PDA

View Full Version : HF #17, Critique Please

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2008, 3:27 PM
Well, I am almost finished with all the spalted birch I roughed out last fall. That spalting sure made for some pretty wood!

I believe that tastes in design and form change as you gain experience. At this point in my turning education I am very happy with the shape of this latest hollow form but there is always room for improvement. For that reason, I am requesting your critique as to the form, finish, photography, etc.

Spalted white birch, 8” diameter X 4 ½” high X no more than 3/16” thick. Sanded to 400 grit and has a couple coats of thinned Minwax Gloss Poly. Will wait for a few days for the finish to dry before buffing.

85159 85160 85161 85162 85163

Once again, please excuse the excess of photos but I thought it would help if you could see all the way around the form.

As always, I appreciate your comments.

Thanks for looking!

Benjamin Dahl
03-28-2008, 3:32 PM
Steve, I have really enjoyed seeing your series of HF. I think this one is great and find the form, finish and photography are excellent.
Thanks for sharing,
Ben

Ron Bontz
03-28-2008, 4:05 PM
Hi Steve. Two quick questions. I really like the birch but was wondering how you cut the tree? I know very little about this type of turning so please bear with me. I actually have a 90Ft. white oak that fell last spring to be cut up this summer. I was also curious how you held this in the lathe, Type of chuck etc. Thanks.:)

Tom Sherman
03-28-2008, 4:33 PM
I like it Steve, sounds like you may have to try some different wood. Keep em coming.

David Walser
03-28-2008, 5:04 PM
Steve,

It's a very nice piece; one I'd be proud to display in my home or office. The only suggestion I have is to consider some type of embellishment -- a small bead or a few burn lines, perhaps -- to better define the rim. The wood is spectacular, with a lot going on, until just before the opening. It just seems that some sort of "collar" would better balance the piece visually.

Brian McInturff
03-28-2008, 6:39 PM
Personally Steve, I found HF 16 more pleasing in form(probably the best I've seen). But you know me, I'm usually different than everyone else as far as taste goes. Once it's buffed I bet it will really show that spalting off. I also like the thin walls. I think HF's need thin walls when possible. And lastly, where do you find the time?

Ben Gastfriend
03-28-2008, 6:43 PM
Its beautiful! Amazing. I like the form on the previous one a little better, but this is A+ work, Steve. Great wood, great photos, great work as always.

Richard Madison
03-28-2008, 8:30 PM
Steve,
Great photos and great piece. I really like the little flare up at the top. It is just enough.

Am seeing just a little "reflection" area above the wide point, but have no idea what to say about it. It is a whole world better than mine. Would like to see photo of your lighting set up.

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Steve that is another beautiful piece. Well done.

Curt Fuller
03-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I like everything about #17, including all the photos. On that type form, nearly twice as wide as tall, it can be tough to keep the curves flowing without getting any flat spots. But it looks like you've pulled it off perfectly. That's some beautiful wood and your usual excellent finish.

Frank Triana
03-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Thats fantastic, a work of art. Thanks for all the pictures. They give much more of the beauty. Hope it will give everyone as much pleasure and satisfaction for years to come. CONGRATZ

Jim Becker
03-29-2008, 9:40 AM
Steve, this is a very good piece...I downloaded one of the pics and played with it so I could remove all the "wood" and just see the form and have to say it's spot-on.

I respectfully disagree with David, however...this southwestern form would not be compatible with a collar. If the wood was very plain, pyrography embellishments would be an interesting way to go, but not with the figured material you chose for this particular piece. I think it would be distracting. IMHO, of course...and you know how much you paid for it!

Allen Neighbors
03-29-2008, 2:13 PM
Can't critique perfection! :D