PDA

View Full Version : Before and After Curtains

Allen Neighbors
03-28-2008, 8:32 PM
Someone asked about a chip barrier, and we read quite a few posts about curtains. These shots are to show that curtains do work. :)
Pic 2. A heavy Elm Blank that I hoisted up to my lathe to ready for coring.
Pic 1. The results of just rounding the Elm Blank.
Pic 3. The results after rough turning some Elm and Pecan Bowls.
One thing I discovered is that you have to sweep up more often when you keep the noodles contained close by. Hauled out 7 of those large blue DHL mail bags full of noodles, in two days, after coring and roughing 16 bowls.

Kennneth Sain
03-28-2008, 8:45 PM
I'm curious about the size and weight on a rather small (?) aluminum (?) faceplate. Do you find it trustworthy? :confused:

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Allen great pictures. Looked like it worked pretty slick.

Jon Lanier
03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm curious about that pulley system. Just how heavy is that blank?:eek:

Allen Neighbors
03-29-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm curious about the size and weight on a rather small (?) aluminum (?) faceplate. Do you find it trustworthy? :confused:
Ken, I use 8 #12 screws 2" long to hold the faceplate to the wood. I also use the tailstock on larger blanks. Trustworthy? Yep, I believe it is.

I'm curious about that pulley system. Just how heavy is that blank?
Jon, you talkin' about the curtain pulleys? or the block and tackle I'm using to hoist the blank? ;) The blank is about 70 or 80 pounds, the block and tackle has new 800# test rope on it. The upper block is attached to a cross member attached with bolts between two trusses. I've been plagued with back muscle spasms most of my adult life, so I'm not taking any chances. :D

Frank Triana
03-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Just about all new CNC metal working machines come enclosed, with Lexan windows. Then on the sheet metal enclosures are a dozen or so warning signs. I suspect that those are there from prior mishaps, prior lawsuits, and all that entails. I have also seen the damage done by a CNC lathe when it threw a workpiece. Thank God it was just property damage. Is Childress off 287? Be safe my Texas neighbor.

Allen Neighbors
03-29-2008, 1:56 PM
Yep. Childress is at the intersection of US62 and US287. Where you from, Frank?
I've had a couple of smaller things come apart on me, and a couple come off the lathe, but never lost any large pieces. What's a CNC lathe?
I had a 60+ pound piece of Apricot on the lathe, a day or so back, that I removed... When I started rounding it, I uncovered a large inclusion that went through from one side to the other... and I figured it wasn't worth the chance of a 30# piece of wood hitting me or the other stuff in the shed. :D
I'm really not as careless as some may think, though I am a little unorthodox at times. :D

neil mackay
03-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Al,

The older we get the slower our reflexes.............or so my son likes to remind. :D

Good idea and it works well, gets my vote