PDA

View Full Version : Exaktor vs penn state blade guards

Louis Reed
03-27-2008, 9:40 AM
Hello,

I'm looking at blade guards for my unisaw restoration. The Exaktor made in canada goes for $400. I checked out the penn state site they have whate seems to be a knock off of the Exaktor for $185. I've read some reviews by Exactor owners that have been positive. So I am intrested in comments from Penn state blade guard owners.

I would like to add the biesemeyer splitter to the set up, another $180, so you can see my delema.

Looking forward to your comments,

Louis Reed

Bart Leetch
03-27-2008, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't buy either. 2 reasons. 1 you can't see what happening inside the guard very well & its very cumbersome to work around. 2. Penn State used to sell Exaktor blade guards.

I have an Exaktor guard system & only use part of it. Guard systems are funny either they pick up dust fairly well & are big & hard to see into & cumbersome or they don't pick up dust. As you can see I even had a light in my Exaktor guard. I would rather see what is happening than have something that is a nuisance over the top of my saw which is so cumbersome that I don't use it.

The guard I made is taken off of the Delta Uniguard table-saw system design which allows me to raise one side or the other or both depending on what I am doing. It also allows me to see the operation.

I don't get a whole lot of dust or chips off of the top of my saw the few I get I can live with. I tried to find a good picture of the Uniguard but everyone uses the Deltat picture which is a lousy picture.

I have heard good things about the shark guard though. I don't have one & am in no way connected with this business.

http://www.leestyron.com/sharkguard.php

Greg Cole
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I'll vote for the Shark Guard, no affiliation other than sending Lee some of my $ for one of his guards.
Rumors of a new version of Shark guard are on another forum as the most recent version has had a couple breakages from massive kickbacks according to the manufacturer.

Greg

Paul Johnstone
03-27-2008, 1:01 PM
Definitely vote for the shark guard. It's so nice not to have that cumbersome bar running right over the table. Gets in the way. I have a Shark Guard and love it. I've used the other guards in other people's shops before arriving at the decision.

Rod Sheridan
03-27-2008, 1:39 PM
Hi Louis, I have an Excalibur overarm guard and a Merlin splitter on a General 650 and am very happy with it.

The Excalibur has good dust collection when ripping, crosscutting as long as the material is wider than the guard opening.

Since the Excalibur is an over arm guard, it can be used for non through sawing operations such as rebates, grooves and dadoes, something you cannot do with a splitter mounted guard.

Regards, Rod.