PDA

View Full Version : Blade heeling out on tilt - Delta Contractor

Jared Cuneo
03-28-2008, 11:23 PM
I searched for this topic but only saw responses to fixed a heeled blade at 90 degrees.

My blade is perfect when at 90, but as I tilt, the back of the blade heels toward the fence....It's fairly significant too....

Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks!

JC

Joe Jensen
03-28-2008, 11:27 PM
There have been a few discussions on this. It is adjustable with shims between the trunion and cabinet base.

Here are a few threads
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79453&highlight=heel+sawstop

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=44280&highlight=heel+sawstop

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60038&highlight=heel+sawstop

Anthony Whitesell
03-29-2008, 8:42 AM
There are more specifics than one would like to solve an easy problem:

1. If the top of the blade tilts to the left
AND
the fence is on the right side of the blade
AND
the BACK of the blade is closer to the fence than the FRONT
THEN
shim the BACK of the trunion down/away from the top.

2. If the top of the blade tilts to the left
AND
the fence is on the right side of the blade
AND
the FRONT of the blade is closer to the fence than the BACK
THEN
shim the FRONT of the trunion down/away from the top.

First get adjust at 45 degrees first then do 90 and then check 45 and 90 again.

I know this orientation and adjustment are correct. I just dropped the rear of my trunion ~1/8" (yes, 0.122") to correct a ~0.035 toe at 45 degrees. At 90 degrees I was -0.001".

Joe Jensen
03-29-2008, 6:53 PM
Anthony, after shimming, were you close for both 90 and 45?

Tom Veatch
03-29-2008, 7:29 PM
Anthony, after shimming, were you close for both 90 and 45?

Shimming between the trunnion and table (contractor/hybrid) or between the table and cabinet (cabinet saw) should not affect the alignment of the blade at 0/90 since the shimming rotates the table about an axis parallel to the 0/90 position of arbor.

Shimming the front of the table (raising the front of the table) moves the front of the blade in the direction of tilt. Shimming the rear of the table (raising the rear of the table) moves the rear of the blade in the direction of tilt. If no tilt, as would be the case with the blade at 0/90, shimming doesn't move the blade either direction.

However, adjusting the 0/90 alignment rotates the table about an axis that is NOT parallel to the 45 position of the arbor axis which will affect the 45 alignment. Therefore, the saw should be aligned satisfactorily at 0/90 before attempting to align at 45.

The last time I realigned my cabinet saw, the 0/90 was adjusted to < .001 TIR before attempting to adjust the .02+ TIR 45 degree misalignment. Shimming brought the 45 to < .001 and did not change the 0/90 a detectable amount.

(Measurements made with an A-Lign-It and Master Plate)

Anthony Whitesell
03-29-2008, 8:44 PM
Yep, about 0.001 on both. It was running really nice at 90 degrees but after shimming for 45, at 90 degrees it was way off. I expected that because I have never knew you could or how to make adjustments at 45 degrees and therefore never tested it. At 90 degrees I had to file the holes in the trunion to get enough movement to get it set right. So after loosening the trunion bolts a few dozen times, I didn't doubt that screwed up the 90 degree setting. I set it at 45 degrees and then set it at 90 and went back to check both and neither moved.

Jared Cuneo
03-29-2008, 9:32 PM
I think I am going to try to get it aligned tonight. Don't be surprised if my next thread is titled, 'Help, I've f*d up my delta contractor'

:)