PDA

View Full Version : Sources for dimensioned lumber

Craig Earls
03-27-2008, 2:59 PM
I have a number of small projects coming up, things like jewelry boxes. I don't have resaw capability, and my local lumber supplier (who in all other respects I really like) will only thickness plane down to what I need. Since I am looking at 1/4" and 3/8" thickness for stock thickness, planing most of the species I want from 4/4 will result in 62-75% waste into sawdust. What are the most reputable sources for thin sections so I can not waste that much useful lumber? I am in Tucson AZ. I don't mind internet ordering, but obviously i will be at the whim of whomever is selecting the lumber for me.

Narayan Nayar
03-27-2008, 3:04 PM
Craig,

I'd say try to find someone locally who has a bandsaw. You're right--it'd be a shame to waste that much wood, and for something very small like a box wood selection is a very personal aesthetic choice.

Also, keep in mind that for small pieces like that, the bandsaw requirement for resawing is pretty minimal. I see that kind of bandsaw regularly go up on craigslist here for not that much money.

The other option, which I know doesn't sound too appealing, would be to handsaw your stock. Resawing with a good, tuned saw is definitely possible, though depending on the wood it can be a lot of work and it definitely will require you to practice a bit.

Anyway, some options for you.

glenn bradley
03-27-2008, 3:05 PM
This is of no help to you but, my yard stocks 2/4 and 1/4 for drawer sides and such. You could ask about your guy doing it too.

Brodie Brickey
03-27-2008, 3:11 PM
Craig,

Don't know your area, but while expensive, my local WoodCraft has thinner stock available. You might also check to see if there is a local woodworking or turning club. Maybe someone there can help you out.

Does your community college have a woodshop?

Stan Welborn
03-27-2008, 4:15 PM
Cross country, but Wall Lumber can furnish what you need. Gotta be a closer option though.

http://www.walllumber.com/thin.asp

Rob Russell
03-27-2008, 4:32 PM
You can resaw stock on a 10" table saw up to 5"-6" wide. Make a pass, flip the stock and do the other side. If your supplier would plane the resawed stock, that might be an option.

If you don't have a lot of stock to do, you can resaw with a handsaw that has a rip set to the teeth.

Craig Earls
03-28-2008, 6:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas! Maybe I will try to pick a small bandsaw, its not that I don't want one, just haven't been able to justify the expense...