PDA

View Full Version : Is this 3ph

Peter Gerhardt
03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I found a 8" Jointer up for bid on that eveil auction site. It's listed as 230/460/3/60. Is this a 3 phase motor. About all I know about electric motors is that when you let the smoke out they don't work any longer.

Thanks,

Peter

Ralph Barhorst
03-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes. That would be a 3 phase, 60 cycle motor that can be connected for either 230 volts or 460 volts.

It will not work on single phase.

Peter Gerhardt
03-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks Ralph, I was affraid of that.

Peter

Gene O. Carpenter
03-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Peter,
That's a nice looking Jointer and Saddlebrook's not too far from you..I recently saw a Phaze Converter on one of the C'sList's in Joisey.Don't remember if it was NNJ,CNJ or SNJ. You could always change the motor to a single ~
Keep in mind anything that uses a voltage higher than 230 will be 3phz..
Gene

Peter Gerhardt
03-28-2008, 8:36 AM
Yea I saw that phase converter and was thinking about it becaues I always see great deals on 3 phase machines. However being a bit electrically chanllaged I am sume what hesitiant about it. I think it's time to do some learning consisdering I am at a point where I am starting to upgrade some of my equipment.

Peter

John Shuk
03-28-2008, 9:18 AM
In regards to an 8 inch jointer I would have to be getting it nearly free to make it worth dealing with 3 phase. A phase converter would eat up a good part of the savings over buying new or used single phase in my opinion.
Many people will chime in that 3 phase conversion isn't that big a deal but you could get a new and warranteed Grizzly 8" jointer for $695.
That would fit more easily into my personal situation.

Gene O. Carpenter
03-28-2008, 4:16 PM
You're right there John! I don't know what that jointer will end up going for but if I had the $$$ and were looking for an 8" jointer I would also go for the Griz 8" rather than but a 3phz for $200 then another $250 or $350 for a converter..
Now if the 3phz was going for scrap price that would be another story! I have a good 5hp 3phz air compressor motor and a new GE 7hp 3phz that I could use to generate that 3rd leg. Could belt it off the 5hp air compressor by switching belts..
But that would get to be a pain!:mad: I'd definatly be knocking on the Bears den door with $695 + Pensy's 6% sales tax..:cool:
Gene

CPeter James
03-28-2008, 5:13 PM
At that price, you could easily replace the motor. It is nothing exotic, any 1 1/2 hp would do. This is a USA made machine.

CPeter