PDA

View Full Version : Problem With My Dodge Dakota [FIXED...So Far]

Lance Norris
03-28-2008, 7:10 PM
I have a problem with my lumber hauler. Its an 87 Dodge Dakota with 52,000 miles. I bought it from my father who bought it new. It has an ignition problem. When it starts, it runs perfectly smooth with lots of power. It will run for several minutes and then just shut off, like you turned the key. Then it wont restart. It will crank, but wont start. Now when it starts, it runs for 30 seconds and shuts off. It has a new coil and all tune up parts. Like I said, when it runs, it runs perfectly. When it wont start, it has no secondary voltage at the coil. It has 12v at the coil. Ive narrowed it down to the Hall Effect pick up or the computer. It has a simple spark control computer. I know that the Hall Effect pick-up is cheaper than the computer, so thats where Ill go first, and thankfully I can get the computer, and its not too expensive $110. Anybody have any thoughts?

David G Baker
03-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Possible fuel pump problem?

Tom Pritchard
03-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Lance, which coil did you replace, the ignition coil or the magnetic pickup coil?

There is a pick up coil inside the distributor. It is plastic and sometimes prone to give an intermittent failure. One way to pinpoint it would be to try tapping on the base of the distributor lightly once the engine is warmed up and running and see if that shuts the engine off. If it does, then you need a pick up coil. Autozone has them for about $24.

Nice truck BTW!!!

Lance Norris
03-29-2008, 12:07 AM
Well... Ill say no because when it stalls there is no spark. The coil has 12 volts, but there is no high voltage coming from the center lead from the coil. The coil is new and the old coil did the same thing, same symptom.

Lance Norris
03-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Tom... the ignition coil is the one Ive replaced. The pick up coil you refer to is what they call the Hall Effect pick up coil. The guys at my local, good, expensive, parts house say that this pick up coil fails regularly. Since Im down to this coil, the computer, or possibly the ignition switch(as a last resort), the cheapest fix is the pick up coil. Thanks... I like it too. How about that fiberglass tonneau cover? They are almost non-existant for this body Dakota.

David Sallee
03-29-2008, 9:18 AM
Hall effect sensor (pickup coil) .... should fix it...

Dave

EX-mechanic :rolleyes:

Tom Pritchard
03-29-2008, 9:22 AM
Tom... the ignition coil is the one Ive replaced. The pick up coil you refer to is what they call the Hall Effect pick up coil. The guys at my local, good, expensive, parts house say that this pick up coil fails regularly. Since Im down to this coil, the computer, or possibly the ignition switch(as a last resort), the cheapest fix is the pick up coil. Thanks... I like it too. How about that fiberglass tonneau cover? They are almost non-existant for this body Dakota.

Lance, the cap caught my eye right away! My son had a 1994 Dakota that had an aluminum cap on it when he got it from my Dad. He ended up putting a tonneau cover on it because he couldn't find a fiberglass cap.

I had a 1988 Dodge van that the magnetic pickup coil went on. The shop replaced the fuel pump (very expensive), and on the way home from the shop the van quit again! I then talked with an old Mopar mechanic who quietly laughed, and told me about the magnetic pickup coil and how they fail frequently. $30.00 and a couple hours later and the problem was gone forever! Good luck, and keep us posted on how you make out. Here's a picture of my current Mopar!

Lance Norris
03-29-2008, 3:31 PM
Well... after replacing the Pick-up coil in the distributor, so far, so good. I drove the truck about 20 miles back and forth around my house, never going more than a couple blocks away, in case I had a problem, and running great. So I ventured away from home about 10 miles and all was fine. So I will continue to drive it with my tool box in the back and my cell phone charged for a while and see how things go. Maybe by Friday, I will take a trip to the lumber yard(30 miles). Thanks guys for the comments, and you were right on target.

David Sallee
03-30-2008, 12:29 AM
glad to see you got'er going Lance... ;)

Nice truck BTW... :)

Dave

Randal Stevenson
03-30-2008, 1:11 AM
While it is a nice truck, and low miles for that year, too bad it isn't the rare (now) convertible.

Keep her going!

Lance Norris
03-30-2008, 4:02 AM
Randal, they made a few other Dakotas that are just as rare as the convertible. The first year for the Dakota was '87 and it was the official pace truck for the Indianapolis 500. I dont know if it was the pace car, or just an officials vehicle, but there were 500 made(I think 500)with all the decals and such. I dont know too much about that one. There were also 1500 or so Shelby Dakotas made with a 318 or 360 v8 Shelby graphics and body panels. 1989 for sure, and maybe 1990.