PDA

View Full Version : PC 7518 problems

Paul Greathouse
03-27-2008, 5:38 AM
I'm having a couple of problems with my 7518 and I wanted to see if any of you have experienced the same. I searched this forum as many ways as I could imagine and haven't found an answer or even a discussion about these two problems yet. I've had this router mounted in my table for about 4 years so it has seen some heavy use at times.

First, when using a 3 inch panel raising bit I set my speed on the slowest setting. When I first turn it on it cycles up and down in speed until you start routing a panel. It is obviously spinning up faster than what it is set for. After two or three passes it will stop the cycling and run normal for as long as you leave it on. This problem does not occur with smaller bits at faster speeds.

Second, at any time when routing panels with the same 3" bit the router spindle will stop turning but the motor continues to hum. I have to turn it off and restart it and it will come up to speed and run normal. I don't think I'm trying to hog too much off at one time. I have the router in a benchdog lift and I am only raising it 1/8" at per pass. This has happened in both Oak and MDF.

Is my router about to give up its ghost, I hope not considering the cost of these things.

Jim Becker
03-27-2008, 9:42 AM
You may need a new speed control circuit board. I had to have mine replaced a few years ago for a similar situation. 'Talked the service center into just selling me the part to avoid the labor charges and it was an easy job.

Jim O'Dell
03-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Use your parts breakdown that came with the unit, or find it on the web, and do a search by the part number. I've found that Sears parts has the best prices, but not sure if that holds true when you factor in shipping. You'll get multiple hits including eparts.com, or something like that, and several of the online tool sellers. Good luck! Jim

Larry Fox
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Going through a bit of the same with mine right now - I was hoping that some compressed air might help clear out what I suspected was due to dust / chips but I have not gotten around to it uet. I used it the other day with a very small bit in it and it seemed fine.

Jerome Hanby
03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Ohhh, that brings up a totally new question.

Since you had it broken down to replace the speed control card, how much of a job would it be to mount that card in it's own little box and run it's wiring back to the router. Say just far enough to mount the speed control on the front of a router table (or extension wing)?

You may need a new speed control circuit board. I had to have mine replaced a few years ago for a similar situation. 'Talked the service center into just selling me the part to avoid the labor charges and it was an easy job.

Jim O'Dell
03-27-2008, 2:21 PM
Jerome, I've wondered the same thing. I would think a call to PC about extending the wiring to see if that would cause any problem would be the best way to find out. That's the only thing I can think that would create a problem is if the electronics would have problem with the extra resistance. The speed control on my PC 8529 died, and I wired around it. I have only full speed, and no soft start, but it seems to work ok. Jim.

Greg Heppeard
03-27-2008, 3:06 PM
I had the same problem with a new one out of the box. I returned it and am back to using my old Triton which doesn't have that problem. Will probably pick up another Triton in a month or so.

Jerome Hanby
03-27-2008, 3:19 PM
I found an exploded diagram on PC's service site. If it's accurate, looks like there are only 3 wires connecting the board...

Wiring around it to have fixed speed and no soft start sounds like it would be compatible with the external speed control you can buy. Wonder if those are any good?

I may have to take a look inside my 7518 and see how difficult it would be to try extending the wiring. I'll post if it works (and some pictures).

Jerome, I've wondered the same thing. I would think a call to PC about extending the wiring to see if that would cause any problem would be the best way to find out. That's the only thing I can think that would create a problem is if the electronics would have problem with the extra resistance. The speed control on my PC 8529 died, and I wired around it. I have only full speed, and no soft start, but it seems to work ok. Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-27-2008, 5:08 PM
I don't think it would be hard. Get some 12 or 14 guage extension cord and some wire connectors. The hardest thing would be a housing for the speed control. Jim.

Jim Becker
03-27-2008, 5:51 PM
I suppose you could do a remote mount of the speed control circuitry, but you'd also need to come up with a way to deal with the five position switch which is located on the "top" of the PC7518. Doable but not necessarily trivial. I don't find it cumbersome to just reach into the router table cabinet and move the switch with my finger...and it doesn't get done all that often anyway. (I do use a Bench Dog remote on/off switch for my setup)

Frank Martin
03-27-2008, 6:02 PM
I just purchased this router and the Bench Dog lift. Seems like PC has not gotton the variable speed right on this router. Just curious how common this problem is. All I have read on this forum prior to this is that this router is pretty much bullet proof, which contradicts with posts in this thread.

If this is too common a problem, I will return the router and the lift and look for other options. I will not be using it in a production setting, just light hobby use likely less than a 20 hours of total run time per year. As a point of reference, since I started this hobby about 6 years ago, I have not had any failures with any of my routers. But, none of my routers are PC. Only Dewalts and Bosch until I added this PC.

Bond Turner
03-27-2008, 6:40 PM
I went through three of these routers in less than a year. Was all warranty, but not worth the hassle. PC is not the company that it used to be. I baught the Milwaukee 3 1/4 and love it. Smoother, quieter and it has never even thought of giving me a problem...and it has a 5 year warranty and made in the USA!

Since my success with the router in my table I also purchased the handheld fixed/plunge kit. Great tool. I would highly recommend Milwaukee.

Paul Greathouse
03-27-2008, 7:30 PM
Thanks for all the reply's, and the remote speed control idea is interesting. I actually hesitated about posting this problem because this router has done such a great job otherwise.

I was afraid this post might steer some away from purchasing. Frankly, I have recommended this router and the Benchdog lift on several other threads. I will continue to use it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one because of the power and ease of use when combined with the Benchdog lift.

The problems are more a nuisance than a danger or a creator of down time. As I stated in my original post this router has seen heavy use in the 4 years that I have had it. So much so, that I would expect to see some degradation. Don't let this one, seemingly negative post, overshadow all the good posts that have been made about the PC7518. In all fairness I don't have dust collection on this router table and that could very well be a contributing factor.

Mark Engel
03-27-2008, 8:01 PM
I just had the speed control issue with my 7518 this past weekend. I usually (99%) of the time just run it at the highest speed setting. I was using a new raised panel bit that required running the router at the slowest speed. When I first turned it on, the router seemed to be searching for the correct speed. This went on for a minute or three before I just turned it off. I moved the speed switch back and forth a few times in an attempt to clean/burnish the contacts. I then pulled the motor out of the table and gave it a good blow with compressed air.

I set the thing back in the table and turned it back on. It started off at pretty much full speed, then started searching again, but only for 15-20 seconds or so, then settled down to a nice even speed. When I started to make the cuts it would slow down as the wood hit the bit, then it regained the correct speed and maintained it through the rest of the cut.

This particular unit is (guessing here, 'cause I can't find the manual/receipt) about 7-8 years old. It lives in the router table and worked on almost everything I have ever made. If it died tomorrow, I would still feel like I got my money's worth. I just don't think it will.