PDA

View Full Version : Design help needed. ENd tables

Danny Knafo
03-24-2004, 1:22 PM
Hi guys,

I am about to embark on a new project and need some help.

I am going to build some end tables that match an existing coffee table . This will be made out of Hon Mahogany.

My first question is how are end tables useually scaled? The coffee table is 30"x52". The frame around are 2.5" wide and 1.5" thick. Legs are 2 " square.

I decided that I would like the end tables to be 21" square and 23" tall. Should I scale down the width of legs and frame?

How would you build the top? from what I can see, the panel on the original coffee table sits in a rabbit and then is coverd by hardboard that sits in a wider rabbit which I assume is glued on. Is there a better way?

now my final question in this way to long post are the legs. In the original it is attached to the top by a metal plate which is first screwed into the leg and then screwed into the top. wouldn't this cause problems with wood movements? How about dowels going 1/2 into the top.

Thank you for reading this far.

Pictures of the Coffee table can be viewed through the links below.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albuq67

Todd Burch
03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Danny, welcome to SMC!!

I've looked at your pictures and studied your post. You could get by with making the top edging and the legs the same thickness/widths, and noone will be the wiser or probably give it a second though, however, I would think that scaling the pieces to 75% (3/4) or 67% (2/3), you would still be OK. Scaling these elements down will certainly change the look of the end tables from the coffee table, but I don't think in a bad way.

I would build the top just like a picture frame, with the veneered panel being the "picture." What you could do is build the legs and lower shelf assembly, then screw on the plywood top to the top of the legs (from above) and then add your "frame", covering the screws. This would be sufficient in strength. If you wanted stronger, you could use a 3/4" MDF or plywood substrate, and glue/lag bolt it into the tops of the legs, then place your veneered panel on top of that, then your frame on top of that.

Todd