PDA

View Full Version : Uh-ooo! Now what?

Jim McCarty
03-28-2008, 7:34 PM
I was just installing a new arbor and bearings in my Unisaw and was down to trying to get the last bearing out. I didn't have a puller and the local auto parts store didn't have anything that would work so I used a large C clamp to push it out from the back side and clamped the other end of the clamp to a rib on the bottom side of the table. Well, I just got a good lesson in how brittle cast iron is. I broke the whole ear that holds the bearing cup clean off. After almost having a good cry I decided to ask the combined intellect of the Creek if: 1) What do you think about having it welded by a good welding shop? Would this warp it and cause alignment problems? And 2) If welding is not an option, does anyone have or know someone who would have a replacement arbor bracket? The saw is a right tilt late seventies model. Any help or advice would be very appreciated. :eek:

David DeCristoforo
03-28-2008, 8:00 PM
Check this diagram:

http://www.sawcenter.com/unipart1.htm

Are you referring to part # 113 on the diagram?

If so, i would think a new bracket would be in order. CI can be braised but the heat could distort the casting... I would be nervous....

YM

PS Sorry to hear of your "mishap".... ouch!

Chris Padilla
03-28-2008, 8:02 PM
Forget about welding cast iron: very very difficult and no welder worth his weight woud guarantee the work nor should you trust it.

Replacement part is your best bet.

Edit: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/metal/msg0922303621319.html I guess if done carefully, cast iron can be welded but I just don't know that I'd trust the repair or that the welder knows his stuff.

Rick Lizek
03-28-2008, 8:04 PM
Get a new one. Parts are typically cheaper direct from Delta as opposed to secondary parts sources.

Jim Thiel
03-28-2008, 9:35 PM
I agree with the "buy a replacement" crowd. I see a bunch of whirling unhappiness staring at you if it should let go in use.

Jim

Tom Henderson2
03-28-2008, 9:39 PM
I agree with the "buy a replacement" crowd. I see a bunch of whirling unhappiness staring at you if it should let go in use.

Jim

Ditto. And take it to a reputable electric motor repair shop and have them press the bearings on and off.

Some shops will do that while you wait for free, others may charge whatever their minimum fee is.

You might consider having them put new bearings in your motor, too.

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Pete Bradley
03-28-2008, 9:47 PM
Not sure what you did, but the arbor bearing is a press fit on the shaft, slip fit in the yoke. There is a shoulder in each ear so the bearings go in and come out on opposite sides. If you had to apply that much pressure, you were probably pushing it the wrong way.

As others have suggested, chalk it up to experience and buy a replacement. If you want to really simplify, Sawcenter in Massachusetts will sell you a whole assembly with bearings and arbor installed.

Pete

Pete

David DeCristoforo
03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
"I guess if done carefully, cast iron can be welded but I just don't know..."

It's not just the weld. I would also be worried about the precise alignment of the welded pieces. Any distortion or mis-alignment at all and that's going to be one jumpy saw!

YM

Jim McCarty
03-29-2008, 2:12 AM
Thanks to all who responded. I took the advice to replace and that's what I'm going to do. I just ordered a new bracket from Mike's Tools in Santa Ana, Ca. I can pick it up on my way home from one of my jobs. The complete bracket and arbor would be a good deal if I hadn't just bought the bearings and a new arbor. My arbor was so rounded after over 30 years of use, that it was impossible to get a blade wrench to stay on it. The idea of new bearings in the motor is a very good one. I'll look into that next week. Again, thanks for all the advice and insight. This is one great group of people. God Bless.