PDA

View Full Version : OT - MS Word Problems

Peter Stahl
03-24-2004, 2:38 PM
Any MS Word Pro’s out there. I’m trying to print things from word that were done previously in a different version of Word on a different computer. I think they were done in Word 6.0/95, I now have Ver. 97. I have a document with several tables, if I open it and look at the tables with print preview everything looks good. If I send it to the printer it gets all screwed up. I copied the tables to a New (blank) document, saved it, then printed it and it printed out ok. Is there a special way they need to be saved? The computer I’m using has Windows XP, don’t know what the oringinal was done on.

thanks, Pete

Neal McCormick
03-24-2004, 3:34 PM
Try one of these:

Open the file as a Word 6.0/95 document - you have to select this option. Double clicking on the icon will not do it for you. Use File - Open - Files of Type (the last line in the box that opens) and select Word 6.0/95 for Windows and MacIntosh. Then save it as a Word 97 file. Then try printing it.

If that doesn't work, copy the whole document, open a blank file, paste the file in, the save as a Word 97 doc. Then print it.

If that doesn't work try searching on MS Office 97 help file. You can get to it (I think) by using the Help function from the toolbar. Or just google search on MS Word 97 help.

Lee Schierer
03-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Any chance it was a WordPerfect file. They had a version 6.0a that isn't compatible with word unless you saved it from WordPerfect as a "Word.doc" file. Tables are more problematic that just text.

I still have and use Wordperfect 6.0a so if you want me to try it, email me the file. I also have Word 97. Send me a PM and I will give you my email address.

Peter Stahl
03-26-2004, 6:25 AM
Neal, Lee,

Thanks for the reply's. I found out that most of the problem with my word file is the printer. We have networked laser printers and The Lexmark I was sending it to would only print the tables correctly if I copied them to a new document. I sent the original (that wouldn’t print right on the Lexmark) to the HP (Color) laser printer next door and had no problems at all. Don't know what the set up difference is, I'll look into it when I get more time.

Pete