PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Pen Turning

Steve Mellott
03-27-2008, 8:37 PM
I'd like to turn some pens and have found a number of internet sites that sell pen turning tools and kits. Is there any vendor or brand name that stands out from a quality perspective for:

1. Pen tools such as mandrels, assembly presses, tube insertion tools, etc.
2. Pen kits.

I'd hate to order something and find that it didn't work that well. Thanks.

Steve

Ben Gastfriend
03-27-2008, 8:58 PM
I get my stuff from Penn State Industries (pennstateind.com (http://sawmillcreek.org/pennstateind.com)), and haven't have a problem with anything yet, but some people have.

Alot of others will say Craft Supplies USA (woodturnerscatalog.com (http://sawmillcreek.org/woodturnerscatalog.com)), and I have ordered from them, and their products and customer service is amazing.

Another to consider is Berea Hardwoods (bereahardwoods.com (http://sawmillcreek.org/bereahardwoods.com)).

Good luck!

robert hainstock
03-27-2008, 9:33 PM
I have used everal vendors kirs, and haven't had any major problems yet. I have found as I'm sure others will tell you, that woodturnerz.com sells anything in the PSI catalog at a discount that will certainly pay for any shipping. :)
Bob

Dennis Peacock
03-27-2008, 9:45 PM
I've used Berea Hardwoods and Craft Supplies. The kits are great and the service is spot on.

David Wilhelm
03-27-2008, 9:55 PM
Steve you pretty much get what you pay for with mandrels. I have got the cheap ones from woodcraft and I turn my cheaper pens on them no issues. I use Hut's top of the line mandrel for my other pens. I prefer woodcrafts press and drilling jig. Kits.......Same goes there you get what you pay for. I've had a few issues but we are talking out of 100s of pens at 1.70 so no biggie. tools. I either made my own or used something i already had. I use the end Mill from woodcraft as well and i keep mine sharp.

Nathan Camp
03-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Steve,

There is a Rockler and a Woodcraft store in Atlanta. Both carry a lot of pen supplies. Just about everyone at the Rockler store turn pens. I've found them to be a great resource for questions and advice. Several turners at the Woodcraft as well, but the Rockler guys seem to be into it more.

Probably worth a trip up to check them out. It's a good place to get the basic supplies, and then once you know what you will need, it's easy to upgrade.

nathan

Ray Phillips
03-28-2008, 8:49 AM
I have used everal vendors kirs, and haven't had any major problems yet. I have found as I'm sure others will tell you, that woodturnerz.com sells anything in the PSI catalog at a discount that will certainly pay for any shipping. :)
Bob
The web site is woodturningz.com

Daniel Heine
03-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Steve,

I have bought supplies from almost all of the major vendors. I have found that the Berea kits, and the ones sold by Craft Supplies USA are the best quality. Arizona Silhoutte sells Berea kits, including two called the Baron and the Sedona that you cannot buy anywhere else. Thye have the best prices, and the service is excellent. I have also found that Bear Tooth Woods also provides outstanding service, and sells the Berea kits. Finally, if you have a Woodcraft store near by, their kits are also made by Berea, and are very fairly priced. The only drawback is that they do not offer the array of platings there.

For tube insertion tools, youi can make your own from a piece of scrapwood on your lathe!!

Check out the Arizona Silhoutte web site. There is more information there than you can use for a long time. Also, take a look at penturners.org.

Good Luck,
Dan Heine

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I use Bear Tooth Woods most of the time. I have found Ernie excellent to deal with. He sells Berea pens and has lots of blanks.

Steve Mellott
03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks very much for all your responses!

Greg Ketell
03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
If you want to make pens that are truly round, skip mandrels all together. Buy high quality bushings from the user johnnycnc from International Association of Penturners, 60 degree live center and a 60 degree dead center and turn between centers with no mandrel. People who have done both swear by Johnny's bushings and between center turning for achieving perfect pens.

Top quality kits can be had from many places but the key is the finish applied. You want Titanium Gold, Platinum/Rhodium, etc. Any of the "upgrade gold" or "satin" finishes wear off quickly. Craft Supplies USA actually has a nice discussion on platings including "hardness" indicators.

Many companies make similar designs, for example Penn State Industries and Berea both make "Cigar pens". People who have done both say the Berea is much better quality. Berea is sold through Craft Suppies and Arizona Silhouette. Both CS and AZ have a few pen styles that are unique to them that are really nice. Avoid the Churchill's, they tend to break off at the threads. Too much unsupported plastic.

Good Turning!