PDA

View Full Version : Steel City 55210 16" x 32" Drum Sander questions

Stephen Edwards
03-27-2008, 7:57 AM
I'm seeking comments from owners of the Steel City 55210 16" X 32" Drum Sander. Comments also appreciated from people who don't own one but are familiar with this sander. Thanks!

</IMG>

Anthony Whitesell
03-27-2008, 8:16 AM
I recently purchased the Performax 16-32 over the Steel City.

There are some differences between the SC and the Jet to take into consideration. I won't tell you that either is better but I'll list some of the items I noted when comparing them.

The motor sizings are the same and the drum size is the same. Both are moveable drum opposed to moveable table, which makes DIY feed tables much easier.

The Steel City has a 2 1/2" dust port and requires 450 CFM. Hmmm? The Jet dust port is 4".

The SC has a minimum length of 5" where the Jet is 2 1/2", but the SC has a 5" height and the Jet is only 3".

The Jet goes down to 1/32" thick, where as the SC minimum is 1/8". The Jet as automatic feed rate control which should help prevent burning.

I did notice the outside support on the SC and couldn't decide if it would be nice/convenient or in the way.

Stephen Edwards
03-27-2008, 9:45 AM
Hey Anthony,

Thanks for your input and observations. I've been mulling over purchasing a drum sander. I've heard only positive things about the performax and am leaning in that direction.

I found a company out of Macon, Georgia that sells the one you have for $849 bucks with free delivery to a local freight terminal.....anywhere in the South East. That would include me! Through April 30th they're also offering a $25 manufacturer's rebate which would bring the final price down to $824. I'd only have to drive one hour's drive to pick it up. So, I guess that settles it.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it very much.

Anthony Whitesell
03-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I've heard rumors of a 10% off power tools at Woodcraft on April 12th which is prior to the expiration of the $25 rebate.

rumors = stuff posted on the forums, I haven't laid my eyeballs on anything in print yet and don't know if there is one near you. If you do see something in print and aren't near a Woodcraft, it wouldn't hurt to try for a price match somewhere closer.