PDA

View Full Version : Shop Lights

Kyle Costlow
03-27-2008, 1:05 AM
I was trying to setup some lighting in my little shop, my parents had a few unused 4' fluorescent fixtures. I picked up a bulk pack of bulbs and installed them. In each fixture only one bulb will work, I tried different bulbs and no difference. Is it common for one side of these fixtures to go bad? I was really hoping to get some good lighting overhead(for cheap:D). Is there a certain way the bulbs need to be installed?

Don Eddard
03-27-2008, 2:43 AM
I'm assuming these are two-bulb fixtures? If so, I'll be interested in seeing what other guys say, I'm kind of in the same position. One of the twin bulb fixtures in my shop will only light one side, and the fixture is only a couple of months old. Cheap shop light from the borg. In my case it'll probably be cheaper to replace it than fix it.

Dave MacArthur
03-27-2008, 3:02 AM
There's only a couple wires in there... you can troubleshoot it back in a few minutes with a 10$ tester from HD, I'd think.

dave rollins
03-27-2008, 6:36 AM
Kyle
Check to see that the small wires coming out of the ballast are not pinched between two pieces of metal, next check to see that none of the wires have come loose out of the pin sockets, lastly check the wiring diagram that is usually on the ballast to make sure that the wiring isn't configured wrong.
Hope this helps
Dave

Jim Mims
03-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Fluorescent fixtures work by establishing an arc across the lamp. Around 500 volts on one end and 5 volt on the other end. If the pins aren't making good contact, you won't complete the circuit. I hate troubleshooting fluorescent fixtures!
- Jim

Jim O'Dell
03-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Also check the receptacle the bulb pins go into. There may be a problems with one or more of the contacts there, on one end or both. A 2 bulb fixture should work both lights off the same ballast output wires, IIRC, so if one works both should if all the wiring and receptacles are good. Jim.

Prashun Patel
03-27-2008, 11:05 AM
My BORG flourescent light dies every now and then because of dust. WIth the power off, inspect the contacts. swab them with a q-tip soaked in a little isopropyl alc and then use a screw driver to pry the contacts up a tad so the make tight contact with the bulb leads.

Um, make sure the alcohol dries thoroughly b4 repowering.

That worked for me.

Kevin Slankard
03-27-2008, 9:46 PM
I just installed 8, 4ft 2 bulb fixtures in my shop. Everything was going lovely until I got to the 2nd to last fixture. One of the bulbs on it will not light up. I've tried everything externally, but haven't popped the hood on it. But, for $8.99, I don't know if it's even worth it. Thats what I get for going cheap!!!!

glenn bradley
03-28-2008, 4:34 AM
The end clips on the cheapies are pretty weak. Along with the other good advice here, unplug the fixture, remove the bulbs and give a close look at the clips that work and the ones that don't. You can get the bulb pins in there in such a way as to bend these and they fail to make correct contact. This can happen while changing bulbs so it is possible the trouble started before you got them but, should be easily fixable (if this is the cause).