PDA

View Full Version : 18 century jewelry chest

Barry Bruner
03-28-2008, 6:00 PM
I looked at Ben Hobbs, Don Harris and Michael King`s spice chest and tried to down size the mixture a bit. I came up with a 17 x 13 x 9 jewelry box. I have not been in the mood to start on the drawers yet but I do like the way the toombstone door turned out. I made it for three drawers and it would look better if I had made it for four. Barry Bruner

Bill Wyko
03-28-2008, 6:12 PM
Beautiful Box. Nice style and great grain on the front door. I look forward to seeing the drawers.

Robert Meyer
03-28-2008, 6:34 PM
Very nice work. What did you use for the finish? Let's see more pictures when it's done.

Michael Handrinos
03-28-2008, 7:53 PM
Hey Barry.

Very nice work indeed. That is one of the projects I have in mind to build. I especially like the tombstone doors. My favorite door treatment.

How hard was it to build? Did you make a scaled drawing and what about the routing?

Thanks

Mike

gary Zimmel
03-28-2008, 8:03 PM
Barry

Great job on the jewelry box. I like the design.

Jason Godfrey
03-28-2008, 8:07 PM
Very nice.

I'm just starting into woodworking (taking a class where we are building a mantle clock.) I'm thinking my next project will be a jewelry box for my wife. But nothing as fancy as yours. (I hope to be good enough to do something like that some day.)

Barry Bruner
03-28-2008, 8:51 PM
Michael, it was not that hard to do. I drew it up on the back of a calendar. I used a slot cutting bit and a 3/8 " round over bit. The door width is 10 1/4 inches and the height of the door is 12 inches. The stiles are 1 3/4 inches and top rail is 3 5/8 inches and the bottom one is also 1 3/4 inches. I cut a pattern out of 1/4 " plywood for the panel and made about 4 light passes over the panel raising. You have to do a little chisel work in the corners. It turned out OK the first try. I am going to make one the same size with 4 drawers and no door and see how that looks but I better finish this one first. I only have one coat of stain and two coats of sanding sealer on it and I am trying to decide what kind of finish I should put on it. Barry Bruner

P.S. I thank everyone for your replies.

Michael King
03-28-2008, 8:52 PM
Great job Barry!
I love the tombstone doors and the bracket feet.
Beautiful. Please post pics when you get the drawers done.
Mike

Jim Becker
03-28-2008, 8:54 PM
Beautiful work, Barry!

Jim Dunn
03-28-2008, 9:22 PM
That door looks like glass it's so nicely done. Real nice job all around.

Art Travers
03-29-2008, 9:31 PM
Nice work on the door .., it would seem that you did the plan
backwards!! I did the spice chest some 5 years ago in cherry and it looked
so good with the drawers showing that I never completed the door.
Plan was from a old woodworking magazine and also FWW just recently had
an article on the same plan. Trying to download photo, but it seems that
it will not...

J. Z. Guest
03-29-2008, 9:34 PM
Very nice Barry! I can't believe the mad skillz lots of folks at SMC have!

Barry Bruner
03-30-2008, 2:00 PM
Art, if I could make drawers that good I might not have put a door on mine either. Some of my dovetails look like I made them with a hatchet. What is the thickness on your drawer fronts? I ordered enough hardware to make three and I never make two of anything alike. One good thing about making something this size is I can use all the mistake wood from other projects. Thanks for the pics. Barry Bruner

P.S. Jemery, I had to quit woodworking during the week because I could not go to sleep. I see some of the projects posted here and I can not wait to ask how they did it and get started.

jason lambert
03-30-2008, 2:41 PM
Nice job I also really line the door. Adds some intrest.

Art Travers
03-31-2008, 6:54 PM
The drawer fronts were essentially 3/4" and all dovetailed.. I purchased a woodhaven
for the dovetails ...and they did come out well, but the amount of the setup time for all
the drawers drove me up the wall. Never used the jig again. Just for info my plan
also had a secret draw which is accessed through the back by sliding the masonite
back down..

Robert LaPlaca
03-31-2008, 8:57 PM
Barry, very nice work.. Love the crotch walnut on the toomstone doors..