PDA

View Full Version : Lennox Trimaster

Paul Simmel
03-27-2008, 12:22 AM
It looks like a lot of people like this blade. I'm in the market. I have a Jet 18" ... the older one with the 1.5 hp motor and the 133" blade.

I primarily use the BS for ripping all my rough stock and rarely resaw more than 6".

Oddly, the 1-1/4" blade is less $$ than the 1". Given that I don't much care about smoothness of the cut as much as cutting ability, which of the two should I go with?

Thank you.

Mark Singer
03-27-2008, 1:30 AM
I have 2 9f the 1" trimasters and I use them on my Aggazani . I never used the 1 1/4" I would get the 1" on your saw , you may not have enough spring tension for the 1" and really should get a 3/4". Also I cut curves with mine

John Bush
03-27-2008, 1:37 AM
Hi Paul,
I had the 3/4" Tri-master on my 18" BS and it was a huge improvement for resawing. It would be great for ripping as well. I also bought a Lenox Woodmaser CT but sold the saw before I had the chance to use it. I now have a 21" BS and I just got the 1" Woodmaster CT for it but haven't used it yet. I was very happy with the Tri-master on my 18"er and decided to buy the CT for my new BS primarily for the $$$ savings and I am assuming it will perform as well. I think you would find the 3/4" Tri-master would work well for ripping and may be easier on your machine. I got mine thru Cyber Woodworking as their service and pricing are both excellent. Good luck,John.

Paul Simmel
03-27-2008, 2:30 AM
Thanks, guys. I've been running a 1" cheapo for a few years and it's starting to track above 3" just a bit now. Other than that no issues, and frankly I want these so-so saw blade days behind me. I want something really nice on there because I have a LOT of sawing coming up. I'm sure the carbide will make a huge difference. I don't think I could go back to a 3/4" after seeing the 1" in there for so long... but I'm open to the best minds around.

Mike Cutler
03-27-2008, 5:16 AM
Given that I don't much care about smoothness of the cut as much as cutting ability, which of the two should I go with?

Thank you.

Paul

I have the 1" Tri-Master on my 18" Rikon. Excellent blade.
I also agree with Mark, I don't think your Jet can properly tension a 1 1/4" blade.

If the statement I quoted from your post above is a correct. You could look at the Lennox Bi-Metal blade as an alternative. It's about 2/3 less than a Tri-Master. But I still think you will be happier with a Tri-Master

Ben Abate
03-27-2008, 8:44 AM
I have to agree with Mark also. I have a 24 inch Laguna and have a tri master on it and you couldn't ask for a better cut. In fact I was resawing some 12 inch spalted maple yesterday and the finish was unbelievable. Go with the one inch, there is no advantage going with the 1 1/4 inch.

Ben

Mark Singer
03-28-2008, 9:30 AM
A very good inexpensive blade is the Olson MVP and they have a variable tooth blade also. This is a bi metal blade and under $30 http://routerbitworld.com/

Larry Fox
03-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Also maybe look into the Woodslicer - nice blade for a nice price.

John Thompson
03-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Agree with all that stated 3/4" is enough on a 18" saw. And if you mainly rip agree with Mike on trying a Lennox 3/4" bi-metal. I do a lot of ripping on 12/4 stock with my Lennox bi-metal.

I also re-saw with it and a Wood-slicer. I have used a Wood-slicer for years but actually perfer the Lennox bi-metal at this point as I have more versatility going both ways.. I run a 137" and the price is about $40-$45. Won't last as long as the carbide.. but then agaiin you can get 4-5 for the same price and not worry about sending them out for sharpening.

Sarge..

Jim McFarland
03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I have the 3/4" trimaster on an older 18" Jet and very happy with performance for resawing -- mostly walnut so nothing too tough.

Paul Simmel
03-28-2008, 4:31 PM
Well thank you for the input. I decided to go with the 1" WoodMaster CT 1.3 tpi (carbide). It's about $120. I'm thinking this is probably a good compromise price-wise because, as I said, I rip and slice up everything on the BS. Everything I cut gets machined after the initial sizing, so smoothness is not a major concern. I'm hoping I made the right choice and will know Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks, everyone.

Jim Becker
03-28-2008, 8:53 PM
I'll be interested in hearing how you like the new Woodmaster CT, Paul...I'm considering it for a replacement of the TriMaster I, um...buggered up badly...when I forgot to reset the guides the last time I used it. (Yes, the Trimaster will cut steel...oy!)

Paul Simmel
03-28-2008, 9:26 PM
Jim, I will let you know for sure. I know the TriMaster is a superior blade/band. It is my understanding that it was actually designed for metal, which was one of the considering factors in my choice to go with the WoodMaster ($100 less). I, on the other hand, will have to be very careful to not throw anything through the saw which MAY have metal in it... I was accordingly "warned" by a rep at bandsawbladesdirect.com.

I am sorry for your loss. During my research, I think it was you who said back in 2005, that one would have to pry the TriMaster out of your cold, dead hands... and that was before the new steel recipe.

I'll post here, and PM you.

Regards,

Paul

Mike Cutler
03-29-2008, 9:47 AM
I
(Yes, the Trimaster will cut steel...oy!)

And it does an exceedingly nice job cutting steel, at about 1/3 the blade speed of a wood cutting bandsaw l.:eek:,;)

Ouchie mama Jim. That had to give ya' a start, before you got mad at yourself.

John Thompson
03-29-2008, 11:10 AM
"I'll be interested in hearing how you like the new Woodmaster CT, Paul...I'm considering it for a replacement of the TriMaster I, um...buggered up badly...when I forgot to reset the guides the last time I used it. (Yes, the Trimaster will cut steel...oy!)".. Jim B

I thought about the Woodmaster the last time I called to a couple of Lennox bi-metals. I ask and was told that it will definitely NOT give the smooth cut as the Tri-master carbide. I was told it was designed for a more industrial cut as ripping. That makes it perfect for Paul as he stated he mainly rips and doesn't care about smooth.

But.. I was also told it does an excellent job of re-saw, but you just have to allow extra material for cleaning the cut. IMO.. even with the Tri-Master I would clean the cut to some degree. I run a $45 bi-metal which last about 5 times as long as carbon. The Tri-master will last about 10-12 (depends on who you talk too) times as long as carbon from what I'm told.

So.. if I plane anyway and do lot of thick ripping as I do.. I can get 5 of the 3/4" bi-metals for the price of one Tri-master. It seems a waste to me to use the Tri on rip jobs that are going to the jointer anyway by contributing to dulling the carbide teeth. If I were doing all re-saw that would be different.

Again.. I might try the Woodmaster depending on the verdict Paul arrives at just to know. But I replaced the WoodSlicer I have used for years with the bi-metal as it dulled early with ripping added to re-saw and the bi-metal does an excellent job on both counts as it will last much longer than a WS.

Just fuel for thought on the matter... Then again.. we could just sell the tools and go to Wally World.. or perhaps we've already been there? :D

Regards...

Sarge..

Paul Simmel
04-01-2008, 3:16 PM
Well, the 1" WoodMaster does leave a bit of a rough edge (like I expected) but it cuts like nothing I have ever experienced before. There's just no comparison to my previous 3/4" and 1" "standard" bands.

My tests were on 3" elm.

I have absolutely no issue with tension on my Jet 18", and in fact I have always tended to leave my bands on the light side. Currently, I have it set for the 3/4" setting and see no reason to go tighter than that, though later I will take it up to see if there is any noticeable difference in the smoothness of the cut. If so, I will post it. But this is going to be a production blade, because the bandsaw is the heart of my shop. I slice and dice everything on it, and then joint and plane my stock after.

If you work like I do, and use the BS for preparing rough dimensions, you will be more than pleased with this blade. I was very pleased with the old cheapos, but the effort involved with pushing stock through on this Lenox is nearly non-existent by comparison. And the estimate, IIRC, for the carbide blades is 10 - 12 times more life span, so I couldn't be happier.

Also, it sort of "sings" as I cut... a completely different sound than what I am used to for all these years.

If the TriMaster cuts as well (I don't know), and leaves a very smooth edge as so many attest to, then that would be the way to go if smoothness is a major concern. That blade is $220. The WoodMaster was $120.

Jim Becker
04-01-2008, 9:31 PM
Yes, the TriMaster is "almost" table saw smooth IF you are able to use the fence and feather boards, as well as a very steady feed rate to make your cut. But this new WoodMaster sounds like a great value for "most of us" who want a long-life carbide tipped blade for resaw and other straight work. (Never cut curves with any blade you intend to resaw with...)