PDA

View Full Version : Saw update and questions

David Tiell
03-27-2008, 12:09 AM
OK, a while back I posted this thread about some saws I had family pick up for me from a CL ad. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76075

Went back to visit the family for Easter and now have the saws. The small back saw is marked "R.H. DAVIS/CAST STEEL/U.S.A." in 3 lines on the steel spine. The keyhole saw has an "E.C. ATKINS & CO INDIANAPOLIS, IND" medallion inset into the handle. I could not find any markings on t cursory glance at the large back saw, but suspect it is a Millers Falls that came with the miter box. All seem to be in pretty decent condition.

Now for a question. I bought an old Disston hand saw for $2 at an old shop. But it only has half a handle, and only one of the nuts holding that on. So I've got to make a handle for it. But where do I get the bolts/split nuts to attach it?

Thanks,

Dave

Jim Koepke
03-27-2008, 1:41 AM
Now for a question. I bought an old Disston hand saw for $2 at an old shop. But it only has half a handle, and only one of the nuts holding that on. So I've got to make a handle for it. But where do I get the bolts/split nuts to attach it?

Thanks,

Dave

I bought a bunch of handles on the auction site that shall not be named. At the same time, I bought a gagillion saw screws. Well, the handle's holes do not line up well with the blades in my assortment, but that is not too bad as some are close and maybe a drill or file can sort that out.

The saw nuts were all apart and apparently, they do not all have the same threads so far I haven't got more than a dozen of them to match. I do see these all the time on the auctions site. You may get a better deal buying a junker saw and using the nuts off of it. Then if the blade is not totally trashed, cut it up and make scrapers or what ever.

jim

Sam Yerardi
03-27-2008, 7:22 AM
To stay as close to the age, etc. of the saw or tool you're restoring, sometimes the only way is to have donor tools to get parts from.

Thom Sturgill
03-27-2008, 7:25 AM
Joel at Tools for Working Wood sells the nuts and a split nut driver separately from the Gramercy dovetail saw kit (on the same page). http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=GT-DKIT.XX&Category_Code=TMQ

Marcus Ward
03-27-2008, 9:07 AM
I bought a bunch of handles on the auction site that shall not be named.

Can you guys stop this please? It's Ebay. Nothing in the ToS says you can't say it, merely that you can't link directly to auctions, itself a stupid rule since we just post the item numbers - but I don't make the rules.

EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY!

Jim Becker
03-27-2008, 9:28 AM
Maybe we should have a contest for the most creative alternative name for that auction site.... :D ...you're technically correct, Marcus, the name is not verboten. But it's so much fun to call it anything but what it really is!

Jim Koepke
03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Can you guys stop this please? It's Ebay. Nothing in the ToS says you can't say it, merely that you can't link directly to auctions, itself a stupid rule since we just post the item numbers - but I don't make the rules.

EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY EBAY!

I was just having fun with rules that create unintended consequences and twisting a line from Harry Potter.

I get a chuckle when seeing uPay or biDay and bidWay2much.

Oh well it would be boring if we all acted the same.

jtk