PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Black Marble

Donna Kobyluk
03-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Would appreciate any leads to locating for ideal laser 12x12 black marble tiles. Any suggestions & phone numbers. Also best Absolute Black found ? Northern CA? I've already found out cheapest is not the best:o

Luke Phillips
03-27-2008, 2:46 AM
You might try Artistic Laser (www.artistic-laser.com (http://www.artistic-laser.com)) in Redlands, CA. Office: (909) 307-9533. I don't know if they're still in business but I was very pleased with the quality of the stone they had.

Larry Matthews
03-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Found some at Lowes, we engraved a checker board in it and it came out very well. Black absolute $5.99

Bill Cunningham
03-27-2008, 8:40 PM
Found some at Lowes, we engraved a checker board in it and it came out very well. Black absolute $5.99

Are you sure that wasn't Granite? I've seen brown marble at the big boxes, but no abs. black 'marble'

lucas kreft
03-28-2008, 11:48 AM
I get it for 9/sq ft. But that is in Canada...

Todd Schwartz
03-28-2008, 2:36 PM
Donna,

Home Depot has them at times. 12x12 Absolute black marble. You will need to pick through the pile to get the best ones. I think they were $7 each.

Todd

Jack Harper
03-28-2008, 3:06 PM
I think Bill is right. Home Depot only carries black granite and not black marble. A big difference.

Todd Schwartz
03-28-2008, 4:46 PM
Now you are going to make me go and check -:o Hummm.... I was sure it was marble, remember digging through the pile to find ones without much grain (does granite have white grains like marble?), but heck, I have been wrong before and chances are really good I will be wrong again. Stay tuned for an update.

Todd

Bill Cunningham
03-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Hmmm If it's got veins running through it, it's probably marble.. When I buy the brown stuff, I sort through as many boxes as I can before the 'can I help you' guy shows up :D I also usually bring a printout on vellum with me to set over the marble.. Nothing worse than having a streak of marble grain cross the face in the etching in the form of a 'hitler' moustach :eek: But, I have never seen Black Marble at either H.D. Lowes, or Rona.. If you can when you look get the SKU#

Kevin Warren
04-01-2008, 1:54 PM
Absolute black marble and granite is available in Canada at richwoodline.com

Bill Parker
04-01-2008, 5:17 PM
When I buy the brown stuff, I sort through as many boxes as I can before the 'can I help you' guy shows up :D

I normally just tell them "No, I think I got it" and they say ok and walk away. In these big stores the employees don't really mind, its just there job to see if you need any help or not.

Todd Schwartz
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Finally got off the road and back to the shop. It is indeed Absolute Black Marble from Home Depot, tag on the back had the following part number: BLACWH1212. I also got some Absolute Black granite at the same time, different SKU and different look.

I have only seen it there twice in the last couple of years. Have not looked lately.

Good luck.

Todd

Lamont Ellingson
04-26-2008, 11:14 PM
I found my best source to be a small floor tile store. I went to several larger tile stores and they only want to sell what they stock. The smaller stores will do some looking around in order to get your business.

The tile I get is called Brilliant Black and is excellent for lasered photos. Price is $5.65 sq.ft. and also comes in 16x16.

Location is Tempe, Arizona

Belinda Barfield
04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
All,

Just a word of caution about buying black marble from stores like HD or Lowes. Many times black marble, particularly if imported from China, is dyed to give it that very black color. Use caution when cleaning as certain cleaners may cause fading. I am part owner in a granite and marble fab facility. When cutting black marble slabs with our bridge saw I have seen dye in the water run off from the saw.

Natural, pure black marble is difficult to obtain. If you have a stone supplier near you ask about "China Black No Vein". Often China Black is graded as #1, #2, or #3. The lower the number, the less veining. This material isn't cheap.

"Absolute Black" granite is actually not granite, but basalt. To tell the difference between marble and granite look at the edge of the tile, or the back. Granite has a crystalline structure whereas most marble does not (one exception being "White Thassos"). Another word of caution, advise your customer not to clean marble with anything containing vinegar, or any citric acid. Vinegar, fruit juices, and tomato juice will etch the surface of the stone, as will aggressive products such as Tilex.

AL Ursich
04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Belinda,

Excellent information!!!!

Thanks,

AL

Belinda Barfield
04-27-2008, 3:12 PM
Al, you're welcome.

I posted that info from home this a.m., but had to stop by my office so I decided to pull a couple of price books. The price wasn't as high as I remembered, but that's probably because I was thinking slab price, not tile price. On the last price list I received from G & L Marble (www.glmarble.com (http://www.glmarble.com)) the price for China Black was $4.69 12 x 12 per single, $4.31 per 12 x 12 pallet price - 300 sq ft or more. China Black No Vein was priced at $5.14 per 12 x 12 single, $4.73 per 12 x 12 pallet price. There may have been a price increase though since the last list I received. I checked their website and they don't have a sample on display, so they may not have it in stock. If any of you are interested in contacting them they can ship tile pretty much anywhere. The number is (800) 377-9981.

Ray Mighells
04-27-2008, 7:13 PM
I picked up 200 pcs last Monday at G & L's Jacksonville FL store for $6.86 ea for China Black no veins. I don't see a lot of difference between results with Absolute Black Granite (basalt) and the China Black except the marble has no flaking within.

Belinda Barfield
04-28-2008, 8:05 AM
Thanks for updating the pricing info Ray. I have purchased Absolute Black and China Black from G & L and I agree that there is not a lot of difference between results. I use the granite for anything that will be displayed outside. The surface of marble won't hold up in the weather here more than a year or so. Freeze/thaw cycles aren't much of an issue in the south but wet marble will crack with freezing whereas black granite won't.

Jerry Hay
05-06-2008, 7:19 PM
I have been buying some at lasersketch.com. They sent me a free sample of marble and granite and it is great. I like working with it. I have an order on it's way for some last minute Mother's Day gifts. They also have shapes like hearts and ovals plus all the accessories to hang them and stands to prop them up. Email Captain Jim or give him a call he will take care of you.

Jeff DeVore
05-18-2008, 5:52 PM
Hi Donna,
I live in Northern California and bought 50 12" X 12" marble tiles 3 years ago from Rio Marble & Tile in North Hollywood that they called "China Black" on the receipt. I was planning on trying a new product line but never even had a chance to experiment with it. I would be willing to sell it to you if you still need it. Would probably be expensive to ship however, Jeff.

Tom Cullen
05-18-2008, 6:14 PM
Donna ,
here in San Diego "Tile Force" sell premium black marble ( totally black no viening at all ) I use it for my lasering and get really great results. I believe they have stores in other locations. The 12X12 tiles run about 5.99 each the store I use here in Chula Vista ( south San Diego ) can order them when not in stock but they usually want you to buy in bulk 50-100.

Tom

Howard Garner
05-18-2008, 7:38 PM
Hmmm If it's got veins running through it, it's probably marble.. When I buy the brown stuff, I sort through as many boxes as I can before the 'can I help you' guy shows up :D I also usually bring a printout on vellum with me to set over the marble.. Nothing worse than having a streak of marble grain cross the face in the etching in the form of a 'hitler' moustach :eek: But, I have never seen Black Marble at either H.D. Lowes, or Rona.. If you can when you look get the SKU#
I have a tile from Lowes listed/boxed as black marble
SKU 759147500286

Donna Kobyluk
09-25-2008, 7:09 PM
Hi Jeff,
Just interested if you still have you marble tile and is this black without veins? cost? Could I get a sample? Let me know & thanks, Donna
Achieve Laser Engraving
650-610-9001

Hi Donna,
I live in Northern California and bought 50 12" X 12" marble tiles 3 years ago from Rio Marble & Tile in North Hollywood that they called "China Black" on the receipt. I was planning on trying a new product line but never even had a chance to experiment with it. I would be willing to sell it to you if you still need it. Would probably be expensive to ship however, Jeff.