PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta sites to visit next week

Wes Billups
03-24-2004, 1:29 PM
I just have a quick question for those from the Atlanta area. I will be there next week and it looks like I'll have one free day. Other than Highland Hardware are there any must see places. I am most interested in stores, as we have none in Nebraska, so I try to hit at least one woodworking store where ever my travels take me. I would also be interested in any museums or anything else you may have to recommend.

Thanks in advance,
Wes Billups

Don Farr
03-24-2004, 1:48 PM
Come armed :D :D :D
I don't go to Atlanta unless it is absolutely necessary, but if you must....

Woodcraft
1085 Holcomb Bridge Rd.
Roswell, GA 30076
(770) 587-3372

I have not been there in years but if you want some night life they say Underground is fun. When we rebuilt Atlanta after the yankees burnt it down, we built it on top of the ruins. Since then they have put shops and bars Under Atlanta. :cool:

Also you may want to see if the Braves are playing...

Arvin Brown
03-24-2004, 2:36 PM
Come armed :D :D :D
I don't go to Atlanta unless it is absolutely necessary, but if you must....

Woodcraft
1085 Holcomb Bridge Rd.
Roswell, GA 30076
(770) 587-3372

I have not been there in years but if you want some night life they say Underground is fun. When we rebuilt Atlanta after the yankees burnt it down, we built it on top of the ruins. Since then they have put shops and bars Under Atlanta. :cool:

Also you may want to see if the Braves are playing...You can also go to Rockler:
6235 Roswell Road - Suite B, Sandy Springs, GA 30328
Chuck Tamburo, Store Manager
Contact this store by email or phone: (404) 460-1000

Another Good place:

Atlanta Hardwood Corporation
5596 Riverview Road / Mableton, GA. 30126 / (404) 792-2290 / (404) 792-2294 (fax)
Email: info@hardwoodweb.com

Braves would be good to go to except they are still in spring training next week. Underground is a dud. Go to Buckhead if you want night life - bars, etc.

Also - Harbor Freight, Northern Tool.

Mac McAtee
03-24-2004, 4:11 PM
Highland Hardware, don't know the address but they are in the phone book.

Don Farr
03-24-2004, 5:28 PM
Another Good place:

Atlanta Hardwood Corporation
5596 Riverview Road / Mableton, GA. 30126 / (404) 792-2290 / (404) 792-2294 (fax)
Email: info@hardwoodweb.com

Braves would be good to go to except they are still in spring training next week. Underground is a dud. Go to Buckhead if you want night life - bars, etc.

Also - Harbor Freight, Northern Tool.

Arvin.... I know exactly where Atlanta Hardwoods is located. I have always been reluctant to go there because of the size of the place. Do they cater to hobbyist like us?

Greg Tatum
03-24-2004, 6:13 PM
[QUOTE=Arvin Brown]You can also go to Rockler:
6235 Roswell Road - Suite B, Sandy Springs, GA 30328
Chuck Tamburo, Store Manager
Contact this store by email or phone: (404) 460-1000

Hey Arvin...you just brought a flood of memories...I grew up in Sandy Springs....left there 21yrs ago...Roswell Road, my old stomping ground.

Thanks,
Greg

Sam Chambers
03-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Wes:

Woodcraft and Rockler are good spots, and they're in the same area of town. But Highland Harware is the real jewel. A real candy store for woodworkers, and they're really good folks to work with.

Also, consider Redmond & Son (http://redmond-machinery.com). They carry new and used equipment, and are a big dealer in Delta factory refurbished machinery. Another good group of folks.

Happy hunting!

Maurice Ungaro
03-25-2004, 7:10 AM
Arvin.... I know exactly where Atlanta Hardwoods is located. I have always been reluctant to go there because of the size of the place. Do they cater to hobbyist like us?

Don,
They do cater to even us smaller sized "hobby" operations. My favorite wood supply source is Peach State Lumber in Kennesaw. They'll move a whole pallet down off of the racks, just to let you look at a stick. Real nice folks - I'd put them on par with the staff at Highland Hardware.

Wes,
As for museums and attractions, here's a couple:
The Atlanta History Center, located in Buckhead on E. Paces Ferry Rd. Really nice facility with an incredible collection of Civil War artifacts. Other exhibits include a Bobby Jones gallery for golf enthusiests, and some rotating exhibits. An early 20th cent. house museum is on the property which is a must see.

The Southern Museum of Civil War & Railroad History, located in Kennesaw. A brand new facility and a Smithsonian affiliate museum. Wonderful exhibits with the prefunctory Civil War stuff, but more interestingly, a vast post civil war industrialization section. You really need to see the restored 19th century machinery on exhibit. They've got a lathe with a TWENTY FOOT BED!!
The real kicker is "The General", the famous locomotive stolen by yankee spies. Neat stuff.

In downtown Atlanta, don't miss the Fox Theatre, on Peachtree Street, close to 3rd Street (also a great Italian bistro called "Baroanda" at the corner of 3rd & Peachtree). Anyway, the Fox is a wonderful 1920's movie theatre designed in the eclectic/exotic style. On Wednesdays, you can get a free tour (check for times). Don't miss this one. And to think, it was almost torn down.....

Close to downtown, you can check out The Cyclorama. A 360 degree mural depicting the Battle of Atlanta. Definitely worth the $5 admission. Don't miss the upstairs interpretive area which has a presentation of the painstaking restoration of the painting.

Hope this helps, and if you need some last minute advice, or get lost, call my cell phone: 678-458-0195

Maurice Ungaro
(can you tell that my bride works for the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce?)