PDA

View Full Version : Mega Gloat Action

Narayan Nayar
03-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I have a night of unpacking ahead of me and at least a day before I can round up enough folks to uncrate. So I thought I'd start my gloat early. :)

Not one, but two lift-gate freight trucks showed up today. I moved everything out of the way last night in preparation for today's deliveries, and now my garage shop is full-o-crate. Anyone want to guess what these are? :)

Richard M. Wolfe
03-28-2008, 10:12 PM
A new washer and dryer?

Really big salt and pepper shakers?

Ben Cadotte
03-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I have a night of unpacking ahead of me and at least a day before I can round up enough folks to uncrate. So I thought I'd start my gloat early. :)

Not one, but two lift-gate freight trucks showed up today. I moved everything out of the way last night in preparation for today's deliveries, and now my garage shop is full-o-crate. Anyone want to guess what these are? :)

I know one of them is French - Fra gi le :D:D

Narayan Nayar
03-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Ben's close. Right continent, anyway :P

Ben Cadotte
03-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I am guessing one is a combo jointer / planer (smaller box). And the other is a table saw.

Wade Lippman
03-28-2008, 10:47 PM

How do you figure they are gloats? Get a "buy two, third one free" special?

Narayan Nayar
03-28-2008, 11:21 PM
No, more like, buy two, get a free wooden crate and two wooden pallets. ?

Fred Haydon
03-29-2008, 5:37 AM
I thought "Fragile" was Italian!?!

Jim Becker
03-29-2008, 9:57 AM
Yea, I'm thinking some Italian or German tool technology is in those crates!

David Eisan
03-29-2008, 9:58 AM
That is a odd purchase, what are you going to do with 50 bags of Styrofoam peanuts?

David.

:)

Rob Russell
03-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Bandsaw in the plywood box, Hammer/Felder jointer/planer (possibly full combo, but box doesn't look big enough) in the cardboard one.

Craig D Peltier
03-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Jointer in wood box. Cardboard box is anyones guess. Maybe the new Firestorm TS.

Narayan Nayar
03-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Jim and Rob were closest.

These should help. :)

These things were packed really well. Unfortunately the extras I ordered with the Hammer, most notably the mobility kit, didn't make it, so that's probably going to sit on its crate over the weekend unless I can engineer something to just get it down off the crate. But that's OK; Carl at Felder has been really great so far. With the A3-31 I ordered the aluminum digital wheel, some cobalt knives, and an extension; I guess those aren't far behind. I've got a nice 11" piece of walnut ready to christen the j/p :).

As for the bandsaw, it took me about an hour to get the top of the crate off, and I only have 1 5" scratch in my arm from a protruding staple--not bad :rolleyes:. With the Agazzani I ordered a mobile base, a 1" TriMaster, a 1/2" premier gold blade (thought I'd try one out) and one each of 3/8" 1/4" CS blades. The Agazzani has a metric miter slot, so I had to get that miter gauge. Seems fine.

I've got a good friend coming in from out of town today. Yeah, guess what he's being volunteered for...

Next pics when they're in place and plugged in.

Ben Cadotte
03-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Got one machine right, but wrong box. :rolleyes::D

Narayan Nayar
03-29-2008, 5:56 PM
Um. Help.

Setting up the bandsaw is just a matter of a number of strong folks helping me out. But I've got a friend here, not a small guy, and we can't budge the Hammer more than a few inches.

How would you guys suggest moving the Hammer off its palette? I don't want to lift it by the tables, obviously, and it'll be hard to get 4 guys around the base.

:confused:

Jason White
03-29-2008, 6:09 PM
Well, judging by the "FRAGILE" on the crate, I'd say...

"It's a major award!"

:D

(Note: Only fans of a certain holiday-type movie will get the joke.)

Frank Martin
03-29-2008, 6:29 PM
I went through the same (twice actually to change the mobile base) with the Grizzly J/P. I used an engine hoist. Did it all by myself.

Robert foster
03-29-2008, 6:32 PM
I'd leave it on the pallet until your mobile base comes. It's easier to lift down than up.

Bob

Curt Harms
03-30-2008, 6:50 PM
I went through the same (twice actually to change the mobile base) with the Grizzly J/P. I used an engine hoist. Did it all by myself.
I had a jointer/Planer and some other heavy stuff to deal with. I looked at rentals and decided on this:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93840. I figure I can use it for various things and sell it for purchase price minus rentals or better. It's just real handy if you've got the room to store it.

Curt

Brian Effinger
03-30-2008, 9:58 PM
Well, judging by the "FRAGILE" on the crate, I'd say...

"It's a major award!"

:D

(Note: Only fans of a certain holiday-type movie will get the joke.)

I know one of them is French - Fra gi le :D:D

This must be it:

But he hasn't posted a picture of it lighting his shop window :p

Jamie Buxton
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
How would you guys suggest moving the Hammer off its palette?

I believe you can stick 2x4s or the like under the machine -- not at the feet, but in between. The 2x4s then can act like big handles. You could lift the entire machine with wedges or levers applied to the handles. However, I'd cut the pallet in two pieces, then use the 2x4's to lift only one end and remove the pallet piece from that end. Then I've do the same thing to remove the other piece of the pallet. Doing it in two pieces means less tipping hazard than doing it in one fell swoop.