PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Choice

Don Abele
03-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Here's a debate to start :D ...I need a new air compressor, 60 gallon and at least 10 scfm at 90 psi. What do you have? What would you recommend?

Dennis, I know you've got the Husky after your CH fiasco - how's it been working out?

I am seriously considering the Ingersol (3 HP/135 psi/11.3 scfm @ 90 psi) from Northern at $550 (free shipping). I've read a few of you guys with this similar model - Jim, didn't you get one recently?

What are your thoughts/suggestions? Thanks

BTW: I'm replacing a very old (>10 years) craftsman 60 gallon that has a dead motor and is not worth fixing.

Bruce Page
03-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Don, if I were looking for a new compressor, the 3hp IR would be awfully tempting. IR is one of the most respected names out there, and Northern has free shipping too!

Tyler Howell
03-24-2004, 6:28 AM
Doc, I won't fight the fever to buy new, I tried with Dennis and he had his mind set:p. Just don't forget you've got 60 gal of storage sitting there that will cut down on the cyling of your new IR. ;)

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-24-2004, 7:53 AM
I have the Porter Cable at home, we have the IR at the mesquite outfit. When I bought mine (at Lowes) it was on sale and quite a bit less expensive than the IR. Now I think the price difference is only around $100...and for a hundred dollar bill, I'd go with the IR. Less plastic on it.

KC

Jim Becker
03-24-2004, 8:37 AM
Given the Husky is a CH...I went with the IR. 'Got it at Tractor Supply as their sale price, even after paying 6% tax, was less than the Northern Tool price with free shipping from IR.

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2004, 6:52 PM
Jim,
What weight oil and what type of oil, that is detergent or non detergent, are you using in your new air compressor?

Thanks

Boyd :)

Given the Husky is a CH...I went with the IR. 'Got it at Tractor Supply as their sale price, even after paying 6% tax, was less than the Northern Tool price with free shipping from IR.

Jim Becker
03-24-2004, 7:02 PM
What weight oil and what type of oil, that is detergent or non detergent, are you using in your new air compressor?

The IR comes with the recommended IR synthetic oil that preserves your warrenty. If you were to use an alternative lubricant, it should be non-detergent, typically ISO 30 weight for temps between 40ºF and 80ºF and ISO 40 weight for 80ºF and above, according to the table in the manual. But they specifically recommend you use their synthetic..and they double the warranty to 24 months if you do.