PDA

View Full Version : Hock Blade problem and question

Jim Watkinson
03-27-2008, 2:56 PM
Some months ago I bought a Hock scraper blade to replace a blade that came along with a Stanley scraper. It has sat unopened until this week and when I began to flatten and sharpen it I noticed a corner had been chipped off at the factory by contact with a grinding tool and it had considerable cupping across the width of the blade. The cupping is so much that despite a lot of aggressive work I am unable to get this thing flat without removing a lot more metal. I've used Hock plane irons before with good success and am surprised by the condition this blade came in. I haven't purchased a Hock scraper blade before, so I'm asking whether I've made a mistake and that they are made with this cupping to help create a peak in the blades scraping surface?

JW

Tony Zaffuto
03-27-2008, 3:08 PM
Go straight to the Chief Goose Looney, the Rev. Ron hisself. Email him (get the address off his website) and tell him your tale.

T.Z.

Jesse Cloud
03-27-2008, 5:22 PM
Tony's got it. The chip is just not acceptable. I can see how a cup in a scraper blade might be intentional, but not sure. Give Ron a chance to make it right..