PDA

View Full Version : Best price on the 3520B

jason lambert
03-28-2008, 5:29 PM
You don't need to tell me where, if you do that is nice. I was just wondering what I should pay for the powermatic 3520b.
Also what accessories should I get with it?

Tim Thomas
03-28-2008, 5:58 PM
Scott Hubl just bought one and has a long thread about it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=79765

Post #25 in that thread details all the stuff he bought and exactly what he paid. Looks like he was very pleased with the service and price he got from Tool Nut.

(I don't even have a lathe, I just surf these threads a lot more than is healthy...)

Bill Wyko
03-28-2008, 6:11 PM
Arm & A leg:D

Scott Hubl
03-28-2008, 6:20 PM
As posted you can read my threads about my RECENT 3520B purchase.

Get the BEST price you can get, THEN call ToolNut, But CALL them don't email them for a price.

THEN once you have their BEST price call back the other places IF you can get someone else to go lower CALL ToolNut back with THAT price and they will beat it.
I compared my prices for the EXACT same thing with each place.

They beat Osolnik by over $120.00, Osolnik just told me if I could get it for that price I better go get it. So I did just that.

My transaction went as smooth as silk. The truck had the liftgate and did't play any games trying to get me to pick it up at the terminal, they just called me to set up the best time for me, to deliver it.:D

David Walser
03-28-2008, 6:29 PM
Jason,

With any expensive machine, it's nice to have someone motivated to provide you with any service that might be needed. If you have a local Powermatic dealer, see what kind of deal you can make through him or her. If they are willing to deliver and set up the lathe for you, that's worth some real money (only you can decide how much).

Just another thing to consider. Isn't thinking about getting the thing half the fun?

jason lambert
03-28-2008, 6:33 PM
I have a dealer I normally work with that is local. I will most likely buy off of him but I don't like to do things blind eithor especally since he doesn't stock it. So I want some idea when I walk in with cash to get it. I alwas give my local guy first shot and try to be loyal, but have also got screwed a bunch in the past, not by this guy but by others. You need to be trusting but not to trusting.

He did try to sell me a general he has on the floor for about 2k but didn't look as nice as the powermatic.

Scott Hubl
03-28-2008, 7:06 PM
Jason,
I too tried giving my Local Woodcraft a shot at selling me my 3520B and I buy ALOT of woodworking tools from them.

But they could'nt even get close, they quoated me $400.00 more, I got free delivery and free liftgate with free residential.

I like giving local support but not at a $400.00 cost to me, if it was a $75.00 difference, they would have had my sale.

But since they could not compete at all, I had to go for the BEST price I could get.

Since it matterd not to me who I bought it from at that point, as long as they were reliable. ToolNut has a Brick&Mortar store also.

Kurt Bird
03-28-2008, 9:22 PM
I shopped alot, just like Scott, but I bought mine from Joe Osolnik. I liked his heritage, and after I talked with him, I liked it better. It felt comfortable, and I felt I could trust him. Scott bought his from Tool Nut, and apparently they did alright by him. There is a listing on eBay right now for a brand new, with free freight for $2599. They are a wholesaler, so you better know what you want when you talk with them. If you have questions, or need some answers about what you want, call Joe. He can answer them about this machine - all of them! Scott knew what he wanted and wanted the best price. If you're not sure, and need some answers, $120 is a small price to pay from someone you are confident he knows the answers. It's all in what you want!
Kurt

Ken Glass
03-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Jason,
I bought my Mustard Monster 3520B, in late Feb. this year, and paid $2200.00, plus there is a $100 rebate until 4-30-08. I am in Central IL. Email me for more details if you wish to. I went with my local dealer so as to get local service if needed. He was very competitive , and when I showed him I was a serious buyer, and not just shopping him like a car salesman, he was very agreeable. The 3520b comes with a high quality live center, 3" face plate, drive spur, and a comparator feature, so you can start turning quickly, before you have to buy other accessories. I am extremely satisfied!

Paul Gallian
03-28-2008, 10:52 PM
I purchased mine for WAY over the prices I have seen on this tread...
But free delivery, tailgate lift to my shop, with 3 days from date ordered to my door and the $100 rebate made me feel better.

Of course I do not have a working lathe yet -- 2 inverters and 2 motors and now waiting for a replacement lathe.. People keep on talking about the WONDERFUL service from WMH (powermatic) but this is not my opinion about them. Terrible service with many little untruths.. They never call back when messages are left... I would never recommend anything from WMH --

People keep bad mouthing China made rip-offs -- please find out where WMS makes their tools...

Alex Cam
03-29-2008, 8:23 AM
Manufacturing quality has little to do with where the product is made. It has everything to do with the specifications and requirements that the contracting company places on it's sub, and the manner in which they hold them to those requirements.

Hilel Salomon
03-29-2008, 9:34 AM
Jason,

I bought mine from a local dealer-Mann Tool and Supply. He came close to matching the best deals available during the Louisville AAW show, and it was worth it to me . You have to decide on whether or not it might be worth a little more to buy from someone local. I have no argument with those who would rather pay less, but I like the fact that I can take something to the folks who sold it to me and have it fixed or fine tuned. I also don't want my local dealer to be submerged by internet and mail order competition.
Good luck, Hilel.