PDA

View Full Version : My Excell-1 vacuum press in action and a Domino box

Bill Wyko
03-27-2008, 7:23 PM
I've been using this vacuum press for a couple weeks now and all I can say how did I ever live without it. Bag it, Vac it, hang it on the wall....do something else for a while. In addition I needed a little shelf for my vacuum press motor so I threw this together in a little less than an hour. Nothing special just an example of how quick the domino can make a job. The vac, bag and shipping was right at 400 bucks. Money very well spent. Thanks to those of you that suggested Joe Woodworker for this device.

Cary Swoveland
03-27-2008, 10:13 PM
I've been using this vacuum press for a couple weeks now and all I can say how did I ever live without it. Bag it, Vac it, hang it on the wall....do something else for a while. In addition I needed a little shelf for my vacuum press motor so I threw this together in a little less than an hour. Nothing special just an example of how quick the domino can make a job. The vac, bag and shipping was right at 400 bucks. Money very well spent. Thanks to those of you that suggested Joe Woodworker for this device.

Bill, it never occurred to me to hang a vacuum bag on a wall (provided the weight of the contents is not too great). That certainly is a space-saver. Now you're going to have to make some clever vacuum clamps, a vacuum chuck,...

Cary

Steve Rozmiarek
03-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Vacuum rocks! Good idea with the wall hangers. Really is no better way to veneer or form IMHO.

Bill Wyko
03-28-2008, 1:25 AM
Vacuum rocks! Good idea with the wall hangers. Really is no better way to veneer or form IMHO.
I have to agree. I used to use contact cement. Over time I've had it buckle up and turn into a disaster. This also makes using home made veneer a breeze. Probably in my top 5 best buys for the money. I'm using it to do small stuff right now and I did some larger pieces last week. Either way works great. This set up was on sale for around 100 bucks off. Might still be. I googled excell-1 to find it. BTW spend the extra for the better bag. The dry glue literally falls off of it.

Larry Fox
03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Looks good Bill. That hanging idea is what I call a forehead-smacker for me - of course, that is brilliant and why didn't I think of that. I typically use my tablesaw and outfeed table which means that I can't use it when pressing. Thanks for the idea.

Joe and his site are fantastic - I emailed him last night on something unrelated last night at around midnight and a reply was waiting for me at 9:00am this morning.

Now for the big question. So Bill .... what's in the bag, what goodies do you have in store for us next? :)

Nathan Conner
03-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Now for the big question. So Bill .... what's in the bag, what goodies do you have in store for us next? :)

I used my "CSI Magic Computer Enhancer", and it's nothing spectacular. It's issues 71 and 77 of FWW magazine, two rags, and part of a frog.

Bill Wyko
03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Looks good Bill. That hanging idea is what I call a forehead-smacker for me - of course, that is brilliant and why didn't I think of that. I typically use my tablesaw and outfeed table which means that I can't use it when pressing. Thanks for the idea.

Joe and his site are fantastic - I emailed him last night on something unrelated last night at around midnight and a reply was waiting for me at 9:00am this morning.

Well, here's the results of what is in the bag. It'll be a segment in an up comming turning. I think I'm going to call it "I'm Busy" Each of these segments has 60 pieces X 9 segments. I'll be posting more in the turners forum. Please excuse the slight misalignment. This one was practice.

Larry Fox
03-28-2008, 1:19 PM
Please excuse the slight misalignment.

Nice!

Misalignment is such a pejorative these days. I prefer intentional use of a nontraditional design element intended to direct the user's attention when describing these types of things in my work. :)