PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation on etched tiles?

lucas kreft
03-28-2008, 12:40 AM
I was just thinking that color sublimation may work on etched surfaces?

save the color image you want etched...
print that image with the sublimation ink on transfer paper...
etch the image...
combine the 2....

now you have a color etched image

Has anyone tried that.. it is an easier way than paying 5000 for atomic art...

Mike Null
03-28-2008, 4:55 AM
Lucas

Dye sublimation and laser sublimation, for that matter, require 4 thing besides the printer, toner/ink and transfer paper.

1. A receptive substrate either polymer or polymerized.
2. Heat, 350 to 400 degrees F. depending on process.
3. Pressure-normally in the 40 - 60 psi range.
4. Time--sufficient for the substrate to be heated to the transfer temperature required.

There are some color options with Cermark but generally not applicable to artistic imaging.

Cary Fleming
03-28-2008, 10:41 AM
The only problem I forsee is that dye sublimation on tiles requires coating on the tiles to accept the sublimation. Etching the tile before sublimating would remove the coating from the tile and therefore the image wouldn't transfer to the etched areas.

lucas kreft
03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I was looking at the heat press, and different printers that could print 24"x24". Couldn't you put the coating on the etched tile before you apply the transfer paper then the press?

Mike Null
03-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Lucas

Dye sublimation works beautifully on coated tile just leave the laser out of the equation.

Cary Fleming
03-28-2008, 12:08 PM
I was looking at the heat press, and different printers that could print 24"x24". Couldn't you put the coating on the etched tile before you apply the transfer paper then the press?

You buy the tiles with the coating already on them. I haven't seen anyone selling just the coating, but I'm sure somebody does. You might want to investigate the work involved in adding your own coating to an existing tile.

John Frazee
03-29-2008, 1:24 PM
For sublimation answers, the best place to go is dyesub.org. It is a very good forum with years worth of posts.

To answer the question as to coating your own tiles etc, you don't want to! There are suppliers that sell the coating. It has to be baked on and the fumes are toxic. It is not worth the hassle.

I have sublimated name tags with full color and then put them in the laser and lasered names. I could have subbed the names as well but for that "different" look, I tried it and it worked. You should be able to do the same with the sheetstock used for sublimation. What I used was the FRP.

Dan Starr
04-06-2008, 10:18 PM
To answer your question Lucis, yes you can. Here is a link to a post with a picture of a piece I did.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61409

Mike Null
04-07-2008, 5:05 AM
Dan

That link shows little except a picture.

More than 6 months ago you said you were 95% finished with the development and you would share more information when completed.

Now you say unequivocally that there is a process which indicates you are finished.

If you have a process why don't you elaborate on it?

Mike Hood
04-07-2008, 10:38 PM
It's had to catch those colorful frogs this time of year... :D