PDA

View Full Version : No Room for a Big Jointer

glenn bradley
03-28-2008, 8:35 PM
Or just still saving your pennies like me? I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but this thing has gotten me by for almost a year. I sold my 6" because I was going to get a larger jointer "right away" . . . didn't happen.

Anyway, this thing saves the day again on some reclaimed white oak.

Just a little incentive for those of you who keep meaning to build one of these. They're pretty quick to make. I built mine Saturday, let the glue dry overnight and was using it Sunday.

Peter Quadarella
03-28-2008, 10:31 PM
As soon as I finish my planer/sander stand I am building that thing.

Jim Dunn
03-28-2008, 10:43 PM
I use one all the time on rough sawed lumber. Nice not to have to make 12" boards out of two 6" ones.

Tim Malyszko
03-29-2008, 9:06 AM
I use one all the time on rough sawed lumber. Nice not to have to make 12" boards out of two 6" ones.

I really should make one of these. I hate being "small-jointer guy". If I had room (and money) for an aircraft carrier jointer I would have one, but for now, this may be a good solution.

David Parker
03-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi Glen,

I've been going back and forth on buying a 6 inch vs 8 inch jointer for a while now. Besides the cost difference, a 6 inch would be so much easier to get into my tiny basement shop and would take up much less room.

Does your planer sled really take the place of a wide jointer? Is it easy to use? If the answer is yes to these questions, I would probably go out and buy a 6 inch jointer today :) Also, do you find any limitations in using the planer sled? Your sled looks really good. Did you follow the plans in the Jan/Feb 2005 issue of FWW? Do you recommend any modifications to that plan? Thanks for your insight.

Dave