PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Construction, Runners and Dividers

Brian Green
03-24-2004, 6:23 AM
I'm in the process of making 2 shaker style side tables. The tables are done and I've got questions about the drawer and the inside rail system. The plan is to install the doublers and kicker/runners. But my concern is how the wood on wood contact of the drawer sliding in and out will effect the bottom divider. I don't want the lower divider to develop "grooves" from the drawer sides.

What are your opinions on how you handles this. Do you install the lower runner slightly above the lower divider? Do you install those "plastic glide right angle" things on the lower divider (I wish not to)? I've seen on some older pieces what looks like thumb tacks push into the lower divider which the drawer sides ride on.

BTW, the tables are made from cherry and the drawers will be made from ash.

Donnie Raines
03-24-2004, 8:38 AM
Brian,

I have made a number of tables with wooden runners, some that are used regularly. I have not seen any issues with excess wear on any of these points. I simply use a good paste wax on all contact points. i apply this once a year.

Now...how are you going to attch these runners?

DonnieR

Jim Becker
03-24-2004, 8:40 AM
If these were kitchen cabinets, you'd have cause to be concerned about wear. But for side tables...it will be several lifetimes before you'd notice any. That said, if you really want to "protect" them, you can use some thin clear plastic corner guards normally used to protect finished drywall corners in high-traffic areas to give a slippery surface for the drawer to ride on. Or...just use wax.

Todd Burch
03-24-2004, 8:58 AM
Brian, I have done this several times. I install my lower runner slightly higher than the lower divider (rail). That way, the runner takes all the wear, not the rail under the drawer that will show. I've used both pine and MDF for the lower runners, and when I use MDF or need more friction-resistance than pine will provide, I'll glue a thin strip of hardwood (whatever is handy at the time) to the top (and maybe side too) of the runner to provide a better wear surface. And, wax is still in order. Todd

Mac McAtee
03-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Brian, You want to make the runners out of some completly different wood than the drawer that will slide on them. If you make the drawer out of a soft wood of some kind, say pine or fur, then make the runners of hardwood, cherry, walnut, mahogany what ever scraps you may have. And if the drawers, the part that slides on the runner, is a hardwood then make the runners of a soft wood, like pine or fur. You will get much less wear.

What ever you do, don't make both of the same wood or like, cherry on cherry or walnut on walnut, pine on pine or they will wear out more quickly.

Brian Green
03-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the replys.

I was going to make the side doublers, kickers and runners out of soft maple. The drawer sides are going to be 1/2" ash.

I was leaning towards Todd suggestion of installing the lower runner slightly higher than the front divider. This would be a solution to 2 problems - 1. Possible wear on the front divider and 2. Creating the reveal on the bottom of the drawer.

Waxing is definite. Thanks.

Brian