PDA

View Full Version : How to mount Jet Impeller for Cyclone

Ken Harrod
03-28-2008, 8:42 AM
I am looking into building my own Cyclone from Bill Pentz's plans. The Jet Impeller is MUCH cheaper than the Clear Vue one he now recommends. The issue is an arbor to mount the Jet Impeller.

Does anyone have a good picture or drawing of the arbor to mount the Jet Impeller (#431006)?

I downloaded a PDF from JET that showed mounting that impeller on one of their DC's, and it looked like it just had a key in the shaft and the end of the motor was threaded with a bolt put down the center.

I was thinking something like this would work. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1A015

Or maybe something like this. http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=9947K19

I cannot find a good drawing of the Jet Impeller to see the layout of the mounting holes, bolt circle diameter etc..

The split taper bushing looks similar to the "arbor" he had custom made, with the exception it has a slot in there and "clamps" onto the shaft, vice the set screw that merely poked into the side of the shaft.

Any comments?

Ken

Tom Veatch
03-28-2008, 11:16 AM
First, I really can't help you with your direct question about mounting the Jet impeller.

Second, it may be a case of getting what you pay for. A quick look on the Jet site didn't turn up an impeller with the 431006 number but I didn't search the parts lists of all their DCs. The delivered cost for the 14" impeller (JC3-105) used in their 3HP cyclone was about $50 less than the 15" impeller from ClearVue (CV). The CV impeller includes the mounting hardware. You could eat that difference pretty quickly if you have to have attaching hardware custom machined.

I will say that the 16" CV impeller I used on my Pentz kit-built cyclone w/ 5HP Leeson motor installed very easily and has performed admirably.

(I have no relationship with CV other than as a well-satisfied customer)

PM me if you think you might be interested in a 2HP airfoil blower wheel from Sheldons Engineering (http://www.sheldonsengineering.com/BillPUS.html).

Ken Harrod
03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Here's a link. http://woodworking.jettools.com/Parts.aspx?part=431006

It's only $70. Compared to $200 for the CV impeller, I think it is hard to beat. I just have no idea what the arbor looks like that is used to hold the impeller in place.

I have seen split collars that I think would work for about $10.

Ken

Larry Richardson
03-28-2008, 1:15 PM
Ken -
What motor are you using on this? I am in the planning stages of a DC and thinking about building my own cyclone.

Ken Harrod
03-28-2008, 1:27 PM
Ken -
What motor are you using on this? I am in the planning stages of a DC and thinking about building my own cyclone.

I have an Emerson (American made) 5hp compressor motor. It has a service factor of 1.15 and a 7/8" shaft. It does not have a C-Frame mount to it, though. That was the only thing I did not like, but it should be easy enough to mount with the type of mount is has.

I had gotten the motor from an Ebay auction last year. I think it was about $100.

I have seen this same brand motor on Cambell-Hausfield and Kobald compressors.

I have never used the motor, so I don't have any opinions on it yet.

Tom Veatch
03-28-2008, 6:14 PM
It's only $70.

It'd be interesting to know the difference between the impeller used on a 3HP cyclone at ~$150 and the one used on a 3HP single stage DC at ~$70. That seems like too much price diffenential between two impellers that are supposedly designed to absorb the same power. Got to wonder what the difference is.

Ken Harrod
03-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I had not checked into their other impellers. I looked up that part number based on the web pages from Bill Pentz.

Surprising that the two impellers are that much different in price.

I would think the standard DC impeller would be made "tougher" since it will take direct hits from the wood chips and the cyclone would (ideally) drop out all the heavier pieces in the dust can at the bottom of the cyclone. And since that one is "tougher", then I would expect that one to me more expensive.

Great! More questions now...