PDA

View Full Version : Two Cherry Vases - critique welcome

Tom Keen
03-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Trying some new things. both are made of cherry. Same tree but each has a different finish.

Large one is 14" X 6.5" - lightly ebonized, coat of danish oil and buffed.
Smaller one is 12" X 6" - two coats of wipe on poly, buffed.

I think the larger one would have been better with a narrower neck..the smaller one is better but I wish I had dressed up the grooves a bit.

You comments and feedback are welcome!
Thanks
Tom

85078 85079

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Tom - both of your vases look really good! The ebonized treatment on the larger vase sure made the grain pop! Very nice!

While both have really nice forms I will agree with you that the larger one might look better with a slightly narrower neck area. Very nice work on both!

Nathan Hawkes
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree with Steve about the first one. Could you describe the ebonizing treatment for those of us unfamiliar?? There are so many versions, I'm finding out....
The wood you have is great, BTW. I especially like the gum streaks in the cherry. The first piece is truly superb, but I also like the elongated form in the second piece. Its something you don't see too often. usually the base is too narrow for my taste on a lot of tall forms, but yours is not. Nice work!

Chris Padilla
03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Nice! Love the banding you put around it as well! Nice flowing forms, too. I, too, like the darker color over the lighter one simply because it pops the figure better.

Tom Keen
03-27-2008, 1:04 PM
I use the ebonizing solution discussed on this forum. Take a wad of steel wool, soak it in water and let it completely rust, keep it moist but not sopping wet. Take the rusty goo that remains and dilute it with a cup of white vinegar. Use a coffee filter and strain. For this piece.. with the lathe running very slowly... I used a paper towel and applied a little of the ebonizing solution..and wiped it off immediately. I wanted the solution to get into the end grain but not soak the entire piece. I let it dry and lighly sanded it with 400 grit paper.

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2008, 1:30 PM
Great looking pieces Tom. I agree that I would have made the neck narrower. Well done.

Glenn Hodges
03-27-2008, 2:50 PM
Tom, I like the figure in the large one the best, but what the heck that is the luck of the draw when you turn wood. The rim treatment really sets each one off. I find nothing wrong with the design, and like them both. The only negative I see is the photo, and people don't buy pictures of the vases, they buy the vases. Improved photography will help you get into some shows. I think you have produced 2 winners here, and I thank you for letting me seen them.

Tom Keen
03-27-2008, 4:15 PM
The only negative I see is the photo, and people don't buy pictures of the vases, they buy the vases. Improved photography will help you get into some shows. I think you have produced 2 winners here, and I thank you for letting me seen them.

I couldnt agree with you more. Im taking a class, learning photoshop, and plan on setting up a booth with a decent light system. I never thought I would have to become a photographer when I started turning...but it appears I do. My goal is to submit to a few juried shows next year and I think it will take me that long to get some work together and to have it properly documented. Thanks for the comment!!

David Newson
03-27-2008, 9:21 PM
Two nice pieces and the ebonizing on the large one makes really pop, and as others have said, the larger one would have been better with more slender neck, and my only other criticism is I'm not keen on the detail banding in the position its in I think it would have looked much better about 1"-11/2" down from the top, or maybe no detail at all with that gorgeous grain pattern.

David

Nothing ventured nothing gained

Brian McInturff
03-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Here I am again, in the minority. I prefer the first one with the neck the way it is. Has more of the early egyptian look to it. A narrower neck I fill would have been a distraction. The ebonizing adds a lot of character. I wouldn't have thought of doing it to those pieces. But I do like it.Both are great forms. Kudo's to you Tom!!

Christopher Zona
03-27-2008, 10:33 PM
...I think it would have looked much better about 1"-11/2" down from the top...

I have to agree here, but maybe instead of a particular distance, my thought is to place the detail at the largest diameter for the smaller vase. It has a very natural symmetry to it and the detail could have really accentuated the 1/3-2/3 concept of design features.

For me the jury is still out for the larger vase as far as the detail is concerned, but who am I to say. Nothing learned if you don't try.

I do like the ebonizing though. I may have to try that. I always thought that ebonizing was achieved by some method of burning. It never occurred to me that it could be achieved from oxidizing or patinas.

Jon Lanier
03-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Sounds like I concur with the most here, that larger was is nice, and who knows maybe a smaller neck?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Tom....I like both of them.

The larger one....I agree with you....I think a slightly smaller neck would be more pleasing to me.....JMPO....

I like the effect of the ebonizing....it enhances the grain....again JMPO....

Embellishments....Here is my take on those....I like the looks of the grooves on the big one.....but often....If I have something with a nice grain in it....I let the grain sell the project. On the other hand, if I have something that is rather bland...no distintive grain pattern...I'll add embellishments to enhance the piece.

Then there is position of the embellishment. If I'm considering grooves...I'll often pencil them in .....and see if I think it dresses up the piece...or detracts from the piece....then decide......a little 400 grit paper...and the pencil marks are gone.

Nicely done on both!

Ron Bontz
03-28-2008, 12:55 AM
They are both very nice. I really like the larger one. If you don't like it you could always ban it to my house. I have a little display case where it could live in shame. Ha.

Ben Gastfriend
03-28-2008, 6:46 PM
They both look great. I'll agree that the taller one needs a thinner neck, but the form on the shorter one is amazing! Woweee~

Cary Swoveland
03-31-2008, 11:39 PM
I like them both, Tom, but in the photo on the right, I find it a little unnerving the way the big one is looking at me.

Cary

Joel Sauder
04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
It think it is interesting the back and forth on the like or dislike of the neck of the larger vase. I am in the like camp. I can totally see a bunch of wildflowers sticking out of the top.

Grade A Job, and I love the little ring details too.

Joel

Joseph Peacock
04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Cool I couldn't do a better job.;)