PDA

View Full Version : Darkening an Annealed Stainless Steel piece

Bryan Cowan
03-27-2008, 11:41 AM
How can one darken the annealed graphic on a stainless steel piece? On the FiberMark 20W, the settings were:
10S, 100P, 60kHz, 0Fo

It looks a little on the "charred"/burnt side. It's dark, but I'd like it darker.

Should settings be changed? If so, to what?

Or

Could I apply something to the stainless steel after annealing (like shoe polish) to darken the image?

Thanks

Mike Null
03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Have you contacted tech support for your machine. Their applications dept may be able to help.

Rodne Gold
03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
You can probably get a very dark black mark by applying cerdec or another metal marking paste prior to lasering.
Dunno what you can apply after lasering or settings to get it darker.

Bryan Cowan
03-27-2008, 1:04 PM
It may just required a couple passes. We'll see.

Bill Cunningham
03-27-2008, 8:59 PM
There are not a lot of folks here with fibermark info.. The machines are pretty new yet, and rather pricey & limited in the materials they can handle.. But the ones they handle they handle very well.. I would assume most buy them for metal marking in an industrial environment rather than for all around laser work..

Roy Brewer
03-28-2008, 12:14 AM
How can one darken the annealed graphic on a stainless steel piece? On the FiberMark 20W, the settings were:
10S, 100P, 60kHz, 0FoIt's dark, but I'd like it darker. Bryan,
Try decreasing your Frequency(25-30kHz). The less frequent the pulse the higher the "burst" engery and this tends to make a darker mark on most metals. (Check your manual's suggestion in Section 7 "Freqency")

I'm not sure you can beat Rodney's suggestion (if you don't mind applying CerMark before lazing).