PDA

View Full Version : Cork- really nice deep black colour when burned

Darren Null
03-27-2008, 3:26 PM
...I haven't managed to cut it yet though. I always set light to it first. I also have a bit of cork that I personalised and use as a mousemat. The grain is great for the laser-guided mice. Accurate. My mousemat is too grubby to post a photo of though because I didn't bother sealing it at the time.

Personalised bulletin boards:

Dan Hintz
03-27-2008, 3:30 PM
How does it hold up to rubbing/sticking pins in it?

Darren Null
03-27-2008, 3:50 PM
Rubbing- really well. Like I say, I've been using an unsealed bit for a mousemat. That's been seriously rubbed and the burning is still sharp and black.
I've not done an extended test on using one as a noticeboard, but I did stick a couple of pins in the one photographed and it came out OK. I should think the image will still be sharp, even under quite heavy use. Cork seems to spring back well when you take the pin out.

Jim Watkins
03-27-2008, 9:51 PM
I got some cork place mats at IKEA for cheap and cut right through it. I also photograv'd some pictures on them and they not only turned out well, they seem to be lasting. I make coasters out of them and the one at my office for my coffee cup has not lost it's color. This weekend, I will turn on my PC for my laser and post the settings. The cork takes photograved images very well.

The one with my kids is the one on my desk at work. Keep in mind that the pictures don't show as good as they look for real.

Jim

By the way, these are six or more months old...

Bill Cunningham
03-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Yup Cork is very nice to work with... I think on this one, I just sprayed a thin coat of clear lacquer to seal it

Frank Corker
03-28-2008, 7:28 AM
That's nice Bill - good subject too makes it really very striking!

Regarding the cork matting stuff, which is made up of crushed cork mixed with adhesive, it is a devil to cut cleanly/consistently with laser. The last time I tried I was gutted with the result, I would have been better using a thermal lance.

Darren Null
03-28-2008, 1:17 PM
I've given up cutting with the laser. I just burn a line to follow with scissors.

Don Necaise
03-28-2008, 6:00 PM
when processing in photograv What material are yall choosing in the material type?

thanks don necaise

Jerry Hay
03-28-2008, 6:56 PM
Here are some coasters I made for me and a friend of mine.

Dave West
03-28-2008, 10:29 PM
More coasters. Engraves really nice, but when trying to cut it just burned.

Dave

Thad Nickoley
03-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Don,

as far as photograve the cherry setting will work.

Arturo Villegas
03-29-2008, 5:11 AM
By any chance were is a good source to get cork from? Are some precut?

Anthony Welch
03-29-2008, 8:41 AM
I found the same coaster set that Dave West is showing at Wally-World for about $6 bucks for the set. And they do engrave nicely also.

Darren Null
03-29-2008, 11:58 AM
By any chance were is a good source to get cork from? Are some precut?
If you're just after the raw stuff, bathroom fitting/decoration shops usually have a big roll available cheaply. Our local paint shop sells it for €3/metre squared (I'm in Spain- you'll get imperial sizes and pay in $, but the principle is the same).

Bill Parker
03-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Don,

as far as photograve the cherry setting will work.

I keep seeing this on different post will someone please explain what the "cherry setting" is?:confused:

Belinda Barfield
03-29-2008, 1:10 PM
In Photograve there are "factory settings" for some materials such as granite, cherry, etc. You can select the material to be engraved and take some of the guess work out of the process.