PDA

View Full Version : im looking for a lathe for the summer

curtis rosche
03-27-2008, 11:01 AM
i am starting to look into getting a lathe because my stepdad wont let me touch his and once schools out i wont have anything to do or anything to turn on i want to find a cheap one cause i dont have very much to spend at all but i want one that will be good enough to do big stuff (26-19in) i was thinking of getting one and then turning all summer making basic stuff to help pay for the lathe and the tools. the main problem is that i only have $500 in the bank and i know my parents wont let me touch all of it, probably only half of it. if anyone knows any one that has a lathe theyre getting rid of even if it needs a motor or some basic wiring (stepdads an electrian)

Brian Effinger
03-27-2008, 12:27 PM
i am starting to look into getting a lathe because my stepdad wont let me touch his and once schools out i wont have anything to do or anything to turn on i want to find a cheap one cause i dont have very much to spend at all but i want one that will be good enough to do big stuff (26-19in) i was thinking of getting one and then turning all summer making basic stuff to help pay for the lathe and the tools. the main problem is that i only have $500 in the bank and i know my parents wont let me touch all of it, probably only half of it. if anyone knows any one that has a lathe theyre getting rid of even if it needs a motor or some basic wiring (stepdads an electrian)
Take a look at the small Jet lathes. You can get a basic one for $250 from Rockler, or Woodcraft. Look for emailed coupons from either, or you might want to try a "Mom & Pop" store too - they might have the same lathe at a lower price. You could also try to find one on ebay or craig's list.

Tom Keen
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Well if I were you I would look at one of the Mini lathes. Jet is nice and the new model Ricon if good also. Id get a set of pen tools and a couple of standard tools and sell enough pens and small bowls to 1)buy a bigger lathe and/or 2)convince my step-father I was worthy of using his large lathe. And if I was having too much fun with my small lathe to bother buying a large one I could always use all the money I was making for the various items a young american male needs on this summer vacation! :)

In all seriousness, you can sell alot pens as long as the are of decent quality. I dont make pens, but I am asked constantly if I do. Small shops love to have a nice display near the cash register.

curtis rosche
03-27-2008, 1:36 PM
i could do that..... i dont really want to use my stepdads lathe though even if he let me he has one from rockler one of those gray things i dont like it very much, i guess i could do pens but is there a way to make blanks with out a bandsaw we dont have one of those i guess you could use a table saw but he doesnt really let me use any of the power tools because theyre his.

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2008, 1:50 PM
I have the Rikon from Woodcraft. It has a 12 inch swing and around 16" between centers and with a bed extension for $69 you can get 40". Six speeds (430, 810, 1,230, 1,810, 2,670, 3,900). I work mine pretty hard and it has been a good one.

curtis rosche
03-27-2008, 2:27 PM
any one know of a lathe thats cheap that works just doesnt have enough power ? if i could buy one like that i was thinking of getting a variable speed kit with a motor

Jon McCoy
03-27-2008, 3:50 PM
the main problem is that i only have $500 in the bank and i know my parents wont let me touch all of it, probably only half of it.Can you use your stepdad's turning tools and sharpening setup? You'll be hard pressed with a $250 budget to cover even a used lathe, some tools, sharpening, and wood. Grizzly sells a $50 lathe bed to which you attach a drill -- but I wouldn't think it's enjoyable to turn on.

I'd suggest contacting your local turning club and finding a mentor who will let you use their lathe along with some tutoring for safety, turning, and tool sharpening. There's bound to be someone locally who would let you use either their big lathe or their mini lathe. Might even find someone who's willing to loan you a mini lathe for the summertime.

See if they, or someone else in the club, will give/sell you their starter tools. Everyone has some, probably collecting dust.

Get chummy with the turning club's wood scavenger crew -- free wood in return for helping lift/load/sort logs and splits.

Check with the local community college, see if they have a woodworking class and if you can attend. In my experience, these are less schoolwork and instruction, and more a way for apartment dwellers to get their woodworking fix.

-jon-

Jim Underwood
03-27-2008, 4:01 PM
I second the turning club idea. Those guys will probably be only to happy to take you under their wing...
My friends in the club bend over backwards to help me out.

Josiah Bartlett
03-27-2008, 5:34 PM
Harbor Freight's 34706 variable speed lathe really isn't too bad, and you can get it on sale for $199 occasionally. It has a 3/4 horse motor and a cone belt variable speed drive that goes down to 600 rpm. If you change the tool rest (make your own or get one from Delta), put a bunch of weight on the stand shelf, and replace the crummy spur with a good one, it is pretty servicable. It has a #2 morse taper and a 1"x8 thread so standard accessories work on it, and if you take a belt sander to the bed you can clean up the machining quite a bit. The bearings in the head and tailstock are decent, and it takes standard tool rests that fit the delta lathes.

Or, how about making your own treadle lathe and turning neanderthal style, or powering it with your own motor?

curtis rosche
03-27-2008, 7:41 PM
a drill? that would be interesting,.......a teadle lathe? take to long to make.........a turning clun? closest turner that i know of is still 45 min away

i dont need wood if i am doing bowls i have tons and tons of wood mainly burls that are all mine. as for tools he might let me use those

just not the new ones......he just got some new hhs tools instead of the junkie ones and a chuck

Darryl Hansen
03-27-2008, 7:49 PM
Curt, Gary Evans had a Rikkon used lathe for $250 over on the woodcentral classifieds about a week ago.

James Gillespie, Jr.
03-28-2008, 1:37 PM
I have a TurnCrafter Pro with extension bed that I'll be posting for sale soon. I'll be asking $100 for the set. I've used it for about a year and a half, and still works fine, never used the extension bed. You'd need to pick it up as shipping would be quite expensive. I'm located in Stafford, VA, about 175 miles from Paradise, PA.

I might be able to convince the wife into a road trip to Lancaster and meet you along the way. Wouldn't be able to do that until April 12th or 22nd. If she goes for that, then I'd need to bump the price to $125 to cover the delivery.

I'm selling it because I won a Grizzly G0624 in a contest on another site. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks,
James

GLENN THOMAS
03-28-2008, 3:44 PM
Dont forget to check Amazon. I found a great deal on a Delta Midi lathe last September that I purchased for my son. The model number if I remeber correctly was LA200. I bought it for $122.00 and shipping was free. Couldnt beat that. Right now they have it on sale for about $220.00 which I still dont consider to be too bad. Just check Amazon now and then and you might find another deal like the one I got or a good deal on something else. Someone mentioned the Harborfreight lathe and they have it on sale right now for $200.00, if you can get a 15% discount thats only $170.00. I have the harbor Freight lathe and while it doesnt compare to a Nova or something like that it is definately worth $170. Ive learned a lot with my Harbor Freight lathe and have had no problems with it that I couldnt fix myself. If you were interested in the Harborfreight Lathe I have a coupon I could send you but it is only good until April 7th. If you had to buy it on line I guess could just give you the numbers, if that would work.

G.T.

Joyce Baldauf
03-28-2008, 5:02 PM
a

i dont need wood if i am doing bowls i have tons and tons of wood mainly burls that are all mine.

Curtis,

Why don't you offer some of those highly coveted burls you own as a trade item for some of the stuff you need. Almost every turner has a tool or two they don't use and would love to have a burl to turn. Some people might be willing to sell you their used lathe at a reduced price if you also throw in a burl or two . There are many turners here and on the other forums. It might work, give it a try.

Also give Craig's List a try, they are local. You could try selling a few of your burls on CL to make a little extra cash toward the purchase of a lathe, etc.

Good luck.

Jim Underwood
03-28-2008, 6:31 PM
I've been perusing the AAW website for local clubs in your area... I'm not familiar with PA, so I can't say off the top whether there's one fairly close to you.

But I've noticed that there are a fair amount of AAW members not too far away in Lancaster, Brownsville, and Ephrata. Surely there are a couple closer...

Joyce has an excellent idea about trading your burls for a discount price on a lathe.

Good luck!

Scott Hubl
03-28-2008, 9:35 PM
I'm not sure if anyone suggested this, But I suggest you have a sit down talk with your Mother and Step Father.

Explain how much you desire to turn beyond the classroom and see if there is a way that you can use his lathe.

Ask that he teaches you how to use it, how to use his sharpening system ect. in a safe manner.

Showing respect for him and his tools will go a long way in helping you to continue to turn.

Ask them if there are Extra chores that you could do to help earn some money towards buying a lathe for yourself.

I'm not sure how old you are, but a paper route might help and show your being responsible, while maintaining the regular chores you normally have to do without being asked.

This is an expensive hobby that even alot of adults can't afford let alone a school aged person.

Watch Craigs List like a HAWK , a DEAL will be SOLD within minutes not hours or days.

Talk with your parents, be honest, and see how much they will allow you to spend, before you go spending it.

If they see a genuine passion in your heart you may be surprized.

Look for a nice used lathe that includes accessories within your budget.

They do come along, be patient, buy within your budget and don't just buy the first thing you see just because your in a hurry.

Good luck.

Curt Fuller
03-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Does your school offer any summer courses? In a more relaxed summer wood shop class you would have almost unlimited access to a lathe you're already comfortable with.

Frank Triana
03-28-2008, 11:15 PM
This is sound advise and craigslist is a start. Depending where your at you might get a metal lathe, which you could convert. Good luck

John Landis
03-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Check out Craigslist in your area. Not sure where Paradise, PA is, but here's an ad from Lincoln Univ, PA. Several others there too

Ridgid wood lathe - $150

Reply to: sale-611261852@craigslist.org (sale-611261852@craigslist.org?subject=Ridgid%20wood%20l athe%20-%20$150)
Date: 2008-03-19, 10:44AM EDT

12" Swing, 36" Capacity Between Centers Handles Up to 12"Diameter Bowls and 36" Spindles
Tubular Steel Bed with Cast Iron Headstock, Tailstock, Tool Rest Holder, and Tool Rest Heavy, Durable, Stable During Turning
Heavy Duty Induction Motor with Belt Drive High Quality, Long Lasting, and Quiet
4 Speeds Accommodates a Variety of Turning Applications
3/4 - 16 Threads ,#1 Morse Taper Headstock Bearing Accepts Common Accessories
36 Position Indexing Head Facilitates Fluting and Ornamental Turning
Paddle Switch with Safety Lock-Off Easy to Actuate; Helps Prevent Unauthorized Use
Complete with Stand and Mounting Platform Sturdy Support of Lathe at Comfortable Working Height
Sof-Touch™ Handles More Comfortable Adjustments

Specifications
Motor 1/2 HP Induction 120V AC
Spindle Diameter (In.) x TPI 3/4 x 16
Bed Type Tubular Steel
RPM - 4 Speeds 875, 1350, 2250, 3450
Heavy Duty Stand with Mounting Platform Capacities Yes
Swing Over Tube (Bowl Diameter) 12"
Swing Over Tool Rest (Spindle) 7-3/4"
Between Centers 37"
Net Weight 134 lbs

FOR pick up only no delivery available

Reed Gray
03-29-2008, 1:05 PM
Curtis,
There are a couple of things you could try.

One, is there a local Community center locally, or a Community College? Some of these will have Woodshops that are available for a small fee, and or, instructors concent.

You could also approach your parents with a business proposition, and loan. You may be able to sell some of your turnings to help pay for your costs. This is how most of us support our habbit. You would need to find a farmers market, or store or some other outlet that sells to tourists (the only time people spend as much or more money than they do at Christmas is when they are on vacation).

Frankly, I am surprised that your step father won't let you use his tools. If my daughter was interested in my wood shop, I would love to be able to share that with her. Does he use his tools, or does he just have them around. Do remember that if you are using some one elses tools to take extra good care of them (ask how he wants them cared for), and clean up at least as much mess as you make. You sound like this is really some thing you want to do, keep trying, you will find a way.

robo hippy

curtis rosche
03-29-2008, 4:25 PM
he got into a fight with me because he wouldnt let me sand my bowl i made at school because it was his lathe and he had to do it and then when i pointed out the tearout that was still there he got all pissed off

John Landis
03-29-2008, 9:55 PM
Curtis, I think there are at least a dozen men here who wish they had a son like you. I hope you continue your interest and do well.

Good Luck

curtis rosche
03-30-2008, 4:07 PM
how hard do you guys think it would be to try to talk a furiture company into buying a lathe for their shop so someone can make bowls to go with their products?

Reed Gray
03-30-2008, 4:18 PM
Curtis,
You won't know till you try. You might have better luck if you are planning to turn spindles for the furniture, which they can use. Most of the time this is done with a duplicator rather than free hand. Keep trying, some thing will happen.
robo hippy

Don Eddard
03-30-2008, 4:19 PM
how hard do you guys think it would be to try to talk a furiture company into buying a lathe for their shop so someone can make bowls to go with their products?
Very hard.

curtis rosche
03-31-2008, 11:26 AM
ill ask about the spindles first ......

Robert E Lee
03-31-2008, 1:06 PM
If I have read this right and you are in a shop class, would the shop teacher be of any help with your questions on where to turn this summer. I think the best bet would be to make friends with your stepdad and find out what the poblem is with that.
Bob

curtis rosche
03-31-2008, 1:49 PM
yep You have read right Thats a good idea i'll ask him.

Gordon Seto
03-31-2008, 2:41 PM
If you work with a furniture company, they will be commission work. The customers are the boss. A catch can't turn into design opportunity. Sometimes matching timber are difficult to get. A matching item is alway challenging to make than the first one.

You also have to answer yourself some honest questions. Are you going to buy the stuff you made if they are made by someone? What makes yours more appealing?

From the view point of the furniture shop owner:
If they have enough spindle work, probably they would have a lathe along with other equipment. Or they would have an outsource for them, which they have control over. If something goes wrong with the merchandise (even possibly the customer at fault), they can have some recourse from their supplier.

You are a student who doesn't have to go to school in the summer. How about the rest of the year? the liability cost?

I suggest your best option is having some frank and open discussion with your step dad. I suspect you are not as innocent as you seems. Remember the idea of the horse radish turning!:D:rolleyes: