PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Jet Cyclone (JC-3CF)

Nick Hicks
03-28-2008, 8:31 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone who has one of these units would share their opinion/experience on its performance please?

I have read the Bill Pentz info but on bulding a cyclone but I'd prefer to buy one instead. I live in Australia and we don't have the same range of units available as in the US. Most of the available models are Tiawanese or mainland Chinese and detailed performance specifications or comparative reviews aren't available.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

bob cohen
03-29-2008, 9:34 AM
Sorry, but this unit just doesn't seem to compare favorably to the old standbys (oneida, penn state and grizzly). First, it is more expensive than any of those. Second, it is much taller (110") and certainly won't fit under a 9' ceiling. Finally, it doesn't appear to capture small particles as well--the jet description says 99% of particles down to 5 microns, while the oneida claims 99% down to 1 micron. It is also disappointing that the Jet does not show a fan curve. They do not even tell you at what static pressure their 1450 CFM measurement was made? Others here will may have a different opinion, but I would be afraid to lay down this kind of money for a largely unproven product.

Curt Harms
03-30-2008, 7:20 PM
Any chance of getting the equivalent of the U.S. Grizzly models? I presume they're made in either Taiwan or China. They're loosely based on Bill Pentz' design I think.

Nick Hicks
04-04-2008, 7:44 PM
Hi,

Curt & Bob -Thanks for the answers. The fact that not many replied probably means this model isn't popular. I emailed Oneida about their export model but never received a response. There doesn't seem to be a Grizzly lookalike on the market here - they probably have a 'no parallel OEM sales' contract with their suppliers.

Regards.

Ken Harrod
04-04-2008, 8:16 PM
I am in the process of building a Pentz design cyclone. I have a thread started with pictures of the whole project. I have worked a few hours a day for the past 3 days, and I just about have the cyclone part all complete. I need to add the intake, air ramp and then screw on the top plug with the outlet pipe.

I have no previous metal working or soldering experience like this. It is MUCH easier than I thought it would be.

I still need to aquire or build my blower, though...

Most of the other pages I found with people building a Pentz cylone ended up using a commercial blower for it. He has links on his page to I think 5 other peope's pages with their detailed building process. I think all but one used a commercial blower. You could build the cyclone and then use one of the China or Tiawanese blowers that are available where you are.

Ken