PDA

View Full Version : First Box - Thanks Michael Stafford for Tutorial

steven carter
03-27-2008, 9:54 AM
I have been wanting to make some boxes for a while and came across a fine tutorial by Michael Stafford, so I thought I would give it a try. I used a bone dry piece of walnut firewood. It ended up 2 1/8" diameter by 2 3/4" tall. I had fun making it and will be making more. I'm sure it isn't all that easy to get a good suction fit, I must have had beginners' luck because the lid comes off with a soft pop. Thanks for looking.

Steve

Steve Mawson
03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Looking good. I believe you have the hang of it, just keep going.

Jim Underwood
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
That's a nicer looking box than my first one.

Good job, and keep going.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd say "Big Mike" has rubbed off on you! Nicely done!

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Steve - that looks pretty good for a first one! Wow - you even got a suction fit on the lid? Must have done something right! Looking forward to seeing the next one!

Tom Keen
03-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Nice first box! Good proportions..nice wood. my first one is around here somewhere, it warped with lid on and cant be opened. :)

Boxes are fun to make and are great way to practice alot of different skills. Look forward to the next one.

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2008, 1:52 PM
Big Mike is the man. That is a great looking box. Well done.

Glenn Hodges
03-27-2008, 2:45 PM
Good looking box

Tom Sherman
03-27-2008, 5:36 PM
Nice job Steve, the lid is usually the toughest part. Looks like you got a grip on it.

Michael Stafford
03-27-2008, 5:41 PM
Thanks Steve, I appreciate the heads up. I love turning boxes and hoped that my little tutorial would encourage others to try this type of wood turning.

The box looks great. My first one was a hollow lump with a poor fitting lid so you have done well. The next one will be better. Enjoy and be safe!

David Newson
03-27-2008, 8:55 PM
That's a nice box for 1st attempt and a bonus with a well fitting lid as well.

Although its worth remembering a tight fitting lid is very much a woodturners thing, and I have found the ladies/girls that purchase them or comment on them they prefer a lid that comes of with one hand easily, leaving the base on their bedside cabinet or whatever so they can just scoop out their jewellery with their finger.

This is not a criticism it just and observation I have found !

David

Ben Gastfriend
03-27-2008, 8:59 PM
Looks good to me! Can't wait to see more.

Allen Neighbors
03-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Awesome 1st box!! When you get 'em to look like that, you're not just on your way... you've arrived!
If you get any that look as good as Mike's, you can consider yourself a true box maker. Just waitin' for another chance to get my hands on one of his for my little collection.
Well Done!!

Scott Hubl
03-28-2008, 2:21 PM
Nice looking lidded box Steve.

Now WHERE is Mikes Tutorial at?
I looked in the woodworking articles and reviews section, Not there.:confused:

I then looked through 13 pages of Mikes posts and gave up.

WHY hasnt these types threads been moved to that other section once the thread has died down with postings?

My lathe electrical post sure got moved fast.:eek:

steven carter
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Scot, I sent you a pm with this info, but thought I would post it here also for others who might be interested.

http://www.teknatool.com/projects/MikeBOX/Turning%20an%20End%20Grain%20Lidded%20Box.pdf

Hope this helps,

Steve

Joseph Peacock
04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Cool first box!!!! Keep it up.;)

Scott Hubl
04-01-2008, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the info Steven,

No wonder I could'nt find it anywhere here.

It wasn't presented here.:p

Thanks for the PM with the link.:D

jim tracy
04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks Steve for the link!