maybe with it mounted on the lathe?

I have about 6 or so burl pieces I bought at Rockler locally and just havent a clue what to do with them, there small rectangular pieces.And real small pieces.
Keep in mind i'm a newbie at turning, I just happen to have gone hog wild on my turning tools.
I need ALOT of practice yet.

The funny thing is I was searching the galleries on the AAW forums and saw a piece like yours and have seen some Cindy Drozda makes.
Then you post this wonderful piece, and I like this style alot.

My pieces might be too small and not enough "cap" on them.

The burls are expensive to buy but sure are pretty. I'll be looking at buying some larger pieces soon.

How do you clean all the wax out of the nooks and crannies and burl cap? Mine are fully coated.:confused:

Do you cut a slice off the bottom to make a matching lid?
Heres a pic of some I recently picked up.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p59/AmericanAndProud/Burls-Pods.jpg

Thanks for any further info you can give.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Curt - what I really like about your work is that it is always top-notch quality and it's different! Your work serves as a great example for all of us to take chances and step away from all the traditional shapes.

This piece has attitude! Love the high back on the vase - reminds me of an Elizabethan collar - which draws attention to the finial and lid. Beautiful natural colors!

As always - beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!

Curt Fuller
03-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Quick question: I haven't attempted a form like this yet. What tool do you use to reach deep between the "ice cream" and the "waffle cone" ?

Hutch

Matt, I have a 5/8" Henry Taylor superflute gouge that's ground back with a long Ellsworth type fingernail grind. It was unhandled and when I made a handle for it I left as much tool sticking out of the handle as I dared. I think it's only got about 1.75" in the handle. That made the gouge about 9" long so it reaches pretty deep. Box Elder burl is soft and cuts easy so it wasn't a problem reaching in that far over the tool rest.

Scott, I don't have a pic of the wood before I turned it but it was pretty similar to the ones in your picture. (those are some nice burls) The lid is made from the same wood cut off the bottom end opposite the burl edge and turned seperate from the box. There's a small piece that sits on a ledge in the box that makes a rim for the lid to seat in and the lid has a rim around it too. Here's a pic with the lid off.

Thanks everyone

Brian Brown
03-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Curt,

I've enjoyed all your work posted here, but I think this is my favorite. It is similar to a piece I have wanted to try, but I haven't been able to find the wood for it. I'm curious how you turned the body, without the force of spinning the piece causing it to fly apart? It seems that the cracks shown by the arrows in the picture would be weak spots that would easily break. I have lots of experience with the flying apart part, :( just not the holding together part.

Great work, I can't wait to seee your next.

Curt Fuller
03-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm curious how you turned the body, without the force of spinning the piece causing it to fly apart? It seems that the cracks shown by the arrows in the picture would be weak spots that would easily break.

I wrap it in that blue painters masking tape after I've got the outside shaped and start cutting the inside. But you also have to just take your time and take light cuts.

Bill Wyko
03-29-2008, 1:10 PM
Curt that is absolutely stunning!!!! One of my favorites. If it had a stem it would look like a bubbling glass of champagne. Fantastic job.

Tom Sherman
03-29-2008, 2:23 PM
Nice wood gloat Curt, and an extra nice box.